Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Double Dip (10/01/2012)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The original 2008 Dark Sky release of the film is now OOP and Warner will be reissuing The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Blu-ray as a 40th Anniversary Edition on October 1st, 2012.

No technical specifications or bonus materials have been announced yet. An early announcement nonetheless, but I'm curious how Warner will top the original release. While the AQ and PQ were decent, they could use upgrades; however, can they top the bonus material the Dark Sky release had?

For those who are unaware of what the original Blu-ray release had:
  • PCM 2.0 Stereo (lossless), Dolby Digital 1.0 Mono (lossy) and DTS 5.1 (lossy).
  • Two audio commentaries (original laserdisc commentary and the commentary recorded for Dark Sky's DVD release).
  • Two documentaries (The Shocking Truth and Flesh Wounds: Seven Stories of the Saw).
  • Two featurettes (Chainsaw House Tour and Off the Hook).
  • Deleted scenes and outtakes.
  • Blooper reel.
  • Galleries.
Once all was said and done, the Dark Sky included nearly four hours of bonus video material alone. It'll be interesting if Warner has gained the rights for it use it for their release or if they'll start from the ground up.
Old 01-12-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Double Dip (10/01/2012)

As I said in the Announcements thread, I really hope they port over the Dark Sky extras, as I never picked that one up. Speaking of Dark Sky, I wish they hadn't abandoned catalog titles, as they put out some solid discs.
Old 01-12-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
As I said in the Announcements thread, I really hope they port over the Dark Sky extras, as I never picked that one up. Speaking of Dark Sky, I wish they hadn't abandoned catalog titles, as they put out some solid discs.
Do you have an FYE near you? I picked up my copy there last spring for $9.99 and they had quite a few. I'd also peek into Best Buy to see if they have any copies left as well as a lot of people on here (and Blu-ray.com) found them there for $9.99 as well (despite the price being listed as $24.99).

The documentaries are great, but I'm hoping Warner at least does right by the title and give it a 2K or 4K restoration.
Old 01-12-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I had no idea the original release was OOP. I picked it up release week at Family Video for $9.99. It is a really great disc, too. I thought the movie looked better than ever, though you always get people who wish it looked more like the VHS.

Not sure how I feel about this double-dip. I'm just going to have to go into wait and see mode until we hear more about the AV quality, extras, MSRP. If there are some new extras and upgraded picture, I could see myself picking it up when it gets marked down because I really love the film.
Old 01-12-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Is it really a double-dip when one studio lost the rights and another picked them up and released their own vesion?
Old 01-12-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang
It is a really great disc, too. I thought the movie looked better than ever, though you always get people who wish it looked more like the VHS.
Yes, the Blu-ray looked phenomenal and I've seen the film on VHS, the original Pioneer DVD (which was a direct port of the laserdisc), and both the DVD and Blu-ray from Dark Sky. The transfer has its faults, but for being a film shot on low stock 16mm, it looks fan-fucking-tastic compared to other films from that era (ahem, MGM's Blu-ray of The Last House on the Left, ahem).

I'd personally rather see Warner give The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning a proper Blu-ray release first despite already owning the Alliance Blu-ray (which I also picked up from FYE for $9.99 the same day). And come on MGM, where's the Blu-ray of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2?
Old 01-12-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My local Second Spin is flooded with the Dark Sky release, selling for $8.99 I believe. The only reason for me to pick it up (since I've got the 2-disc steelbook they put out on DVD) is for the extra featurette Off the Hook. I'll likely just wait and see what WB has in store. It's either going to be a fantastic, balls-out release... or a cheap, shitty quick cash grab to tie in with the new 3D film (likely to include movie cash as well).
Old 01-12-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Is it really a double-dip when one studio lost the rights and another picked them up and released their own vesion?
I don't blame Warner for releasing its own version, but it still qualifies as a double-dip for those consumers who already bought the first release. That's just my view on it.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
And come on MGM, where's the Blu-ray of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2?
I would love to see that.
Old 01-12-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Yes, the Blu-ray looked phenomenal and I've seen the film on VHS, the original Pioneer DVD (which was a direct port of the laserdisc), and both the DVD and Blu-ray from Dark Sky. The transfer has its faults, but for being a film shot on low stock 16mm, it looks fan-fucking-tastic compared to other films from that era (ahem, MGM's Blu-ray of The Last House on the Left, ahem).

