Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Game shows on DVD

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Game shows on DVD

Since the demise of BCI, it appears the days of game shows on DVD may be over. Is anyone aware of any game show DVD's available, outside of The Match Game, Password, The Price is Right, and You Bet Your Life (the last one issued by Shout Factory).

I know there are some garbage discs put out by Alpha and Mill Creek, so don't bother with those.

It's hard to imagine that they haven't released at least Hollywood Squares on DVD, as it was an all-star show, and was truly funny.
Old 03-26-12, 11:14 AM

Re: Game shows on DVD

don't know of any other US ones, unless you count Celebrity Bowling.

In Australia, there's a set of the "down under" adaptation of 1970s Match Game (called Blankety Blanks and hosted by Graham Kennedy) that came out as a four-disc set awhile back.

There are several UK "game" shows out on DVD (like panel game Joker's Wild and murder mystery Whodunnit, along with more recent panel shows like QI and Would I Lie To You), though they're not exactly the same as what you're probably looking for (a traditional game where civilians compete for cash/prizes, not a show where celebrities are playing a game mostly for laughs/entertainment).
Old 03-26-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand why they wouldn't release full season sets of game shows since there would be so many episodes and so few interested buyers. I do wish there would release some best of compilations though. I'd be interested in quite a few of them.
Old 03-26-12, 11:33 AM

op you forgot they released All star family feud
Old 03-26-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by JackBurton
I understand why they wouldn't release full season sets of game shows since there would be so many episodes and so few interested buyers. I do wish there would release some best of compilations though. I'd be interested in quite a few of them.
Sorta in the same vein but I'd be more interested in a single episode of 100 different game shows. Maybe 100 most popular.
Old 03-26-12, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Shawerma
op you forgot they released All star family feud
Yes, I did forget that. I actually had that set and got rid of it. The celebrity shows just weren't the same. Plus the picture and editing of the set was truly awful.
Old 03-26-12, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by JackBurton
I agree...."best of" sets are most likely. That is what the BCI sets have been.

I realize the tapes for a lot of game shows were wiped in an era before home video was considered. However, there are numerous Hollywood Squares episodes on Hulu, and I'm guessing there are other shows for which there are enough episodes to put together a set.

BCI evidently had Tattletales and What's My Line? sets in the works when they closed their doors.
Old 03-26-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Streaming or MOD seem the most likely options
Old 03-27-12, 06:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Sorta in the same vein but I'd be more interested in a single episode of 100 different game shows. Maybe 100 most popular.
I'd buy that.
Old 03-27-12, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

There's a Jeopardy disc, though it's more about the show and only has like 3 episodes.
Old 03-27-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'd love a set of classic moments, assuming it doesn't already exist. Sometimes when I'm bored, it's great to go to youtube and watch some horrible Family Feud answers, bonehead Wheel of Fortune guesses or contestants who missed the first question on Who Want's to Be a Millionaire.
Old 03-29-12, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I'd love a set of classic moments, assuming it doesn't already exist. Sometimes when I'm bored, it's great to go to youtube and watch some horrible Family Feud answers, bonehead Wheel of Fortune guesses or contestants who missed the first question on Who Want's to Be a Millionaire.

BCI released the Game Show Moments Gone Bananas TV specials that were hosted by Ben Stein, though most of the clips are of the funniest/craziest variety (i.e. comedy moments, not "big win" moments, etc) if something like that interests you.

Mill Creed did a re-release, but no idea if it's a carbon copy of the BCI one or scaled back (like some of their other game show re-releases were content was left off to get the disc count down).