Old 03-16-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Spartacus: Vengeance -- "Balance" -- 3/16/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-26

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Spartacus contemplates an opportunity for revenge after the capture of an influential Roman; intrigue is at a fever pitch among Glaber and the women in his circle.

Episode 8 of 10

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/886tKskVpqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, 2 more to go. Season flew by
Old 03-18-12, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Spartacus: Vengeance -- "Balance" -- 3/16/12

This show is deliciously plotted. Compound fractures always get to me.
Old 03-18-12, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm thought next week was the finale

This was prolly my least enjoyable episode of the season, still enjoyed ofcourse
Old 03-18-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I felt like a lot happened. I started to make a list but it was just too full of developments. I'd end up boilerplating the whole episode. I've enjoyed the 2nd half of the season far more than the 1st.
Old 03-18-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Just caught up with the last three episodes. While I still definitely enjoy the show, it is becoming increasingly obvious, at least to me, that they did a poor job recasting Spartacus. Liam McIntyre just has very little screen charisma. It's unfortunate that my least favorite major character in the Spartacus TV show is Spartacus.
Old 03-18-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It took me a few weeks to get into McIntyre as well, but after last week's face off and a couple of standout scenes in this episode, I feel he has finally made the character his own. In fact, it took at least half the season for the entire show to regain its legs, and all the pieces to come into focus. I don't think many programs could take a loss of two major characters, and the death of the lead actor and remain a solid entertainment.
Old 03-19-12, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I just caught this tonight. This was a pretty freaking insane episode.

Some of the kills by Ashur's hit squad was nuts. Compound fractures, slit throats, Swords going through noses... Lots of blood in this episode.

at the Egyptian taking multiple arrows and still moving in for the kill.

Did Spartacus really think he could trust Gaius Glaber with that proposed deal? He already made it pretty clear that he doesn't give a shit about Ilithyia anymore because of her affair and is only interested in what he thinks is his baby.

and finally, they revealed the most obvious secret that Sparty is the father of her kid. I thought it was interesting how they re-shot that flashback scene from season 1 with McIntyre incorporated after the mask was removed.

at Seppia becoming a spoiled and pampered bitch and then learning the truth about the death of her brother from Lucretia. I loved the look on her face when she was bathing with him.

Finally, it's quite surprising to see how this season was a tale of 2 halves when it comes to the villains. Ilithyia carried the 1st half of this season with her evil and conniving ways and now the 2nd half was been all Glaber/Ashur. Ilithyia has actually become alot more vulnerable.
Old 03-19-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Some of the kills by Ashur's hit squad was nuts. Compound fractures, slit throats, Swords going through noses... Lots of blood in this episode.
I visually skipped all this stuff. I just looked away from the screen and listened for when the scene was over. I don't enjoy that stuff.

at the Egyptian taking multiple arrows and still moving in for the kill.
Badassery.

Did Spartacus really think he could trust Gaius Glaber with that proposed deal? He already made it pretty clear that he doesn't give a shit about Ilithyia anymore because of her affair and is only interested in what he thinks is his baby.
The things that tell us this happened out of sight of Spartacus and his group. And even if we go by that, he has (as you say) expressed that although he doesn't care about his wife, he cares about the baby. Kill Ilithyia and you kill the baby. So you'd think he'd want to save her for that reason alone. What Spartacus (and the audience) came to realize is his hatred of Spartacus (and need to eliminate him from a political perspective) is the driving force behind the man at this point.

and finally, they revealed the most obvious secret that Sparty is the father of her kid.
I left that scene not knowing if she was being truthful or not. They didn't have DNA tests back then, or methods of testing exactly how far along someone is. I assumed she'd had sex with Glaber at least somewhere in the vicininty of her encounter with Spartacus. After all, if Glaber hadn't slept with her, he would know she's lying about the baby being his. At best, I don't think Ilithyia knows whose baby it is. But I allow for the fact that the writers intended her to tell us (and Spartacus) a truth.
Old 03-19-12, 11:27 AM

Except, IIRC, he was in Rome and we don't have a good timeline of when they came back together. He may think its his baby and not know how far along she is. Or, maybe they were together shortly before or after Spartacus. Its not clear and may never be.

As to the Egyptian, it must have been a pretty weak bow because at that distance the arrow should have gone in farther. Esp. the one to the belly as there's not much there to slow an arrow down.
Old 03-19-12, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe your belly, but we're talking Solid Rock Egyptian.
Old 03-21-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Here's a fun game: Take a drink every time someone starts to murder Ilithyia. If you are playing with someone from Wisconsin, to keep it fair they have to also take a drink every time someone starts to murder Lucretia.