Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 08:43 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Bates Motel - Psycho prequel TV series coming to A&E

http://thedeadcentre.com/2012/01/13/...-coming-to-ae/

Here’s the official announcement from A&E:

Bates Motel serves as a prequel to the most famous fright film of all-time, Psycho. A&E is currently in script development. Bates Motel will give viewers an intimate understanding of how Norman Bates’ psyche developed from his childhood through his teen years. Fans will have access to the dark, twisted backstory and learn first hand how his mother, Norma, and her lover damaged Norman, helping forge the most well-known serial killing motel owner in history.
Old 01-14-12, 08:51 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Bates Motel - Psycho prequel TV series coming to A&E

Hopefully it's better than the pilot/tv movie they did in the 80s...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_Motel

And didn't they cover this ground in the made-for-Showtime prequel, Psycho IV: The Beginning? Granted, that one wasn't perfect itself.
Old 01-14-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Sounds horrible but probably a much watch for me. I hope they don't try and shoehorn in a Marion Crane meeting when they were kids.
Old 01-14-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They numbered the sequels II, III and IV but it was like there was little or no continuity between them. I think the only new plot element that recurs in the sequels is the fact that Bates has been released from the hospital. I've never seen "Bates Motel" but I understand it doesn't jibe with any of the sequels either. It's almost like a series with one canonical film and 4 alternate sequels.

So yeah. I doubt they really care about whether or not similar ground has been covered in IV or not. Nor should they. I remember suffering through II and III in hopes that IV would be something of a return to form (which is impossible without Hitchcock but it did have the original screenwriter) only to find it was much, much worse.

I don't know if there's enough material for a TV series but I think there is an interesting story there and IV dropped the ball big time.
Old 01-14-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, II and III both have strong ties to the original film, particularly II. That's the best of all the sequels. III is bad, but in a terrible '80s kinda way. And Jeff Fahey is all kinds of crazy in it. Perkins always was the standout, though, so his absence will mean this won't be worth a shit.

Anyone ever watched the Bates Motel pilot on YouTube? Oh lordy, it's bad...
Old 07-02-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/ae-n...ect-to-series/

A&E officially greenlit this today. 10 episodes ordered. They didn't even shoot a Pilot. It said in the official press release that casting will begin soon.

Carlton Cuse from Lost is the Executive Producer
Old 07-02-12, 01:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

"From the creator of Nash Bridges comes a new kind of horror..."
Old 07-02-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

If they're smart, they'll shoot it in B&W. But if they were smart, they wouldn't have greenlit it without a pilot.
Old 07-02-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Hopefully it's better than the pilot/tv movie they did in the 80s...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_Motel

And didn't they cover this ground in the made-for-Showtime prequel, Psycho IV: The Beginning? Granted, that one wasn't perfect itself.
I saw that 80's pilot/tv movie a few years back on USA and it was pretty bad. I remember part of the plot seemed to imply that the Bates Motel had supernatural powers or something.
Old 08-27-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/vera...s-norma-bates/

And Norman Bates Mom has been cast. Vera Farmiga has been cast as Norman Bates Mom.

Good Choice I like her.
Old 08-27-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a feeling they are going to try to do an American Horror Story kind of thing here.
Old 08-27-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm okay with that, you'll know for sure when Taissa Farmiga shows up.
Old 08-27-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/vera...s-norma-bates/

And Norman Bates Mom has been cast. Vera Farmiga has been cast as Norman Bates Mom.

Good Choice I like her.
Seems like a weird choice. I mean Vera has been in a lot of movies. Not starring roles, but quite a few supporting roles. Wonder why she's coming back to TV. Loved her in Touching Evil, though.
Old 08-27-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deftones
Seems like a weird choice. I mean Vera has been in a lot of movies. Not starring roles, but quite a few supporting roles. Wonder why she's coming back to TV. Loved her in Touching Evil, though.
I do remember her from Touching Evil. It's funny that show was a rare bust for USA.

I guess Up in the Air could be considered a lead role. But you're right, she's been mostly cast as a supporting character. Her last big movie was Safe House and she was a supporting character in that too.

