Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Davy Jones tributes this weekend March 2-4

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 09:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Davy Jones tributes this weekend March 2-4

Information in the Music Talk section, but none in TV Talk.

The Biography Channel is now (10PM EST) alternating and repeating two Biography programs: one for The Monkees and one for Davy Jones.

http://www.biography.com/tv/daily-schedule
http://www.biography.com/tv/daily-sc...ate=2012-03-03

The schedules have an option for for selecting your time zone.

Antenna TV will be airing all the episodes of The Monkees, plus two showings of the group's theatrical movie, Head.
[From tribune.com]Beginning Saturday, Antenna TV remembers Davy Jones with a weekend-long tribute.

Antenna TV, which airs on 60 affiliates across the U.S. reaching 58% of TV households, will honor Davy Jones and The Monkees beginning with a special airing of “Head” (1968) at 1pm ET on Saturday, March 3rd. Antenna TV will also air a complete 58-episode marathon of The Monkees on Saturday, beginning at 5pm ET, and running straight through to Sunday, March 4th with an encore airing of “Head” at 10PM ET.
The MeTV network will be having their own Davy Jones tribute on Sunday, March 4. They'll be showing The Brady Bunch episode and two episodes of Love, American Style, featuring Jones ("Love and the Elopement" (1970), and "Love and the Model Apartment" (1973)).

http://metvnetwork.com/davyjones.php
Old 03-03-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Davy Jones tributes this weekend March 2-4

One of our local morning show hosts was motherhuckering Davey jones this week. He said he was a real a-hole. The first time he was in the studio Davey allowed just 8 minutes for the interview claiming he had to leave for an important meeting. After leaving the interview they watched him sit outside on the curb for a half hour waiting for his ride. The second time he asked him if he sees much residuals from the monkees days, Davey called him a dick and said he hoped the guy got cancer. The guy said he did have cancer to which Davey replied "good". Although I don't always agree with the political views of this guy, in his defense i will say his interviews are pretty softball. The typical stuff that allows a guy to promote whatever show he's doing.
Old 03-03-12, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Doesn't seem like the right time to be "motherhuckering" the guy. And why would 8 minutes be too short for a segment? I've seen shorter ones on the morning news.
Why is he asking Davy about residuals? I can see that coming off as condescending.
Old 03-03-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I could see him bitching if Davy left the studio and sat in his car for 30 mins but to blame the guy because the driver picking him up is late is kinda lame.

As for the residuals question, show me a celebrity that will talk money in an interview especially when residuals are the subject. This is mostly true when there are cast members that were equal in billing but might not get equal residuals.

Was this second interview being recorded? If he really called him a dick, and wished he had cancer, is there proof of this? But if he really DID say those things, I would imagine to get Davy Jones to say something like that, there would've been some previous questions that got him irritated.
Old 03-03-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not saying the guy's an angel. I'm just telling what I heard and how the guy usually is with his interview subjects.

As far as residuals, it's not an uncommon subject. It's not like he asked the amounts. All he asked was if he got anything from the programs. Casts of Star trek TOS and Gilligans Island, two of the most popular syndicated programs get nothing from those re-runs and they've discussed that in detail in interviews.

For the interview length. Why did the driver go anywhere if he was only going to be 8 minutes? If it were me, I'd be walking back in after 5 or 10 and asking to call the limo company to find out where the guy is. If I really had to be somewhere important I wouldn't sit there for 30 minutes waiting.

When I was in the limousine business i had the pleasure of driving some celebrities who were down to earth and polite. Kirk Cameron, Bill Cosby, Kim Cattrall all acted like they were the next door neighbor. I also drove some self important douche's.

If you're doing an interview you have to expect to answer questions. If there are questions you don't like or you feel the interviewer is getting too personal. i think a simple "sorry, i won't discuss finances" would suffice.

Again, there are many times I'm not a huge fan of this guy, but I will admit, I have never heard him get anywhere near the questions Howard Stern asks his people.
Old 03-03-12, 04:21 PM

^ Well, even if the interviewer is dead right about what happened according to him, it's so unprofessional of him to start talking about how badly Jones treated him after the guy just died. He obviously still holds a grudge.
Old 03-03-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HUG-H
^ Well, even if the interviewer is dead right about what happened according to him, it's so unprofessional of him to start talking about how badly Jones treated him after the guy just died. He obviously still holds a grudge.
I would too if he treated me like that. What the fuck would I care if he was dead or not?
Old 03-03-12, 09:55 PM

It does no good for this to turn into a war if we base all of this on hearsay. I haven't seen the interviews, and I don't know who this guy is or what his comments or rant really sounded like.

I see people saying horrible things about Breitbart elsewhere on the web, and while I am hardly a fan of his, that even seems wrong to me in his death.
Old 03-03-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree about the death part. He also talks about how miserable Jerry Seinfeld is as an interview subject but at least he didn't wish cancer on him
Old 03-04-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
When I was in the limousine business i had the pleasure of driving some celebrities who were down to earth and polite. Kirk Cameron, Bill Cosby, Kim Cattrall all acted like they were the next door neighbor. I also drove some self important douche's.
I shot an interview with Bill Cosby once, which was a treat as I've always loved his stuff. He was grouchy and kind of a jerk. Point being, who knows how celebs really are?

My parents had a little portable B&W TV we used in the car when I was growing up - long before TVs in cars were common. One of the first shows I remember seeing on it was The Monkees. Been a fan ever since. I don't have cable so no marathons for me, but I would love to see some of those episodes again.
Old 03-04-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotta love the dvdtalk double standard. if its nobody you can make all the jokes you want about the person dieing. if its a well liked celeb then youre an asshole for making a joke or talking bad about someone who just died.
Old 03-04-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I don't have cable so no marathons for me, but I would love to see some of those episodes again.
Antenna TV and Me TV are not cable channels. They're digital sub-channels, so you'll get them if they're available in your area.
Old 03-04-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Antenna TV and Me TV are not cable channels. They're digital sub-channels, so you'll get them if they're available in your area.
Ah, cool. I knew about MeTV but hadn't heard of Antenna TV.
Old 03-04-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chino77
gotta love the dvdtalk double standard. if its nobody you can make all the jokes you want about the person dieing. if its a well liked celeb then youre an asshole for making a joke or talking bad about someone who just died.
Hey, I grew up in the days when we were proud of our double standards and I won't apologize for it.