Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The X Factor -- Season Finale -- Final 3 Perform -- 12/21, 12/22/11

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the 1st season of The X Factor?
Chris Rene
0%
Melanie Amaro
75.00%
Josh Krajcik
25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-12-21

Final 3:

Chris Rene

Melanie Amaro

Josh Krajcik

Profiles of the Top 3:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...l-3/52132182/1

90 Minute Performance Show tonight

2 Hour Season Finale/Results tomorrow
Old 12-21-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The X Factor -- Season Finale -- Final 3 Perform -- 12/21, 12/22/11

Since they all perform and then the winner is announced, there's really no impact to the fact that Chris would be next to go. I've seen speculation Melanie will win because women currently rule the pop charts. If it were based on who I want to win or think should win, I'd be in a deadlock. I simply can't pick between Melanie and Josh. If I had 100 votes, I'd give them each 50. If Chris were included, I'd do 40/40/20. So I'll just say good luck to them all, and I hope they give us one more week of good performances tonight.
Old 12-21-11, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Poor choice of songs for Josh tonight.
Melanie killed it and I think she absolutely out sang R Kelly.
But of the 3 only Chris touched my heart. Young Homey gets me every time.
Old 12-21-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Melanie rocked it tonight.
Old 12-22-11, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Melanie was awesome. Pitch perfect on both songs. Agree that she totally outsang R. Kelly. Her performance on "Listen" was kick ass.

It's funny how she goes in and out with her "Caribbean" accent. Frankly, I don't buy that the accent is her real speaking voice.

As for Josh, I didn't like the 1st song with Alanis Morrisette. She totally overshadowed him.

The second song worked, but his crazy eyes were distracting.

Chris Rene is never going to be regarded as a good singer. His raps were actually better than his attempts at singing. The only parts of the duet with Avril Lavigne that worked was his raps that supported her vocals.

And obviously we all know that his "Young Homey" song is all about him and his struggles and that's why the audience and the judges liked it.

I called and voted for Melanie, but it's really hard to tell who will win. Each person has their own little schtick.

Simon loves Melanie and knows that he can market her as a pop star like Leona Lewis from the UK X-Factor.

Chris Rene has his sob story, which will appeal to many

Josh Krajcik overcame alot of obstacles and has a very "Joe Cocker" type vibe that will appeal to alot.

Regardless of who wins, I think each one of them will get a recording contract. Melanie will have the full backing and support of Simon's label that's for sure even if she doesn't win.

If Chris Rene doesn't win, I wouldn't be surprised to see LA Reid sign him to Epic records, since he runs that label.
Old 12-22-11, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
Melanie was awesome. Pitch perfect on both songs. Agree that she totally outsang R. Kelly. Her performance on "Listen" was kick ass.

It's funny how she goes in and out with her "Caribbean" accent. Frankly, I don't buy that the accent is her real speaking voice.

As for Josh, I didn't like the 1st song with Alanis Morrisette. She totally overshadowed him.

The second song worked, but his crazy eyes were distracting.

Chris Rene is never going to be regarded as a good singer. His raps were actually better than his attempts at singing. The only parts of the duet with Avril Lavigne that worked was his raps that supported her vocals.

And obviously we all know that his "Young Homey" song is all about him and his struggles and that's why the audience and the judges liked it.

I called and voted for Melanie, but it's really hard to tell who will win. Each person has their own little schtick.

Simon loves Melanie and knows that he can market her as a pop star like Leona Lewis from the UK X-Factor.

Chris Rene has his sob story, which will appeal to many

Josh Krajcik overcame alot of obstacles and has a very "Joe Cocker" type vibe that will appeal to alot.

Regardless of who wins, I think each one of them will get a recording contract. Melanie will have the full backing and support of Simon's label that's for sure even if she doesn't win.

If Chris Rene doesn't win, I wouldn't be surprised to see LA Reid sign him to Epic records, since he runs that label.
You basically summed up my feelings.
Old 12-22-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't wait for Dexter Heygood's performance tonight. He said he was supposed to sing for the finale, right? Right???
Not holding my breath.
Old 12-22-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought Josh and Melanie were fantastic. I still don't get what the judges see in Chris even though he's from my area.
Old 12-22-11, 02:22 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of all the Alanis songs, "Uninvited" was a strange one to pick for Josh. "Thank U", "Hands Clean", or "Hand in my Pocket" would have all better suited his voice and style. Actually "All I Really Want" would have been awesome, but I'm not sure that one was a big enough hit for what they were going for.

Too bad Melanie didn't get to duet "Trapped in the Closet" with R Kelly.
Old 12-23-11, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Congrats to Melanie Amaro.

I will absolutely buy her album when it's released. I'm sure Simon is going to hook her up with some great producers and song writers.

I'm predicting that 1 year from now she will also drop about 15-20 pounds.

Out of the 2 hours, I only watched Leona Lewis' performance (she was solid although a little pitchy in spots) and the final results. Not surprised that Chris Rene wasn't a factor.