I'm guessing doing a 10 episode series with regular paychecks coming in is appealing to her.
Old 08-27-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

She hasn't been lead very often, only movie I can really think of is Orphan (imo, underrated) and Higher Ground (which she directed). Maybe she just really enjoys horror movies and wanted to be part of a prequel to a classic... who knows. Plus cable production schedules seem to be far less strenuous than broadcast.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-27-12 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-30-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From Badass Digest:

Ryan Rotten at Shock Til You Drop has gotten a hold of the script for the pilot of Bates Motel, A&E's new guaranteed 10 episode Psycho prequel show. But this isn't exactly a prequel to the 1960 Psycho, it's more like a prequel to an upcoming reboot of Psycho. The show is set in the modern day, and it features 16 year old Norman Bates with a cell phone going to big high school parties.

The show is set before the opening of the Bates Motel. Norma and Norman Bates move into town after something happens to Norman's dad. Mom sleeps around and begins preparing to open the motel. Meanwhile, it turns out that Norman has an older brother, a 'James Dean type' who rides around on a motorcycle.

Norman's a weirdo already, and his unusual relationship with his mom is in full swing in the pilot. But the show really lets us in on Norman's pecularities in a way I like: it makes him a fan of manga! I knew all those guys were pervs and potential killers. Norman finds a manga with "young, Asian girls in various states of sexual slavery" and squirrels it away for later use. I hope that before he crossdresses as his mom he begins crossdressing cosplay as Sailor Moon or something.

Ryan's rundown doesn't include it, but I've heard that there are murders in the pilot, and that the show is set up in such a way that there will be killings on a regular basis. Whether or not it's Norman doing those killings is another matter...

Whew! For a second I was worried I might actually want to watch this....
Old 09-14-12, 06:13 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Going younger than I imagined....

Bates Motel Casts Freddie Highmore as Norman

Former child actor Freddie Highmore is checking into Bates Motel. The Finding Neverland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory star has nabbed the coveted role of Norman Bates in A&E’s buzzy Psycho prequel, TV Guide Magazine reports. From executive producers Carlton Cuse (Lost) and Kerry Ehrin (Friday Night Lights, Parenthood), the series (slated to bow in 2013) is a contemporary look into Bates’ formative years, which includes his storied relationship with his mother, played by the previously cast Vera Farmiga. The glimpse into their backstory will, of course, reveal how the someday serial killer came to be. Highmore’s limited TV credits include a British small-screen film Toast as well as the 2001 mini-series The Mists of Avalon.
Edit: and reading the posted above me...yikes... This sounds like shit.
Old 09-14-12, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I always thought Freddie Highmore was kind of creepy looking. That doesn't seem like bad casting.

Now the write up from Badass Digest just seems awful. Do we really need to see Norma as a anime loving teenager with an older brother? It just seems like an all around terrible idea.
Old 09-14-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I was mildly interested in this until reading that article from Badass Digest. Sounds awful, I mean seriously Norman going to big high school parties and being into anime and stuff? Screw that. Also if they're planning a reboot I don't really see why. The remake they did back in 1998 was shit and I don't really think it's the type of film that needs an update anyways.
Old 12-16-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

The 1st teaser/promo featurette is out:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nkn5aEadrX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It say the show will premiere in March
Old 12-16-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Are you fucking shitting me with this premise? Now I'm honestly surprised they didn't go the "Real Gilligan's Island" route and had two teams of people play the roles and try to operate a fake hotel.
Old 02-05-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Badass Digest
But the show really lets us in on Norman's pecularities in a way I like: it makes him a fan of manga! I knew all those guys were pervs and potential killers. Norman finds a manga with "young, Asian girls in various states of sexual slavery" and squirrels it away for later use. I hope that before he crossdresses as his mom he begins crossdressing cosplay as Sailor Moon or something.

The teaser/trailer doesn't look terrible to me, but I'm not going to be watching.
Old 02-05-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's about where I am too. In fact I haven't sampled any of 2013's new shows yet, tho I'm vaguely interested in several. Promo's generally don't sell me anymore; I can always catch up in the rare cases where the shows last or prove strongly worthwhile.
Old 02-05-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by adamblast
That's about where I am too. In fact I haven't sampled any of 2013's new shows yet, tho I'm vaguely interested in several. Promo's generally don't sell me anymore; I can always catch up in the rare cases where the shows last or prove strongly worthwhile.
I haven't even gotten around to watching my season passes of Arrow and Revolution (did watch part of the pilot) yet!
Old 02-05-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

LOL when he sees his mother having a wank. I guess that's what scarred him...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.