DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Alcatraz -- 2 Hours -- "The Ames Bros./Sonny Burnett" -- 3/05/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-02-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Theo Rossi ("Sons of Anarchy") Guest-Stars

In back-to-back all-new episodes, two of Alcatraz's most violent brothers, Herman (guest star Travis Aaron Wade) and Pinky (guest star Graham Shiels) Ames, who were notorious for nearly escaping in 1963, find something mysteriously amiss when they return to Alcatraz in the present day. In the second installment, Sonny Burnett (guest star Theo Rossi), a man with an incredible dark side who became ultra-violent during his stint at Alcatraz, returns in an all-new special two-hour "The Ames Bros./Sonny Burnett" episode of ALCATRAZ airing Monday, March 5 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (ALC-109/10) (TV-14 L, V)

Episodes 8 and 9 of 13

Last week's episode "Clarence Montgomery" which NASCAR killed will air next week. According to one of the writers on the series, who posted on the Alcatraz facebook page, it was standalone.
Old 03-05-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Alcatraz -- 2 Hours -- "The Ames Bros./Sonny Burnett" -- 3/05/12

Thought the first episode was kinda meh but I loved the second one.
Old 03-05-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The first episode was the first one of the series that just didn't hold my attention. I actually didn't feel like continuing to the second. Glad you say the second was better.
Old 03-05-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least for me, if I'm not interested in the weekly bad guy/guys then the episode just won't do it for me. There have been 2 episodes that I couldn't get into. The bank robber one and the first one tonight. In both of those instances I found the bad guys to be completely and utterly boring and forgettable. Not even Juggs or the always excellent flashback scenes could save them for me. On the other hand, I LOVE this show when the bad guy actually interests me. Sonny Burnett was great.

Like I said, the flashback scenes have always been outstanding and I'd watch this show just for that aspect but when the present time bad guy is actually interesting then this show is really good.

My favorite parts of this show are the flashbacks and the whole Lucy/Doctor/Dr Grant/future prison thing. Juggs and Hurley are pretty much just filler for me but if those 2 have to be in the show, at least have them chase an interesting bad guy.
Old 03-06-12, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk God

I just watched hour 1. While the Ames brothers weren't really compelling convicts, there was some good stuff.

Loved that Rebecca got to kick some ass. She took care of Herman and Pinky.

Diego: "If you don't find me the manual ASAP, I'm going to tell Rebecca you own all the Twilight movies on Blu-Ray"

Also, we learned a little more about the mysterious key that the warden was holding and that he also stole the Civil war treasure as well.

Going onto hour 2 now.

A little factoid to mention. Sonny Burnett is played by Theo Rossi, Juice from Sons of Anarchy. He is apparently Sarah Jones real life boyfriend. They met on the set of Sons. If you google their names, you will see lots of pictures of them together.
Old 03-06-12, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Hour 2 was great,

Burnett was a great convict. The fight near the end where he blinded the guy who shanked him was awesome.

So Hauser was under the impression that Burnett's blood would be the solution to getting Lucy out of the coma.

Parminder Nagra is probably loving this job and making some of the easiest money of her career. Shoots a few period scenes with dialogue every other episode and the rest she just lies in a bed.
Old 03-06-12, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched Ames last night and I'll watch Burnett tonight. Any thoughts on what the box was in the 1st show?
Old 03-06-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by barelypure
I watched Ames last night and I'll watch Burnett tonight. Any thoughts on what the box was in the 1st show?
What box? This episode definitely lost me. I don't remember anything about a box.
Old 03-06-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The briefcase that was doing some sort of scan of the cell block in the beginning?
Old 03-06-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First hour was juggstatic!

I though both episodes were good, the second a little better.

Next week we get the missing episode, right?
Old 03-07-12, 01:32 AM

Somebody must have been watching Miami Vice reruns while writing this show (Sonny Burnett?).

Last edited by aynrandgirl; 03-07-12 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-07-12, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
What box? This episode definitely lost me. I don't remember anything about a box.
The guy that got killed and dragged into a cell was out in the middle of the cell block with, maybe a scanner, I don't know. It just seems odd that it wasn't even mentioned even tho Sam, Jugs and Hurley went by it multiple times. I would have thought at some point Jugs or Hurley would have been curious about what it was. Sam probably already knows. Maybe it shows up later in another episode.

Colloidal silver in the blood as a treatment? Who knew?
Old 03-09-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I agree that second episode was better.

Why has all of this built up tension between the warden and deputy warden been missing for the better part of the season? Mix that in with the Dr.'s attempts to fix/recondition people and you have a compelling battle between the "good guys" that contrasts with the inmates.

I can't help but wonder if we'll find the warden is behind all of this. Somehow he was attempting to use Madsen's blood to fix/heal/keep the inmates alive in some crazy scheme to keep his gold. Would lend something to the idea of why the deptuy warden was offed in the first episode. They could use it as an opportunity to have social commentary from the warden's perspective on why/how modern correctional facilities have changed.