Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Red Hook Summer - A Spike Lee Joint (Summer 2012)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Spike Lee Sundance Rant

Spike Lee doesn't hold back. The Oscar-nominated man behind "Do the Right Thing" and "Malcolm X" went off on Hollywood after Chris Rock asked a question following the Sundance screening for Lee's new film, "Red Hook Summer."

According to Entertainment Weekly, the film was screened for a large audience, some of whom left after the film took a controversial twist. That didn't seem to faze Lee. However, when Chris Rock asked Lee about financing the film, the director went off on a bit of a tirade.

2012 Sundance Film Festival Portraits

Rock, who appeared to be joking around, said, "You spent your own money ... What would you have done differently if you'd actually gotten studio money? What else would have happened? Would you have blown up some (bleep)?"

Lee, apparently unamused, responded, "We never went to the studios with this film. I bought a camera and said we're gonna do this mother(bleeping) film ourselves. I didn't need a mother(bleeping) studio telling me something about Red Hook! They know nothing about black people! Nothing!" Lee then added, "And they're gonna give me notes about what a 13-year-old black boy and girl do in Red Hook? (Bleep) no!"

Yahoo! Movies: Sundance Film Festival 12

Lee later apologized for his outburst. "Sorry for that mother(bleeping) tirade," he said. "My wife is looking at me like I'm crazy."

"Red Hook," which stars Clarke Peters of "The Wire" and "Treme," is the story of a young boy from Atlanta who spends the summer in Brooklyn with his grandfather, whom he has never met. Lee makes an appearance as "Mookie," his character from "Do the Right Thing." However, Lee was quite clear when he told audiences that "Red Hook Summer" is not a "mother(bleeping) sequel" to "Do the Right Thing."

Got that, everybody? Not. A. Sequel.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/sundan...213602690.html

I really liked some of Lee's films (25th hour, inside man, Do the right thing)
There should be a running joke whenever someone interviews Lee about the movie always asks "Is this a sequel to do the right thing?"
Old 01-23-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Red Hook Summer- A Spike Lee Joint (Summer 2012?)

However, Lee was quite clear when he told audiences that "Red Hook Summer" is not a "mother(bleeping) sequel" to "Do the Right Thing."
Then that should make Mookie the next Mick Travis!
Old 01-23-12, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and cuz I didn't know wtf the film was about..here's what IMDB had...

A boy from Atlanta lands in Brooklyn to spend the summer with his grandfather, who he's never seen before.
Old 01-23-12, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
and cuz I didn't know wtf the film was about..here's what IMDB had...
umm i posted the same synopsis in my op. I wanna go in as fresh as possible with this movie. I'm curious to find out what the twist halfway through is.
Old 01-23-12, 07:38 PM
Banned

well shit..somehow I missed that.
Old 01-23-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I'm curious to find out what the twist halfway through is.
Sal is Mookie's father.
Old 01-23-12, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot wait. Sounds fantastic. I will b there opening weekend (if it actually comes any where within an hr. of me that is)
Old 01-23-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He needs to retire.
Old 01-23-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by crazychris88
I cannot wait. Sounds fantastic. I will b there opening weekend (if it actually comes any where within an hr. of me that is)
Why haven't you been banned yet?
Old 01-23-12, 11:23 PM
Banned

Well the last time I yelled at a Chris he was banned. He's got to be that chris. He's got to be.
Old 01-24-12, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

It's been quite awhile since Miracle at St Anna, I've been wondering when Spike Lee was going to do another feature film (not a doc). I'm intrigued by the "controversial twist" that allegedly drove people from the theaters. I'd like to see the movie without knowing what it is but I'm positive it will be spoiled before the film is released. Will probably become the main marketing point.

I was also working on a joke about Red Hook being the XXX version of Red Tail but couldn't come up with anything.
Old 01-24-12, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Well the last time I yelled at a Chris he was banned. He's got to be that chris. He's got to be.

Please Snake, don't wear your obsession on your sleeve. You need to let it go.
Old 01-24-12, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate Spike Lee and this is an example of why I feel that way.

I'll never see this or any other movie that comes from this hack.
Old 01-24-12, 05:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'm intrigued by the "controversial twist" that allegedly drove people from the theaters. I'd like to see the movie without knowing what it is but I'm positive it will be spoiled before the film is released.

The "twist" is this...

Spoiler:
the grandfather, a devout evangelical preacher who takes the kid under his wing and opens his eyes- played by The Wire's Clark Peters- is revealed to be a pedophile in a graphic flashback that unflinchingly shows him raping a child. It's a twist that probably wouldn't be met by such negativity if there were allusions or hints to this facet of the character somewhere else in the film, but apparently it comes out of left-field near the end in what is otherwise described as an accessible coming-of-age story. Think Morgan Freeman's Joel Clark in Lean on Me revealed to be having relations with several of his students at film's end. And he was just a Principal.

