Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Vow

Old 02-12-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Vow

Inspired by true events, "The Vow" features Rachel McAdams as Paige, and Channing Tatum as Leo, a young married couple who experienced an accident which left Paige without her memories for the past handful of years, a span of time before she changed college plans/careers, jilted her then-fiance, became estranged from her family, met and fell in love with Leo. Obviously Leo bares the brunt of knowing how good they were together, only to have Paige understandably be wary of him, as she views Leo as practically a total stranger to her due to her memory loss. Her parents use this event to welcome her back into the family, causing Leo much consternation and heartache.

The plotline goes through Paige's struggles to fill in the gaps, re-connect with the life she once knew from 4-5 years ago, catching up with people important to her then (and uncomfortably in the present at times), and uncovering the reasons why her life changed.

McAdams is perfectly fine in a role she can do in her sleep, but she puts into an earnest effort in portraying Paige's re-discovery of her past and the confused emotional undercurrents she experiences along the way. Tatum is still sort of a lovable lunkhead, but his portrayal of Leo does stretch his acting talents a bit, and his own emotional responses to his wife's condition are equally as ernest, even if their journey as a couple hits quite a pothole and they have to sort through the aftermath.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 02-15-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Vow

Girl goes into a coma, wakes up a bitch. Tatum's character is the only likable one in the whole movie.
Old 02-15-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tatum's character is the only likable one in the whole movie.
Unfortunately, he's not a good enough actor to make you care about him either. Not one genuine emotion from him throughout the film. Think about it. The love of his life no longer remembers him, and he's likely to lose her. Yet not a single tear or one meaningful frown or emotion.

Still, I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 for Rachel McAdams in her underwear.
Old 02-25-12, 11:08 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Saw it with the wife tonight.

We liked it well enough.

I had to do a double take when I saw that Jeff Speakman was in the opening credits, then I read it again and it was Scott Speedman.

Oh well, that would have been cool.

B- from me.
Old 02-26-12, 01:02 AM
Banned

Someone spoil the ending for this thing for me. What happens. Who ends up with who?
Old 02-26-12, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
Someone spoil the ending for this thing for me. What happens. Who ends up with who?
Spoiler:
She doesn't get her memory back, some time passes, and she and Tatum's character manage to re-start their relationship.

I watched this with the girlfriend last week... and yeah, Tatum isn't a good enough actor to pull off the emotional stuff, which means the highs and lows just never get there.
Old 02-26-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
The studio ends up with my hard earned money.
I hit myself in the head with a bowling pin to try to forget movie.
Old 03-07-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Had a free pass so I took the wife to see this today. Not really my cup of tea, but it was alright. Rachel McAdams was a huge factor in helping me get through it. So gorgeous.
Old 03-07-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I don't know if I found any character in this movie all that likable.
Old 03-07-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Spoiler:
She doesn't get her memory back, some time passes, and she and Tatum's character manage to re-start their relationship.

I watched this with the girlfriend last week... and yeah, Tatum isn't a good enough actor to pull off the emotional stuff, which means the highs and lows just never get there.
Sounds like an ending that is trying to be safe but what might be considered edgy at the same time. Do they remain married or does the accident nullify everything? Don't know what the legal precedent is for this kind of thing.
Old 03-07-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Sounds like an ending that is trying to be safe but what might be considered edgy at the same time. Do they remain married or does the accident nullify everything? Don't know what the legal precedent is for this kind of thing.
Well, supposedly its loosely based on a true story where a couple has a similar situation happen.

Spoiler:
If I recall correctly, her dad asks him to sign the divorce paperwork so she can move on with the life she had prior to meeting him. Essentially she used to be a spoiled rich girl who was previously engaged to another guy until she found out her dad had an affair, which made her change her life (moving to the city, becoming an artist, vegetarian, etc) so after the accident she only knew that life.
Old 03-07-12, 05:35 PM
Banned

These people were just on Dr. Phil. Their names are Kim (the husband) and Cricket Carpenter.