I'd personally rather see Warner give The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning a proper Blu-ray release first despite already owning the Alliance Blu-ray (which I also picked up from FYE for $9.99 the same day). And come on MGM, where's the Blu-ray of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2?
TCM: The Beginning is a piece of shit.

I'm hoping TCM 2 gets a release since it'll also tie in nicely with this release and the upcoming feature. I think it has a better chance than many other MGM horror titles.
Old 01-12-12, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I picked it up release week at Family Video for $9.99. It is a really great disc, too. I thought the movie looked better than ever.
Same here. In fact, that was my first Blu-Ray, and it really sold me on what the format was capable of.
Old 01-12-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm hoping TCM 2 gets a release since it'll also tie in nicely with this release and the upcoming feature.
I'd be in for TCM III too, though at a pretty low price-point.
Old 01-12-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too, I really would like a copy of Ils on Blu.
Old 01-12-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

They're 2 years too early, but still scary how close this is to being 40 years old (as am I!)
Old 01-12-12, 05:54 PM

The Dark Sky Blu-Ray release got two variants.

The standard paper sleeve

and the

The Rare Holofoil paper sleeve
Old 01-12-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be in for TCM III too, though at a pretty low price-point.
Absolutely. I love that movie. It's got one of my favorite trailers ever.
Old 09-09-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
They're 2 years too early, but still scary how close this is to being 40 years old (as am I!)
I've never understood how so many "Anniversary" editions are prematurely released. Do the studios not know how to add?

Anyway, whatever happened to this release?
Old 09-09-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I've never understood how so many "Anniversary" editions are prematurely released. Do the studios not know how to add?

Anyway, whatever happened to this release?
From what I see, it's still listed to be released on October 1st, but there's no pre-order on Amazon or anything. One would think that they would be releasing this before Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D comes out in theaters. We'll have to wait and see what happens, but it doesn't look too good that it isn't available for pre-order on Amazon and it's supposed to be out October 1st...
Old 09-09-12, 04:48 PM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I really don't think it's being released next month, it's probably being held for when the new one hits theaters or home video
Old 09-09-12, 06:38 PM
Cool New Member

I don't one this one on Blu-Ray so defiantly picking this up.
Old 09-09-12, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm actually thinking about buying the previous release that had all the great shit on it. plus it was good looking too. Rocked well on DVD...now I can get it on BD.

What are the chances that a new version will be better?
Old 09-09-12, 06:58 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'm actually thinking about buying the previous release that had all the great shit on it. plus it was good looking too. Rocked well on DVD...now I can get it on BD.

What are the chances that a new version will be better?
I'm not sure, Warner has not released any info on it, not even cover art. I don't think that is a good sign.

I already own the steelbook DVD with all the special features in the Blu-Ray, so I'll buy this BD in hopes for something new.
Old 09-09-12, 07:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm plenty happy with the first Blu release and the German 4 disc set. Unless the new release is on par with that, I'll be skipping.
Old 09-09-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We need a mod to change the date to be TBA.

Rumors over on Blu-ray.com are speculating Warner pushed the set back to 2013 considering Lionsgate delayed Texas Chainsaw 3D to January 4th, 2013. If we don't get an announcement soon, I expect the Blu-ray to be out close to Lionsgate's Blu-ray release of the remake/reboot/sequel/whatever-the-fuck-it-is.
Old 09-09-12, 10:39 PM

I ordered the previous BD release from Amazon for $15. I previewed it at a friend's house last year and The Shocking Truth doc is excellent. The PQ was excellent for such an old classic.
Old 09-19-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

... and now the rights are back with Dark Sky, who will be releasing a 40th anniversary edition next year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.