Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Problems with Christmas Story BD disc

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone else having a problems with A Christmas Story blu-ray disc, or know of a reported problem?

Just tried to watch our copy with visiting family tonight and it became unwatchable. I'm not certain, but I think our copy is from the first BD release. We've watched it nearly every year since we got it, and on the same player (a Panasonic DMP-BD35) we've always had.

At first it wouldn't load, then after a few attempts a message popped up saying there was a copyright problem, then it started to play. Over time the picture began to exhibit jpeg type compression artifacts here and there, and the sound would break up. At first it was just a few annoying but watchable glitches. However, by the time it got to Ralphie's daydream of the teacher grading his theme paper, it was so bad we had to stop.
Old 12-23-11, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Problems with Christmas Story BD disc

I've got the original release and have watched it every year without issue since it came out.

I'll be watching it on Christmas - I'll report back any issues.
Old 12-25-11, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched my original release copy tonight with no issues. Been watching it every Christmas since it was released.
Old 12-25-11, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Have you tried the bad disc on more than one player? If it does the same thing on multiple players but played fine when new, the disc is probably rotting. Never heard of this happening with Blu-Rays, but happened a ton with HD-DVDs. The HD-DVD of Christmas Story I got froze up during the department store scene, I got another copy that plays fine.
Old 12-25-11, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Have you tried the bad disc on more than one player? If it does the same thing on multiple players but played fine when new, the disc is probably rotting. Never heard of this happening with Blu-Rays, but happened a ton with HD-DVDs. The HD-DVD of Christmas Story I got froze up during the department store scene, I got another copy that plays fine.
The BD player we have is the first one we got, and the only player the disc has been played in. The disc has played fine before, although it hasn't been played for at least a year. We haven't has any issues with other BD discs, except those that have noted as having some problem (Crank 2). DVDs work fine.

Except some BDs we have borrowed from the library. They usually exhibit the same behavior... if they play at all. However, those discs are (usually) scratched, scuffed or ??? very noticeably. Our Christmas Story disc looks pristine.

I do have a newer Sony BD player (BDP-S470), but it is still in a box (along with a lots of other things) since our move. I should dig it out, I suppose, just to check it but other things are a bit more pressing right now.
Old 12-25-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Roybq
Watched my original release copy tonight with no issues. Been watching it every Christmas since it was released.
Same here. Just watched mine (on a Sony BD player) this morning with no problems.
Old 12-25-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
The BD player we have is the first one we got, and the only player the disc has been played in. The disc has played fine before, although it hasn't been played for at least a year. We haven't has any issues with other BD discs, except those that have noted as having some problem (Crank 2). DVDs work fine.

Except some BDs we have borrowed from the library. They usually exhibit the same behavior... if they play at all. However, those discs are (usually) scratched, scuffed or ??? very noticeably. Our Christmas Story disc looks pristine.

I do have a newer Sony BD player (BDP-S470), but it is still in a box (along with a lots of other things) since our move. I should dig it out, I suppose, just to check it but other things are a bit more pressing right now.
Firmware updated?
Old 12-25-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Firmware updated?
Last spring. Would that be an issue with a disc that had previously played without a problem?

The CS disc was last played about a year (or maybe two years) ago. A firmware update last spring was the only update done to the player in the four or five years we have had it. We were having a sound problem with the original CLash of the Titans and the update fixed it.
Old 12-31-11, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure there are no marks, scratches, or fingerprints on the disc? Try taking a soft lint-free cloth (I use one of those microfiber cloths) and try to buff the disc so the playing surface looks clear and free of any marks.
I've used this method tons of times. Even bought rental discs with tons of scratches and dust and crap on them and have always managed to buff them clean with this method. That anti-scratch coating on these discs is pretty good.
Old 12-31-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sure it's as clean as can be. I always handle my discs with extreme care as I'm rather anal about them. I check and clean off any fingerprints/smudges before playing them.

As I was rechecking this thread, I had a thought that this was all very familiar. I think I might have read about an issue with the early CS discs a few years ago on another forum.

Last edited by Jon2; 01-01-12 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a follow up post about my CS disc problem.

I tried the disc in my Sony BR player and there is definitely a problem with the disc... but not quite the same problem. Didn't get the pixellated jpg compression type artifacts and audio breakup that the Pani had. Instead the image would freeze and skip ahead, like bad jump cuts. No issue with the audio however.

I didn't try to watch as much of the movie as I did when we tried to watch it on the Pani. It was obvious right away the disc had a problem and I concluded it wasn't a player issue.

The CS BD is probably our oldest BD. It's been awhile, but it was one of the first BDs I bought after we got the Pani.

I have a suspicion what may have caused the CS disc problem, but I need to check a few of my other BDs (that are as old and have been stored in the same environment) to see if they have an issue also.

I'm afraid if any of my other older BDs have issues then I'll have a real good idea as to what the cause is... and that will open up a real can of worms for me on a personal level.

I'll be back...
Old 01-07-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a followup to my last post.

So far, I haven't found another older BD with a problem. However, to be honest, I haven't checked them all.

FWIW, my suspicion was that heat may have been the cause of the CS disc problem. I won't (at this time) go into details as to why I thought that. Since I haven't (yet) found another BD with a problem my thought is that it was just a fluke disc that went bad over time. Although, now that I think about it, I should check out my DVDs also.