Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jones, Refn, or Blomkamp?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who's your favorite?
Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive, Bronson, Valhalla Rising)
51.72%
Neill Blomkamp (District 9)
10.34%
Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code)
34.48%
Other
3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

These 3 relatively young and upcoming directors (all have 3 or less feature films) have impressed me with their work so far. I'm excited about what the future holds for these guys. Who's work have you been most impressed with and/or who's future projects are you most looking forward to?

If there's any other directors that show great potential feel free to list them.
Old 01-26-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Jones, Refn, or Blomkamp?

All of the above?

I gained a new appreciation for Moon the other night when I watched it again. Source Code was really good too so I could go with Jones. On the other hand, Refn made Drive. However, that's the only film from him I've seen and despite my undying love for the film I cannot vote for him without seeing his other works. District 9 was pretty good. It was a unique and fun film that I enjoyed. But it was only one film. So if I have to vote, I guess it's for Duncan Jones.
Old 01-26-12, 09:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Oh man. That's a nearly impossible decision to make!

Drive and Source Code were both in my Top 10 for 2011. Moon and District 9 were fantastic films, and Bronson was pretty cool, too. I have yet to see Valhalla Rising, but it's in my Netflix queue.

Damn you.
Old 01-26-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would be shocked if Blomkamp's "Elysium" isn't awesome, so I had to include him. Really looking forward to it.
Old 01-26-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised that Chris Nolan is only 41...wow, he has a long career ahead of him. I didn't think he was old but he has a much more extensive filmography than the rest of these guys. (Blomkamp is the youngest at 32, Refn and Jones are 41)
Old 01-26-12, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
These 3 relatively young and upcoming directors (all have 3 or less feature films) have impressed me with their work so far. I'm excited about what the future holds for these guys. Who's work have you been most impressed with and/or who's future projects are you most looking forward to?

If there's any other directors that show great potential feel free to list them.
uhm...Refn has made 8 films and he's 41. I think he's been pretty established in his career for a while. Now w/ Drive..he's hit it big .
Old 01-26-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
uhm...Refn has made 8 films and he's 41. I think he's been pretty established in his career for a while. Now w/ Drive..he's hit it big .
He only has 3 feature films (in English) that have been released in the US. Nobody knew who he was until Bronson. Have you seen any of his films besides the ones I mentioned? No? I rest my case.
Old 01-26-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shane Carruth.

Refn. 'cause he made Bronson and that's enough for me.
Old 01-26-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Shane Carruth.

Refn. 'cause he made Bronson and that's enough for me.
Didn't care much for Primer...it was a chore to get through actually.
Old 01-26-12, 10:01 PM

He only has 3 feature films (in English) that have been released in the US. Nobody knew who he was until Bronson. Have you seen any of his films besides the ones I mentioned? No? I rest my case.
So, wait.. because he has films that weren't released in the US, that means nobody has heard of him? No. That means you didn't hear of him. I saw the Pusher trilogy way before I ever even heard of Bronson.
Old 01-26-12, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

actually yes...Pusher trilogy was cool. And Fear X was in English. He's not new. New to the US? Depends on how you mean it. But he's known. Now moreso than before cuz of Bronson for sure, Valhalla didn't really raise him any higher, and Drive sure as fuck did.

He's not new. And he's 41 years old. He's not a young guy. He's not an old fuck but he's a mature (take that as you well) man w/ a solid career.
Old 01-26-12, 10:12 PM

I should really see Drive.
Old 01-26-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
actually yes...Pusher trilogy was cool. And Fear X was in English. He's not new. New to the US? Depends on how you mean it. But he's known. Now moreso than before cuz of Bronson for sure, Valhalla didn't really raise him any higher, and Drive sure as fuck did.

He's not new. And he's 41 years old. He's not a young guy. He's not an old fuck but he's a mature (take that as you well) man w/ a solid career.
Why do you keep pointing out his age? I know how old he is. I listed it before you posted it. Do you also know what the phrase "relatively speaking" means? He's young relative to the big name directors we know in the US. He may have had a niche following here in the US but didn't enter the general moviegoing public's consciousness until Bronson, which was his first feature released here.

Anyway stop nitpicking, the point of this thread was that these 3 guys have made a name for themselves with the films they've released in the US over the last couple of years and have a long career ahead of them.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 01-26-12 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-26-12, 10:37 PM

Yes, I've seen all 3 Pusher movies and have wanted to see Bleeder well before Drive ever came out.
Old 01-26-12, 10:46 PM
Banned

That sucks that Refn's so old then, because he's promising as an up-and-comer, but other than Drive (and let's face it, most people have not seen Drive. Even that movie is still very indie) I guarantee no normal person has heard of him. Unless Drive actually leads to something looks like he'll spend the rest of his life as an under-appreciated indie director.
Old 01-27-12, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All three are obviously very talented filmmakers. Since I want to see how their respective careers develop, I'm going to hold off casting my vote until 2015...just to be sure.

Bronson is a particular favorite of mine, looking forward to seeing Drive next week.

Blomkamp and Jones are batting a thousand so far.
Old 01-27-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yea refn doesnt count in this poll, he has had almost ten films to hone and perfect the craft. the other guys have only made two flicks.
Old 01-27-12, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shane Carruth.
+1
The guy practically goes off the grid for several years after Primer; an incredibly well executed film on a tiny budget ($7k), with Curruth filling in all major production duties. Took 5 weeks to film it, and 2 years to post. It has zero special effects. He has done nothing in the industry before Primer, and nothing since.

I'd say his input:expectation ratio is bigger than the 3 listed by the OP, even though I love Drive, District9, and can appreciate Moon.

For me, what he is doing next is as exciting as waiting for Tarantino to follow up Reservoir Dogs.

I hope he delivers without pressure, and doesn't end up another Richard Kelly.

Forgot to add, it was filmed with a 2:1 shooting ratio, while Spielberg shooting 4:1 is considered low.

Last edited by fmian; 01-27-12 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-27-12, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jeff nichols.
Old 01-27-12, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ben Affleck.
Old 01-27-12, 02:38 AM

Yeah, really wanna see Argo.

fmian, it's not a directing or writing credit but Carruth is the effects supervisor on Rian Johnson's Looper. He should also be mentioned, btw.
Old 01-27-12, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As per the thread's guidelines, I voted Refn based off Bronson and Drive alone.

Outside of the thread's guidelines? Rian Johnson because his only two films, Brick and The Brothers Bloom, are awesome. I can't wait for Looper this fall... which Shane Carruth helped out with.

I'd love for Paramount to finally release Oren Peli's Area 51 to see if the man isn't a one pump chump. And yes, I thought the original Paranormal Activity was a fantastic slow burn.

Speaking of slow burns, I'd even nominate Ti West based upon The House of the Devil, but he's made more than three films and Cabin Fever 2 is wretched.
Old 01-27-12, 02:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Refn is not comparable to the other two, as previous posters have mentioned. His filmmaking technique is more mature than the others, due to the fact that he's been making films since the 90's.
Old 01-27-12, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

fmian, it's not a directing or writing credit but Carruth is the effects supervisor on Rian Johnson's Looper. He should also be mentioned, btw.
Yes, I saw a photo of Curruth in the Looper thread.
I am guessing his role is to make sure all the time travel stuff seems genuine.
Old 01-27-12, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't love District 9, so out goes Blomkamp. I liked Moon, but didn't love it, out goes Jones.

Loved Bronson & Drive, Refn it is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.