Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception: How many versions are out there?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Including store exclusives, etc., how many different Blu-Ray releases of Inception have been released? I'm aware of the 2-disc BR and 3-disc Combo pack, as well as the Steelbook edition. Recently, I ordered the 2-disc version from Amazon on Black Friday, and it's actually the 3-disc version but not marked as such. Even the back cover makes no mention of the DVD (or probably-expired digital copy) included. Anyone else get this?

Also, are there any exclusive bonus features on different versions?
Old 11-30-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Inception: How many versions are out there?

All editions contain the same first disc; that being the film and the "Extraction Mode" feature.

Two-disc Blu-ray edition:
- Film and the "Extraction Mode" feature.
- Bonus material (5.1 Inception Soundtrack, Dreams: Cinema of the Subconscious, Inception: The Cobol Job, Project Somnacin: Confidential Files, Conceptual Art Gallery, Promotional Art Archive, Trailers and TV Spots).

Three-disc Blu-ray edition:
- Bonus material (5.1 Inception Soundtrack, Dreams: Cinema of the Subconscious, Inception: The Cobol Job, Project Somnacin: Confidential Files, Conceptual Art Gallery, Promotional Art Archive, Trailers and TV Spots).
- DVD of the film (same disc that's available for retail).
- Download for Digital Copy for iTunes or Windows Media Platforms.

Best Buy exclusive edition:
- Same contents as three-disc Blu-ray edition.
- Different lenticular cover art.
- Shooting Script included.

FYE exclusive edition:
- Steelbook with different cover art.

WBShop Exclusive Briefcase Gift Set:
- Limited edition aluminum briefcase (think a la Blade Runner).
- Cobb's spinning top.
Old 11-30-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks! That's what I figured. It looks like this new version keeps the DVD and (expired) digital copy and doesn't advertise it because of the latter. Odd that Warner Bros. didn't just extend the life of the download instead of confusing everyone.
Old 11-30-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Anyone try and redeem the expired code? I've had some work in the past, so I'm curious if I need to open mine ASAP and redeem it. It was going to be a Christmas gift, but may have to open it for the DC.
Old 11-30-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Anyone try and redeem the expired code? I've had some work in the past, so I'm curious if I need to open mine ASAP and redeem it. It was going to be a Christmas gift, but may have to open it for the DC.
Odds are it won't work.

Before Warner switched to Ultraviolet, their BD+DVD+DC editions were always meant to be limited editions. It was their way of honoring customers who bought releases on release date rather than waiting for a price drop. The first pressing of a film on Blu-ray would be that of the combo pack. Everything after that would the Blu-ray only. The problem is both editions had the same UPC, so if you ordered online, it was luck of the draw on what you were getting. The combo packs always came with a slipcover whereas the single-disc releases did not. However, sometimes, you may receive the combo pack just with no slipcover.

For example, the first pressing of The Final Destination on Blu-ray included both 2D and analygraph 3D versions on the same Blu-ray disc alongside the DVD and digital copy. Future pressings dropped the 3D version, DVD, digital copy and the fuckin' sweet lenticular slipcover.

Now? Warner has been making single-disc releases available alongside with the combo pack. Of course, if you want the combo pack, you'll usually have to shell out a few more dollars.
Old 11-30-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I tried entering in the code a few weeks ago and it didn't work. I got a new computer so I tried doing so with all of the discs that had digital copies. The "expired" Disney ones all worked, mainly because their expiration dates were extended (such as Nightmare Before Christmas).
Old 11-30-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Thanks guys. No worries. I got in on the $5 Amazon deal, so no big loss.
Old 11-30-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I also suspect that Warner made them expire because they didn't want to support eternal digital copies. I bet they get a lot of pings about them.
Old 12-01-11, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

I've heard that you can still redeem the Inception digital copy by doing the following:

1. open iTunes
2. Go to the iTunes Store
3. Click the "Redeem" link (upper-right corner)
4. Enter the digital copy code on that page

Anyone want to try it?
Old 12-01-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
All editions contain the same first disc; that being the film and the "Extraction Mode" feature.

Two-disc Blu-ray edition:

Three-disc Blu-ray edition:
- DVD of the film (same disc that's available for retail).
- Download for Digital Copy for iTunes or Windows Media Platforms.

Best Buy exclusive edition:
- Different lenticular cover art.
- Shooting Script included.

FYE exclusive edition:
- Steelbook with different cover art.

WBShop Exclusive Briefcase Gift Set:
- Limited edition aluminum briefcase (think a la Blade Runner).
- Cobb's spinning top.
I'm confused. You say that there is a 2-disc version and it looks like all of the other versions contain everything from that two disc version. You also say that the other version all contain the same first disc. Shouldn't that be that they all contain the same first two discs (unless that first release really only has a single disc).
Old 12-01-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not only am I confused about "Inception", I'm confused about "Hall Pass" and "The Town". I bought all of the this past week. None of them arrived with slip-covers and none of them mention DVD copies on their artwork. They all share the same UPC with their respective multi-disc counterparts.

I don't really want to open them if they don't contain DVD copies. Is this a case where Warner re-used the same UPCs for Blus and Blu/DVD releases and I got the later Blu-only release? Or do all of the releases also contain the DVD and are just missing that mention on the artwork? I'm sure that I will have the same question about "Red Riding Hood" when it arrives.
Old 12-01-11, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
Not only am I confused about "Inception", I'm confused about "Hall Pass" and "The Town". I bought all of the this past week. None of them arrived with slip-covers and none of them mention DVD copies on their artwork. They all share the same UPC with their respective multi-disc counterparts.

I don't really want to open them if they don't contain DVD copies. Is this a case where Warner re-used the same UPCs for Blus and Blu/DVD releases and I got the later Blu-only release? Or do all of the releases also contain the DVD and are just missing that mention on the artwork? I'm sure that I will have the same question about "Red Riding Hood" when it arrives.
Yup, that's standard Warner practice, and most likely those are no longer combos. Check Matthew Chmiel's post above, and see the most recent pages in the Amazon bargains thread for more discussion on this topic.
Old 12-01-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually Hall Pass (and Sucker Punch) should mention on the cover that the Blu has both versions and the DVD is the theatrical version only. But I don't think they have the digital copies if they don't have the slip covers. I just re buy them in the store and return the other one since they have the same UPC.