Old 02-13-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Hawaii Five-O -- "I Helu Pu" -- 2/13/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-16

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
"I Helu Pu*" - When Five-0 nearly causes an international incident while on a case, Lt. Governor Denning tells them one of the team members will pay for it with their job, on HAWAII FIVE-0, Monday, Feb. 13 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

(*I Helu Pu is Hawaiian for "The Reckoning")

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bKdGU1aeGt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-13-12, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hawaii Five-O -- "I Helu Pu" -- 2/13/12

I haven't watched this in awhile, but is that annoying blonde that they were trying to force into a relationship with Steve still on the show?

If so, I hope she's the one who loses her job.
Old 02-13-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I haven't watched this in awhile, but is that annoying blonde that they were trying to force into a relationship with Steve still on the show?

If so, I hope she's the one who loses her job.
Lori - Yes, she's still part of Five-O

And no, they aren't doing anything with her and Steve.

Actually Steve's friend with benefits, Catherine (Michelle Borth) is supposed to come back in this episode.

BTW, why are you skipping episodes? This show isn't serialized, but there are episodes that have some carry over, especially the Shellburne stuff with Joe and Wo Fat.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-13-12 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
Lori - Yes, she's still part of Five-O

And no, they aren't doing anything with her and Steve.

Actually Steve's friend with benefits, Catherine (Michelle Borth) is supposed to come back in this episode.

BTW, why are you skipping episodes? This show isn't serialized, but there are episodes that have some carry over, especially the Shellburne stuff with Joe and Wo Fat.
I'll go back and watch what I've DVR'ed at some point (or wait and marathon the blu-rays), but for some reason I don't find myself too concerned with the continuity for this show.
Old 02-13-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Pretty good episode and minimal product ads. Sorry to see Lori go. They must not have known what to do with her. They set her up to be a love interest for Steve, then next thing we know she's gone after half a season.

It's like they're having budget cuts. I feel like they've cut a character about every other episode for the past 6-8.
Old 02-14-12, 01:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Pretty good episode and minimal product ads. Sorry to see Lori go. They must not have known what to do with her. They set her up to be a love interest for Steve, then next thing we know she's gone after half a season.
Perhaps they simply realized that people hated her.
Old 02-14-12, 09:24 AM

That sucks - she was my favourite character. Budget cuts at work?
Old 02-14-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I didn't hate her character, but basically what the governor said was true. She didn't do what she was first tasked to do. I figured that would catch up to her at some point and she wasn't adding that much to the team.

I don't know if they set her up to be McGarrett's love interest. Or she was for Danny as rebound material. They never did make that clear, which is a good thing. They should bring back the museum chick for Danny.

Besides, they almost made it look like Lori was driving the car that hit both the perp and McGarrett.
Old 02-14-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

24 Consulate Plot > Hawaii 5-0 Consulate Plot

I thought Lori was a decent addition. Kono is useless anyways.
Old 02-14-12, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

I knew it would all work out for them, but I was so rooting for a complete clusterfuck. That would have been much more fun.
Old 02-15-12, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk God

to the end of the Lori Weston experiment.

Lauren German confirmed it on her Twitter page that she's gone from the show.

to getting Steve back together with Catherine. I'm not sure if previously she was Steve's official girlfriend, but after this episode, I think it's pretty much a lock.

The problem this show has faced is they can never write a compelling secondary lead female character next to Kono.

Steve's bratty sister - disaster

Jenna Kaye - Noone liked her and now she's dead

Lori Weston - Noone liked her either because she didn't gel with the team and people saw her as a threat to Steve and Catherine.

at Lori's car hitting Steve and the Russian. At least she went out with a bang.
Old 02-15-12, 09:45 AM

Kono herself is not a compelling character. I wish she was, but she isn't. Danny is the most compelling to me, as he has a good backstory, and Steve and Lori were tied at second, because of their screen presence.

The other two, Kono and what's-his-name, are mostly there to look hurt or emotionally suffering - not what I look for in a cop show (also, what I try to avoid in any show, movie or book I read).

On top of this, I think the subplot threads are getting messy, and the writers are having to many people be mysterious and not say things outright when they should. Blue Bloods did a good job of putting its season one plot to bed before it got out of hand - I hope this show does the same, and soon.
Old 02-15-12, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

I agree - Kono is very boring. Even her arc as a undercover (which was so blatantly obvious) was uninteresting.
Old 02-15-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

If you watched any of the original series it was basically Steve and Danno as well. Most of the other characters were secondary. The Lori character it seems was a test to see if she would fit with the team and then maybe make her permanent character but I am sure they got enough feedback that she was not liked.
Old 02-15-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Well this show is very different from the original. I stopped comparing it to that long ago.

The original was more a Dragnet style cop drama. This is a CSI-Miami type action joke-drama where they try to give the characters some more dimension. With Kono, they've basically failed.
Old 02-15-12, 12:31 PM

I missed one. Kamekona, the big fellow who runs the shrimp truck is also more entertaining, complex and interesting than Kono and Chin Ho. Seriously - he's funny, and my favourite recurring character.
Old 02-15-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I do believe Lori was on the passenger side of the surveillance van and not the person actually driving the Mustang. The Mustang comes to a hard stop as Lori is running towards the accident scene. In no way does she vacate that vehicle while it's still moving.

But like I said, it sort of looked as tho she was the one that ran them over.

The show is definitely centered around Steve and Danny. There's only been a couple of episodes dealing with Chin and/or Kono stories.
Old 02-15-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by outlander78
I missed one. Kamekona, the big fellow who runs the shrimp truck is also more entertaining, complex and interesting than Kono and Chin Ho. Seriously - he's funny, and my favourite recurring character.
Most importantly, nobody can sell a product like he can.
Old 02-19-12, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

shouldn't the head of the Russian Consulate have had at least a slight Russian accent?
He'd be a Russian citizen wouldn't he, and not an American?
even a bad over the top fake accent like that FPS Russia guy on youtube does would have been better than no accent at all
Old 02-19-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

to the end of the Lori Weston experiment.

Lauren German confirmed it on her Twitter page that she's gone from the show.

to getting Steve back together with Catherine. I'm not sure if previously she was Steve's official girlfriend, but after this episode, I think it's pretty much a lock.

The problem this show has faced is they can never write a compelling secondary lead female character next to Kono.

Steve's bratty sister - disaster

Jenna Kaye - Noone liked her and now she's dead

Lori Weston - Noone liked her either because she didn't gel with the team and people saw her as a threat to Steve and Catherine.

They've had one hell of a time generating any "chemistry" with the recurring female characters. On the other hand, it seems to me all the male actors work well off each other. They've also been at a loss deciding what to do with Scott Caan relationship-wise. At first it was a straight-forward love/hate thing, then they painted her husband as a creep and started building up the love between Danno and The Ex with her pregnant (supposedly by him). At the beginning of this season they pretty much wrote off The Ex to bring in Autumn Reeser as a potential love interest. That, of course, went absolutely nowhere and we're bringing The Ex back (I guess).

Last edited by DWilson; 02-19-12 at 08:32 PM.