Old 01-06-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Chuck -- "Chuck Versus the Kept Man" -- 1/06/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
While Chuck (Zachary Levi) and Sarah (Yvonne Strahovski) contemplate the next step for Carmichael Industries, Casey's (Adam Baldwin) forbidden love, Gertrude Verbanski (guest star Carrie-Anne Moss, "The Matrix"), walks back into his life with a questionable mission in South Beach. Meanwhile, Jeff's (Scott Krinsky) enhanced intelligence leads he and Lester (Vik Sahay) to suspect that something unusual may be happening at the Buy More. Joshua Gomez, Ryan McPartlin and Mark Christopher Lawrence also star.

Episode 9 of 13
Old 01-06-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Chuck -- "Chuck Versus the Kept Man" -- 1/06/12

Getting sad that the end is near.
Old 01-06-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the John Casey Gertrude Urbansky dynamic. One of my favorite shows, am so sad to see it end. Am currently going through S4 again.

Wondering who will take a bow in the last couple episodes? Harry Tang? Jill Roberts? Ana Wu?
Old 01-06-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This episode made me feel like they really do need the intersect if they're going to successfully go it alone. Without that and without the access they had to government resources, they are "the loser team" like Casey said.
Old 01-06-12, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Loved this episode.

I laughed at Sarah talking to Casey about all the skimpy outfits she's had to wear on their missions--that conversation was a bit "meta".

And Jeff figuring out the spy activity that's been right under their noses all these years was hilarious. That last scene where he busts through the wall was great. Oh, and Lester in drag!
Old 01-07-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't care for it; really don't care for Jeff/Lester finding the secret base, and the plot was kind of boring and just a method to do something with Casey/Verbanski. I liked Sarah pointing out her skimpy outfits though, especially since it was right after a slo-mo of her in a bikini.

I guess I was just hoping the last few episodes would lead up to something big and interesting, but instead it feels like its slowing down to typical episodes.
Old 01-07-12, 05:53 PM

I liked this one. Sad that it's ending. Hope Jeff is a spy w/the Intersect at the end. That would be great.
Old 01-07-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After the whole Jeffster thing wore out its welcome, Jeff, and more specifically Lester, have been huge pains in the ass.

It was really cool when it was just Chuck, Sarah, and Casey. Bringing in Morgan was a HUGE stretch. Bringing in Awesome, then Ellie was even worse. But if Jeff and Lester find out, it just makes the whole premise even more kiddified, which I guess is something from which they've never really shied away. But, it felt much more realistic in seasons 1 & 2. When they started fighting for their lives (series-wise), things kind of lost a lot of "reality".

I thought the show was slow the first 30 minutes, but picked up (until Jeff and Lester found the crew).
Old 01-07-12, 10:27 PM

For some reason my (Comcast) DVR didn't pick this up. Any place I can see it online? It's no longer carried onDemand.
Old 01-08-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
For some reason my (Comcast)It's no longer carried onDemand.
Nor is it on Hulu or NBC.com. I find it strange that this season is not online anywhere.
Old 01-08-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Nor is it on Hulu or NBC.com. I find it strange that this season is not online anywhere.
Warner Brothers is very stingy with their shows for online viewing. The Mentalist on CBS was available for online viewing for a brief period of time in season 1, then was pulled. WB only recently reached deals with ABC to get The Middle and Suburgatory posted at Hulu and ABC.com. I think since this is the last season, they want people to watch it on TV, whether DVR'd or Live.
Old 01-08-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I certainly laughed at a log of parts, but I also found myself annoyed.

On the one hand, there was a lot of good suspense, build-up and mystery with the large Decker plot. Then they just killed it all with the entire Shaw plot. Then two weeks in a row there has been no looming season plot arc. While it's nice to have some character time, it seems like they're taking a big pause to do so. I don't see why they can't have made these same stories, but paralleled them to the larger plot. That's what made season 2 so good.

Second, we know Chuck and Sarah are smart and capable. So why turn Chuck into an idiot when it comes to Sarah's 'condition'; and why turn Sarah into an "oops - I hit him with the car" schtick. Those two roles are completed 180 degrees from how those characters are portrayed. Very annoying and it takes you out of the plot.

On a positive note, really enjoyed Morgan and Awesome's plot to pull one over on Jeff and Lester. Not really liking Jeff and Lester finding out, but I can go with it.

I didn't get the Downtown Abbey joke.
Old 01-09-12, 11:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Loved this episode.

I laughed at Sarah talking to Casey about all the skimpy outfits she's had to wear on their missions--that conversation was a bit "meta".

And Jeff figuring out the spy activity that's been right under their noses all these years was hilarious. That last scene where he busts through the wall was great. Oh, and Lester in drag!

+1!!

Sarah's speech about the skimpy outfits was great.

Anyone notice just how in shape Zachary Levi is in in these past few episodes?
Old 01-09-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I didn't get the Downtown Abbey joke.
I'd have to rewatch the episode, but I think the gist was that Downton Abbey (which I know about but haven't watched) is a British costume drama and not something that Casey would ever watch willingly.
Old 01-09-12, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'd have to rewatch the episode, but I think the gist was that Downton Abbey (which I know about but haven't watched) is a British costume drama and not something that Casey would ever watch willingly.
And that Casey was getting excited over a cutlery placement mishap
Old 01-09-12, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought it was a good episode.

As mentioned already, I loved Sarah's rant about being forced to wear all the skimpy outfits over the years.

at Casey's reaction to the swim suit.

I'm really liking Carrie-Ann Moss' little stint on this show. She and Baldwin have good chemistry.

The only thing that bugged me was the Jeffster hijinks. Thinking that Awesome is a spy and then finding out about the secret base was annoying.
Old 01-09-12, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
The only thing that bugged me was the Jeffster hijinks. Thinking that Awesome is a spy and then finding out about the secret base was annoying.
I liked the "its not always easy to fool a mental patient" line
Old 01-10-12, 09:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I thought it was a good episode.

As mentioned already, I loved Sarah's rant about being forced to wear all the skimpy outfits over the years.

at Casey's reaction to the swim suit.

I'm really liking Carrie-Ann Moss' little stint on this show. She and Baldwin have good chemistry.

Finally found some time and got caught up on this show over the weekend. Great season so far. Really enjoying it.

I hope Carrie-Ann Moss will be back in the remaining episodes. She's great with Casey.