DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Alcatraz -- "Webb Porter" -- 3/19/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-02-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Rami Malek ("Night at the Museum") Guest-Stars

Rebecca, Doc, and Hauser set out to capture musically-inclined serial killer Webb Porter (guest star Malek), an unknown '63 that returns more violent than ever in the all-new "Webb Porter" episode of ALCATRAZ airing Monday, March 19 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (ALC-111) (TV-14 L, V)

Episode 11 of 13

Next week is the 2 hour season finale
Old 03-20-12, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Alcatraz -- "Webb Porter" -- 3/19/12

I think this was the 1st episode that establishes that Hauser and Lucy had some kind of romantic relationship. I knew they were close to some extent, but didn't realize his 1960 alter ego had a romantic relationship with her.

I thought this was an entertaining episode. Porter was an odd 63, but I found him compelling for some reason. The scene where he took the girl with the chopped off hair to the bathroom to drown her was very creepy. And I liked the flashbacks with him and Lucy.

I'm going to assume that Lucy is one of the 63's transported to our time. Rebecca made that assumption by looking at that video and to me it makes sense. Once she arrived in 2012, she probably got in touch with Hauser and afterwards they formed this task force and recruited Diego and Rebecca.

With only 2 hours left this season, I wonder how much ground they can cover, especially with the lingering story arc on who transported all the convicts to 2012. I'm fully anticipating a cliffhanger even though this show's future is uncertain.
Old 03-20-12, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think this was the 1st episode that establishes that Hauser and Lucy had some kind of romantic relationship.
I believe they established that several episodes back, albeit fleetingly.

I didn't realize that the season finale was next week, until the preview last night. The show's been a bit hit-and-miss, but I hope it returns for a 2nd season.
Old 03-20-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the episode was really good. And yeah, Porter was really creepy, this episode could have been a movie directed by Fincher.

I'm pretty sure we will have a big cliffhanger next week.
Old 03-20-12, 10:29 AM

I'm dissapointed that this show is supposedly not doing well in the ratings. I've enjoyed every episode so far, and hope for more seasons. The interesting killers and their back-stories just do it for me.
Old 03-20-12, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't watched Porter yet. The finale needs to be something with Madsen getting involved. Maybe he kidnaps Diego.

As to a 2nd season, ehh, if there is I'll most likely watch unless something more compelling comes along. If it's cancelled that's OK too. I'll miss Jugs, but then I'm sure her "talent" will show up on another show.
Old 03-20-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this show can get as good as Fringe, it just needs time, like Fringe. They are doing a great job building the story.

If they cancel it, I will miss it.
Old 03-20-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who's Hauser, Diego and Rebecca?
Old 03-20-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Hauser=Dr. Grant(Jurassic Park)
Diego=Hurley(Lost)
Rebecca=Juggs(????)
Old 03-20-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was actually just joking. Probably should have put a little winky face or something.

Looks like Juggs gets shot next week. Probably need grandpa's blood to save her.

I forget...did they tell us what Porter's original crime was? Apparently the stuff he was doing in the present time wasn't normal behavior for him or else Hurley would have figured it out right away. Usually Hurley takes one look at a crime scene and is like "Ooh...it's so and so bad guy.". This time he had no clue until he saw his name on the violin. Hurley was even more useless than normal in this episode.

If this gets another season, they really need to find more for him to do.
Old 03-20-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they said he killed his mother.
Old 03-20-12, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I think they said he killed his mother.
Yup. If I'm not mistaken, I think they mentioned killing 4 other women as well.

Looking forward to next week's finale. I'm definitely hoping to see it return, as I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Old 03-21-12, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

I feel like when they sat down to draw out the first season they only addressed the 63 components. With the exception of half a dozen scenes in the present they have had little to no character development. The ladies playing pool was a step in the right direction.

Likewise, they have done less than I would have liked to generate mystery and competent characters. I realize it hasn't been that long a run, but other shows have been much further along at this point.

I think a nice juxtaposition for the finale would be current events contrasted against a pivitol young Hauser/Dr scene. Or the warden popping up. This show has really lacked the WTF moments.

Episode was okay. Let's see what happens when they confront Hauser and the Dr now that they know.

Also, what ever happened to others in promo posters? Did they drop present day characters that were supposed to be on?

BTW, I saw Jack Bender directed this one.

As others have said, I good to see what happens next week, but I won't be sad if it doesn't come back.
Old 03-23-12, 07:33 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I think they said he butchered his mother.
Fixed.
Old 03-23-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I'm going to assume that Lucy is one of the 63's transported to our time. Rebecca made that assumption by looking at that video and to me it makes sense. Once she arrived in 2012, she probably got in touch with Hauser and afterwards they formed this task force and recruited Diego and Rebecca.
But the task force was formed a while back because Juggs' uncle was recruited.

We still don't know how long these guys have been back. Some come back and instantly start killing people and get caught. Other like the Black guy last week seem to have been back for a few months at least and Tommy seems like he's been back for a few years, if he ever even left.