Old 01-24-12, 05:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tarantino
A hack wouldn't be able to make one of the truly great films of the 1980's.
Old 01-24-12, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On to Oldboy...
Old 01-24-12, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino

Why because he was telling the truth AGAIN! and you don't want to accept it
Old 01-24-12, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
A hack wouldn't be able to make one of the truly great films of the 1980's.
Some people just hate Spike no matter what he says. His is outspoken but I can't blame him for speaking the truth about this stuff. No one else does. Do you think Tyler Perry is(speaking of hacks, that is the real hack). He doesn't care as long has shitty movies continue to make it to the theaters. Spike has made some good, really good movies along with some bad ones but to say he's a hack is completely untrue and out of line.
Old 01-24-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Don't care much for Spike Lee the person, but 25th Hour and Inside Man are great films.
Old 01-24-12, 06:36 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

He is a very uneven director. He's never topped Do The Right Thing (which is a fucking brilliant film) and while he's made some other good films he's also made some aboslutley awful films like Girl 6, Miracle at St Anna, and Summer of Sam.

I've always found him very inarticulate. Most directors are incredible raconteurs, it's part of being a great storyteller, but Lee is all "Umm's" and "Uhhhh's" in interviews and he looses his train of thought frequently. He frequently makes these incoherent and profane statements at film festivals. I think he does it to get attention, but you should say attention getting things that don't make you look dumb. Lars Von Trier has the same problem. There's controversy and then theirs making an idiot out of yourself.
Old 01-24-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I actually like Summer of Sam. Miracle at St. Anna is a piece of crap. Never seen Girl 6.
Clockers, Bamboozled, 25th Hour and of course DTRT are all excellent IMO
Old 01-25-12, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I think his greatest films are Do The Right Thing, Mo Better Blues, Get On The Bus, He Got Game, Summer of Sam, 25th Hour.

Bamboozled, Clockers have a lot of flaws, but overall are very good.

Excluding his very early work, the only films I've seen of his I'd consider awful are Jungle Fever and Girl 6.

I admire Spike Lee's work alot. So much that I learned to ignore all the stupid stuff he says (like threatening to beat Wim Wenders with a baseball bat, or saying Charleton Heston should be shot, or believing that dumb urban legend about Liz Claibrone saying black people shouldn't wear her clothing) much the way I ignore Polanski being a rapist or Woody Allen being a creepy old man.

Still, I'm always shocked by the vitriol a lot of internet people spew the second Spike Lee's name is mentioned. He barely said anything inflammatory, just saying he didn't make the film with a studio, just as George Lucas has been running around saying all week about his airplane movie.

I could be coy and only hint that I suspect race is the main thing fueling people's over the top anger at Lee, so I'll just flat out say race is the main factor that fuels people's over the top anger at Lee.

I don't think Spike Lee hates white people. You don't need to be so defensive.
Old 01-25-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

He barely said anything inflammatory, just saying he didn't make the film with a studio, just as George Lucas has been running around saying all week about his airplane movie.
I was about to say the same thing.
Every interview Lucas has done he has criticized the studio system and pretty much called it racist without using the 'R' word.
Old 01-25-12, 09:27 AM
Banned

I think his greatest films are Do The Right Thing, Mo Better Blues, Get On The Bus, He Got Game, Summer of Sam, 25th Hour.

Bamboozled, Clockers have a lot of flaws, but overall are very good.

Excluding his very early work, the only films I've seen of his I'd consider awful are Jungle Fever and Girl 6.

I admire Spike Lee's work alot. So much that I learned to ignore all the stupid stuff he says (like threatening to beat Wim Wenders with a baseball bat, or saying Charleton Heston should be shot, or believing that dumb urban legend about Liz Claibrone saying black people shouldn't wear her clothing) much the way I ignore Polanski being a rapist or Woody Allen being a creepy old man.

Still, I'm always shocked by the vitriol a lot of internet people spew the second Spike Lee's name is mentioned. He barely said anything inflammatory, just saying he didn't make the film with a studio, just as George Lucas has been running around saying all week about his airplane movie.

I could be coy and only hint that I suspect race is the main thing fueling people's over the top anger at Lee, so I'll just flat out say race is the main factor that fuels people's over the top anger at Lee.

I don't think Spike Lee hates white people. You don't need to be so defensive.
Yeah, otherwise he wouldn't have made The Inside Man. A film w/ some damn fine white people...and also Denzel Washington.
Old 01-25-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

No love for Malcolm X? That's a damn fine movie and may be better then DTRT IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.