Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just bought my first 3d Panasonic TV. Now need Glasses.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-19-11, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sales person at Best Buy told me not to buy glasses there. Said they are much cheaper online. Claimed to get like 4 pairs for $30. Where do I find decent 3d glasses for a good price. I know what he said of for a price seems unrealistic. I bought Panasonic - 42" Class / Plasma / 1080p / 600Hz / 3D / HDTV TC-P42ST30

Thanks in advance. This 3d thing is new to me.
Old 12-19-11, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Just bought my first 3d Panasonic TV. Now need Glasses.

I purchased the same model TV, but at 50 inches from Best Buy.

I opted for the Sony PS3 3D glasses, since they are 'universal' (meaning compatible with most active shutter-based 3D TVs like Panasonic) and cheaper than Panasonic's own glasses. They were $70 each but that's Canadian pricing. Not sure of the difference if you're referring to US prices. The Panasonic's were much more than that if I remember right.

I haven't gotten the TV yet (being delivered this week) but I have two pairs of the glasses and they look interesting and feel comfortable. Just looking forward to trying them out!
Old 12-19-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question. I have a Samsung 3D TV and still haven't bought glasses and don't know that I ever will. For my TV, you might be able to find them for $50 a pair or something. That's still way more than I'm willing to pay given the dearth of content.

And they wonder why adoption of home 3D isn't taking off.
Old 12-19-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a new Panasonic P50GT30 over the weekend.

I searched a long time for glasses, most sites are sold out or have crazy prices. It looks to me like they might be replacing the current model glasses.

I finally found some on Panasonic's own website for $79.95 each

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TY-EW3D3MU

Looking forward to trying them out with the Avatar Blu Ray I am getting for buying a Panasonic 3d Blu Ray player
Old 12-20-11, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I bought a new Panasonic P50GT30 over the weekend.

I searched a long time for glasses, most sites are sold out or have crazy prices. It looks to me like they might be replacing the current model glasses.

I finally found some on Panasonic's own website for $79.95 each

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TY-EW3D3MU

Looking forward to trying them out with the Avatar Blu Ray I am getting for buying a Panasonic 3d Blu Ray player
I ordered the same glasses last night from Panasonic. Think I paid 59.99 each on their site with some discount. I think the sales guy at Best Buy didn't want me to see the price of glasses afraid that I was going to change my mind since I kept doing calculations of everything and debating if it was worth it.
Old 12-20-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cyberock
I ordered the same glasses last night from Panasonic. Think I paid 59.99 each on their site with some discount. I think the sales guy at Best Buy didn't want me to see the price of glasses afraid that I was going to change my mind since I kept doing calculations of everything and debating if it was worth it.
Nice one on the discount, I did not see that.

Mine shipped already, hope to have them soon
Old 12-20-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So there are people willing to pay ludicrous prices for glasses. I see the new Samsung models have glasses that are $29.99. Older model owners are screwed. Oh well, I didn't buy it for 3D, that was a side benefit I suppose I'll never use.
Old 12-20-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm still shopping for them. If I could get the Panasonic brand for $60 each I would jump on it. I'm not paying $100 a pair like most places are selling them for.

Of course then I still need to get a 3d player, and that means one with Dual HDMI since my receiver can't accept a 3d signal. Damn this gets expensive.
Old 12-20-11, 02:06 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I think monoprice makes their own line of 3D glasses for cheap
Old 12-20-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I do not believe they are compatible with the Panasonic line, correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10909
Old 12-20-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why I went passive and I just completed my own side by side comparison. I'll take passive any day of the week thank you.

Sainsonic has it for the panasonic for $63 sold on Amazon with free shipping.
Old 12-20-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
They do. I looked into them as I'm probably going to get the converter box to make my projector 3D. They have 2 different types; I believe one was specific for Samsung and the other for Panasonic. I can't remember the prices, though. I have an Optoma projector, so I wasn't sure if they would even work with it.

