Old 02-03-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,603 Posts
Grimm -- "Organ Grinder" -- 2/03/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
As Portland's homeless youth start to go missing, Nick (David Giuntoli) uncovers a deadly black market supplying the Grimm world with human organs for all types of elixirs. As the investigation heightens, Nick and Juliette (Bitsie Tulloch) befriend a pair of homeless siblings, Hanson (guest star Daryl Sabara, "Spy Kids") and Gracie (guest star Hannah Marks, "Necessary Roughness"), whose friends have gone missing. Russell Hornsby, Silas Weir Mitchell, Sasha Roiz and Reggie Lee also star.

Episode 10 of 22

Promo:

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1380813" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Hard to believe that Grimm is actually NBC's only successful new drama this year so far.
Old 02-03-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Grimm -- "Organ Grinder" -- 2/03/12

I'm a few (5-6) of eps behind. Still on the fence. How are you guys liking it?
Old 02-04-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
I'm a few (5-6) of eps behind. Still on the fence. How are you guys liking it?
To answer your question, yes I think it's an entertaining show. It's pretty much a procedural show with a supernatural arc to it (Nick background as a Grimm and the Captain's evil doings) Since your 5-6 behind, I think you should try to make an effort when you have a few hours to marathon them. The season is about 1/2 over and if you procrastinate any longer, your easily going to Fall 10-12 behind and not be able to catch up for the May finale. I know it's tempting to quit a show when you fall too many weeks/months behind.
Old 02-04-12, 02:11 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts

I've been enjoying this show. I was late to the party and watched the first 5 eps in two days.

While I think that they're going to run out of "creatures" one day, they are doing a great job of building the mythology.

I watch Fringe live and then watch this on Hulu or the NBC app the next day... speaking of which, I better watch last night's.
Old 02-04-12, 02:13 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts

From the description: Hanson and Gracie?! I wonder who they are?

I keep thinking that this show and Once Upon A Time should do a cross-network crossover.
Old 02-04-12, 06:08 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm definitely enjoying this show more than Once Upon a Time. And its much easier to watch single episodes of this without feeling like you have missed much in terms of the season long story arc.

I think that's also what holds this show back. It's almost too mindless. They really need to take things to the next level with the supernatural stuff. Watching normal human faces morph into some freaky mutant for 10 seconds isn't enough. I want to see some special powers unique to each of them that make them who they are.

And anyway, what's up with the Grimm dude? Why is it that these creatures, some of whom are way bigger physically and more muscular just cowering before this dude? Just because he has Grimm blood??? Or is it just because he has a gun? I don't get why they are so scared of him?

They need to give the Grimm dude some kind of freaky superpower that justifies him appearing to be a badass.

Grimm's girlfriend can go as far as I'm concerned. The whole 'what will she do when she finds out about my secret life' storyline is boring. Drop her or let some creature eat her so we can move on and see the Grimm dude get it on with the monster chicks
Old 02-05-12, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^This - the show has great potential but they aren't living up to it. Every week Grimm sees a freak, calls on Prison Break dude and they solve a case... I want to get more specifics about WHAT A GRIMM IS - Why are mystical creatures scared of him, since he hasn't done fuck all that any other cop on the planet couldn't do. They need to broaden the mythology and expand on the supernatural stuff to really make each episode more INTERESTING. Instead we get a csi type show with a few moments of cgi thrown in to trick us into thinking it is something different. I don't mind the case of the week stuff but we need a bit more carryover to keep me coming back for more...it's getting super formulaic 10 eps in that I'm nearly ready to quit it.
Old 02-07-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is definitely mindless entertainment(also seems like something you'd see on SyFy). I am entertained, but good points above. Why are they so scared of him? The show definitely could have been better. Not really complaining though because despite the faults I still like it.
Old 02-07-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12
Why are they so scared of him?
I think that you have to ask that question points out a serious flaw in the storytelling so far. A Grimm is feared in the "monster/demon" community because they cannot conceal their true natures from a Grimm without much more effort than they would for an average person. Any sort of emotional distress can cause them to drop their facade just enough for a Grimm to see their true form. And a Grimm's job is to execute such creatures. Nick inherited the ability without learning how to use it or with any sort of tutelage. This is why he needs Monroe to stick around. The creatures are usually expecting to be executed while Nick is currently content to let any of them live their lives as long as they aren't breaking the law (usually murdering people). I would hope that word of his take on being a Grimm starts to spread a little so that every single creature he encounters doesn't become a stereotypical innocent quivering mess when they meet him.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Hard to believe that Grimm is actually NBC's only successful new drama this year so far.
No it isn't.

Last edited by rfduncan; 02-07-12 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-07-12, 03:31 PM

It's pretty clear to me why the monsters are scared of him. He's their bogeyman in every bit how they are normal peoples'. I don't see why folks are making an issue of this. It's the same dynamic as if Monroe wolfed out in front of some human. Reputation and lore.
Old 02-07-12, 06:58 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelWill
It's pretty clear to me why the monsters are scared of him. He's their bogeyman in every bit how they are normal peoples'. I don't see why folks are making an issue of this. It's the same dynamic as if Monroe wolfed out in front of some human. Reputation and lore.
That's the thing... most of the monsters have special 'abilities' (faster, stronger, etc...). It's not just that they look 'weird'. Monroe could easily take on a human.
The current Grimm is nothing special -just an ordinary human being who's able to see monsters as they really are.