Hopefully Simon's ego gets in check and knows that X Factor isn't going to be a monstrous hit in the United States. It averaged around 10M viewers and the mid 3's in the demos. The show needs some work for next season....1st and foremost, getting a replacement for Nicole Scherzinger. Although some of you have issues with him, I'm fine with Steve Jones returning.
Old 12-23-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jones is terrible I have no issue with Nicole, the backup production numbers are horrendous, and they need to remember less is more.. the best bits of the final songs by josh and melanie were when they were singing with no distractions... simon has a lot of work to do to get this show the buzz it needs to be a monster hit.. right now, it's just a show..

i liked the finale though, and the fact that they had two excellent candidates for the finale bodes well for the show.. but step back and realize was melanie getting cut by simon a gimmic? he really did not take the best, none of them seem to.. other than the groups and that is such a weak category it should be dropped altogether and lets go over 30 men and over 30 women that would be a more fair assessment.. groups will never win, imho... hard to relate...

melanie added that freshman 15 for sure.. but tough not to root for her or josh or chris..

good finale show as well with the christmas tunes, i enjoyed it...
Old 12-23-11, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That girl dancing in the snow globe behind Josh was absurd.
Old 12-23-11, 09:12 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
other than the groups and that is such a weak category it should be dropped altogether and lets go over 30 men and over 30 women that would be a more fair assessment.. groups will never win, imho... hard to relate...
In the UK 'boy bands' (and girl groups) are still popular and still do well on the charts and they *still* have struggled over the years on the UK show up until season 7 or whenever they finally had a group winner. Here in the states it's an even tougher sell. Aside from the Jonas Brothers a few years back and all the other Disney-fueled acts, there hasn't really been a place in the market for them since the early 2000s when N Sync and Destiny's Child ruled the charts. Even The Pussycat Dolls was really just Nicole and 4 backup dancers.

It also didn't help that they seemed to have much lower standards for the groups they let in. Some of the ones they raved about sounded downright lackluster, vocally. I actually liked the idea behind the 'Frankengroups', but frankly if you have to fill 2 of your final 3 group spots with them that says alot about the quality of groups that auditioned.
Old 12-23-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVDChris
I thought Josh and Melanie were fantastic. I still don't get what the judges see in Chris even though he's from my area.
I agree with you on Chris. I didn't find him to be as good as Josh or Melanie. I agree with another poster who mentioned that L.A. Reid will sign him to his label. That will happen, but I don't see Chris doing well in the business.
Old 12-23-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

This show is in major need of a re-tooling.
Old 12-23-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they can find someone better than Steve Jones, I won't miss him at all. I wouldn't want to get rid of him and end up with someone worse (yes, it's possible). People forget, but AI had another host (in addition to Ryan Seacrest) the first season. They saw it didn't work, and went with Ryan.

Nicole didn't bother me.

I can easily see Chris doing well. He's a singer and musician, but is a writer on top of that. Success in the biz often isn't about being the best singer; it's about connecting with the audience, preferably by being at least a decent singer.

In post-show interviews, I've seen LA and Simon make comments about the fact that all the top contestants will get signed, but the focus will be on Melanie. I make no concrete predictions about buying anyone's CD because I've learned my lesson after all these years of watching AI that liking a singer and liking a CD the singer comes out with are two very different things. I liked Adam Lambert, but I'm not buying any of his CD's. Same with Melinda Doolittle. I'm not a country listener, but Carrie Underwood is probably the gold standard to me of reality contestants coming out with purchase quality CD's. Javier Colon won The Voice, but when he was on a label and came out with a CD, it didn't do anything. You need good songs combined with good performances. Just getting hooked up with name producers won't do it. If it were that easy, Janet Jackson's last CD would have done better.
Old 12-23-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk God

^^^ I consider myself a pretty good judge of these contestants and the music they put out that will reasonate with me.

As far as American Idol winners goes that I bought their albums, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are mega stars now and I gladly and bought all their albums. All their albums have tremendous replay value and I think appeal to large audiences. I like Jordin Sparks and she put out a couple of really catchy Pop albums. All of them worked with good song writers and producers.

The only non-Idol winner that I like and have continued to buy their albums is Daughtry.

I can see Melanie putting out a Pop album with a little R&B in it and I think it will do well.
Old 12-28-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Josh Krajcik, Chris Rene, Astro will get Sony Music deals, confirms Simon Cowell

I can't really find an original source press release, but it looks like a few artists from Season 1 of The X Factor are getting recording deals. Of course it isn't over until it's over, but various sites are reporting this "news". Unfortunately, they all seem to be quoting each other. There's also speculation that Chris Rene's Young Homie will come out as a single in January 2012. It'll be interesting to see if they strip all the soul from it as often happens with AI contestants when producers get ahold of them.

Astro is already set to appear as a guest artist on Cher Lloyd's single Want U Back. Cher came in 4th place on last seasons UK version of The X Factor. I think it's just the single (U.S. only?) version of the song, as the CD (Sticks and Stones) is already out.
Old 02-20-12, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For folks who were not fans of Astro, but do like good singing...

James Anderson - I Have Nothing (Whitney Houston cover)

There are a few cuts in the video that lead me to believe it's a amalgamation of multiple cuts, but still...

Oh, and just for good measure... this doesn't have the same production values (looks like a camcorder @ a talent show), but...

James Anderson - Who's Loving You (Michael Jackson cover)

Last edited by MikahC; 02-20-12 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added video
Old 02-22-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rachel Crowe gets TV Deal & Recording contract

Crow, 14, has landed deals to star in her own Nickelodeon series and record an album with Columbia Records, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Old 02-26-12, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The retail single version of Chris Rene - Young Homie @ YouTube. The single drops 2/28/2012.

As usual, I feel some of the heart of the song was lost on the way to polishing it. The beat isn't the same, the music isn't the same, the tempo isn't the same, and the flow isn't the same. There are also overdubbed vocals. Can the music industry please learn from Adele? Every song really doesn't have to be overdone.

Chris Rene - Young Homie (Audition)

But either way, he needs to drop the falsetto.
Old 03-20-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The video for Chris Rene's Young Homie is out.