Edit to add: Brian Shannon beat me to it, and I was mistaken anyway. They have Samsung and LG glasses.
Old 12-20-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Sainsonic has it for the panasonic for $63 sold on Amazon with free shipping.
I looked at those but the reviews were not encouraging.
Old 12-23-11, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cyberock
Got my pair of glasses yesterday, not bad for regular shipping, 5 days during Christmas.
Old 12-23-11, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at those but the reviews were not encouraging.
Sorry I didn't check out the reviews.
Old 12-28-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So far the Panasonic glasses have been great. I do not have any real 3d content as yet but the 2d-3d conversion looks decent enough to keep me interested.
Old 12-28-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So far the Panasonic glasses have been great. I do not have any real 3d content as yet but the 2d-3d conversion looks decent enough to keep me interested.
Same here...except I have the PS3 branded glasses. Simple USB recharge, wide viewing angle. I did an A/B comparison with the 3D Avatar and the 2D version converted and while the conversion doesn't hold a candle to the actual 3D, it looked impressive. It really depends on what you're upconverting, as there has to be something that is A) bold enough in color and B) exhibiting a strong sense of texture.

An airplane against a bright sky will pop out nicely if the plane is dark. I sampled a couple of Star Wars movies and there was a sequence in "The Empire Strikes Back" that showed the limitations of the upconversion. You see rebel fighters wearing those orange flight suits and their collars and sleeves look 3D while their faces and chestplates remain flat. The bolder color gave the TV something to latch onto. Lights on panels really pop out especially if they're on white surfaces. A great example of this is the opening scenes of "Star Wars" where just before the stormtrooopers burn their way through the hatch door on that ship, there's a shot of the door itself with red lights on either side. Those lights look like they're floating there against the background.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 12-29-11 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-29-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got the converter I needed to make my Optoma projector 3D. It works great, but now I'm also in the position where I need to buy a couple more pairs of glasses. I'd love to find some inexpensive ones that would be compatible with a future TV, but I'm just not sure what to get. I need some that are active shutter and DLP-Link. I'm not a fan of how nothing seems to be compatible with anything else. Frustrating.
Old 12-29-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I got the converter I needed to make my Optoma projector 3D. It works great, but now I'm also in the position where I need to buy a couple more pairs of glasses. I'd love to find some inexpensive ones that would be compatible with a future TV, but I'm just not sure what to get. I need some that are active shutter and DLP-Link. I'm not a fan of how nothing seems to be compatible with anything else. Frustrating.
Interesting...what Optoma do you have? I'm still sporting an HD70 and love it. And have a PS3 so 3D has "entered my mind".

But it is active 3D? So crazy prices? I'll have a 6-8 people in my theater room on movie nights and my kids have had movie watching parties with double that. I just can't imagine getting, keeping up with, charging and most importantly spending that kind of money...
Old 12-30-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Interesting...what Optoma do you have? I'm still sporting an HD70 and love it. And have a PS3 so 3D has "entered my mind".

But it is active 3D? So crazy prices? I'll have a 6-8 people in my theater room on movie nights and my kids have had movie watching parties with double that. I just can't imagine getting, keeping up with, charging and most importantly spending that kind of money...
I have the Optoma HD66. I've only watched about 4 movies in 3D, but I think it has done a great job. Unfortunately, yes, it is active 3D, and yes, it is really expensive. Apparently, there is a way to make it passive 3D, but it requires a second projector and I believe a second converter box as well. The converter box only comes with one pair of glasses. It would probably cost you more to go passive than to buy all those pairs of glasses. From what I have seen, it would be a minimum of about $60 per pair, but I'm still looking for any better option. I wish there were more specials on these things.
Old 01-11-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

So has anyone tried out the generic brands? All I need right is the glasses, but I can't believe these prices, and the way the prices fluctuate it seems like Panasonic isn't making enough of their own.

I looked at these with promising reviews, but they aren't much cheaper than the Panny glasses, and I would like a little more than the reviews on Amazon to go on.

http://www.amazon.com/True-Depth-3D-Glasses-Panasonic/dp/B005S2H81E/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1326297600&sr=8-16
Old 01-11-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
And they wonder why adoption of home 3D isn't taking off.
Who's wondering that?
Old 01-11-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Who's wondering that?
They are, of course!
Old 01-11-12, 10:43 PM
Cool New Member

I bought a Panasonic 55" GT30 and although I didn't do any side by side comparisons with LCD TVs I'm really pleased I bought it. DVDs look good on it but I was very surprised at how good blu ray looks.

However, for 3D I'm going to need a 3D blu ray player. And the glasses. And some 3D content I'd actually want to watch! At what point is it worth the expense of the hardware...surely not for 1, 2 or 3 discs...
Old 01-13-12, 01:47 AM

if you get the current panasonic blu ray player 110, 210,310. you can get a free copy of avatar in 3d. the deal ends in late february. that is still the best 3d movie.
I got the 3rd generation panasonic 3d glasses and they work great.
my tv is the gt25 from 2010.
Jacob

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.