Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying new show on dvd/blu

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-20-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering Warehouse 13, Haven or Sanctuary. I don't get cable and have no clue if these are any good. There don't seem to be threads on these... so recommendations? Warnings? Give me your opinion.
Old 11-20-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Re: Thinking of buying new show on dvd/blu

No threads? Did you search for them? There is episode threads for every single episode of Warehouse 13 and Haven since they premiered....I should know I started all of them. I like Warehouse 13 and Haven alot. Haven't really gotten into Sanctuary. If spoilers are a problem for you, I wouldn't read them. Warehouse 13 is part serial and part procedural. It's gotten more serialized this past season. Haven started out slow, but has developed a really compelling serialized arc. Season 2 just ended a few months ago on SyFy and isn't on DVD yet.

Do you have Netflix? Season 1 and 2 of Warehouse 13 is on there for streaming.

Technically this question should go in the DVD Review Recomendation forum, but that forum is pretty dead.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-20-11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

out of the three i really got into warehouse 13 and been catching on now that its on netflix.
Old 11-20-11, 08:56 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Warehouse 13 is easily the most accessible... although I think I care for Sanctuary a tad bit more. I stopped Haven after 4 episodes as I found it boring as hell.
Old 11-20-11, 08:57 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you ever watch Eureka? Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary have a similar feel (Warehouse 13 is even set in the same continuity). Haven is a little more serious/dramatic in tone. All three are takes on the X-Files formula of "mysterious happening of the week is put to rest by our heroes against the backdrop of a larger mythology that develops slowly over the life of the show."

Personally, I like Warehouse 13, tried Sanctuary but couldn't get into it (even though I really liked Amanda Tapping on Stargate), and have never tried Haven.
Old 11-20-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Warehouse 13, Eureka and the new SyFy show Alphas are all in the same Universe and have had some crossover episodes.

There are 3 Warehouse 13/Eureka crossover episodes. If you choose to watch Warehouse 13, the Eureka crossover episode is on the season 2 DVD. On the Eureka season 4.0 DVD, you will find another Warehouse 13 crossover episode.

Also, there was another Eureka crossover episode on Warehouse 13 from this past season (Season 3). I know this is alot to take in for a show you've never seen.

There is a semi-Warehouse 13 crossover with Alphas (a minor character appeared on there this past season)

Last edited by DJariya; 11-20-11 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Technically this question should go in the DVD Review Recomendation forum, but that forum is pretty dead.
Personally that's the last place I'd go to find out if a television show is worth getting, since this forum is for discussing any and all TV shows. Many threads here about revisiting shows on DVD and that format doesn't seem to matter, the show itself does.

I've not heard of these three shows either, and this is the place I'd turn to for finding out more.

To each their own.
Old 11-20-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Personally that's the last place I'd go to find out if a television show is worth getting, since this forum is for discussing any and all TV shows. Many threads here about revisiting shows on DVD and that format doesn't seem to matter, the show itself does.

I've not heard of these three shows either, and this is the place I'd turn to for finding out more.

To each their own.
Really? You haven't heard of these shows? They are all produced in Canada. Warehouse 13 is filmed in Toronto, Sanctuary is shot in Vancouver and Haven is shot in Nova Scotia. I think Haven airs on Showcase and they pay half the production costs for it.
Old 11-21-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I grabbed the first two seasons of Santuary because the price dropped and they're Blu. I'm really just as interested in Warehouse 13... will that ever be Blu or should I just do the DVDs?

I don't have netflix although I could stream from Amazon... but I think at $2-3 an episode for streaming I may as well buy them.
Old 11-21-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Warehouse 13 is easily the most accessible... although I think I care for Sanctuary a tad bit more. I stopped Haven after 4 episodes as I found it boring as hell.
I think you may have given up too soon. Haven was definitely a "slow burn" at first, at least in getting into the real story (as opposed to the "trouble of the week" stories). But now it has some really interesting arcs going on, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. I just hope it survives.
Old 11-21-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Easy
Well, I grabbed the first two seasons of Santuary because the price dropped and they're Blu. I'm really just as interested in Warehouse 13... will that ever be Blu or should I just do the DVDs?

I don't have netflix although I could stream from Amazon... but I think at $2-3 an episode for streaming I may as well buy them.
No, Warehouse 13 is DVD only. Haven is on Blu-Ray for season 1 and you can easily get it for around $25.
Old 11-21-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
No, Warehouse 13 is DVD only. Haven is on Blu-Ray for season 1 and you can easily get it for around $25.
Yeah I know that... but if you search Amazon you can be added to a list of people to be notified when/if Warehouse 13 becomes available in Blu. I'm asking if that is really in the works or just wishful thinking.
Old 11-21-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Easy
Yeah I know that... but if you search Amazon you can be added to a list of people to be notified when/if Warehouse 13 becomes available in Blu. I'm asking if that is really in the works or just wishful thinking.
Trust me. You are never going to see Warehouse 13 on Blu-Ray. There is no plans by Univsersal to re-release them. If you can get the DVDs at a price you like, pull the trigger.
Old 11-21-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the Warehouse 13/Alphas crossover? I saw the whole season for each show, and don't remember a crossover.
Old 11-21-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jeraden
What was the Warehouse 13/Alphas crossover? I saw the whole season for each show, and don't remember a crossover.
Lindsay Wagner (Dr. Vanessa Calder or Artie's friend) appeared on 1 episode of Alphas.
Old 11-21-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I ended up getting all three series I mentioned. Thanks for the input guys, it really helped.
Old 12-03-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen any of these, but do watch Alphas and like it a lot. How would you compare the quality of those shows compared to Alphas?
Old 12-03-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12
I haven't seen any of these, but do watch Alphas and like it a lot. How would you compare the quality of those shows compared to Alphas?
If you like Alphas, you really need to hunt down the show called "The 4400" that ran on USA. It's out on DVD and is from the same people behind Alphas with a very similar premise.
Old 12-03-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

The 4400 had a great 1 season run.
Old 12-05-11, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The 4400 had a great 1 season run.
So apparently you did not like the 2nd through 4th seasons of The 4400?
Old 12-05-11, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

Get Boardwalk Empire blu-ray in Jan 2012
Old 12-05-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
So apparently you did not like the 2nd through 4th seasons of The 4400?
Season 2 was abysmal so I didn't return for 3 & 4. The show had a great premise though.
Old 12-05-11, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Season 2 was abysmal so I didn't return for 3 & 4. The show had a great premise though.
It did just sort of spiral out of control which really was too bad because it had an amazing premise that quickly got lost when the daughter grew up to a full-grown woman in 2 episodes time.
Old 12-05-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
If you like Alphas, you really need to hunt down the show called "The 4400" that ran on USA. It's out on DVD and is from the same people behind Alphas with a very similar premise.
I actually watched that show, but at some point I stopped watching. Don't remember why.. Think I missed the last season or two. Think I liked it but didn't love it, and lost track of when it started back up probably. The Dead Zone is another USA show I watched and missed I think the last season. I'd like to go back and finish(Dead Zone I think is on Netflix streaming) but I'd need to at least read up on what was going on because I don't remember.
Old 12-05-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shady12
I actually watched that show, but at some point I stopped watching. Don't remember why.. Think I missed the last season or two. Think I liked it but didn't love it, and lost track of when it started back up probably. The Dead Zone is another USA show I watched and missed I think the last season. I'd like to go back and finish(Dead Zone I think is on Netflix streaming) but I'd need to at least read up on what was going on because I don't remember.
The last couple of seasons of Dead Zone are virtually unwatchable. That was a show that just hit a wall and should have been ended years before it actually ended.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.