Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need a new TV, whats the best?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need a new TV, whats the best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-00, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine has put me in charge of finding him a new TV. I am quite happy with my 40" Mitsu tube so I haven't been in the market for a while and I need your help. Here are the specs I/He is interested in:

1. 50-55 inch screen
2. At least 2 s-video and 1 component input
3. HDTV(ready)? not important though
4. Under $4000

These are the brands I/He is interested in respectively Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Hitachi, Pioneer or Sony.

I am in the process of researching them, but a steer in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks for any help
Old 10-03-00, 05:28 PM

I have researched RPTVs, although I can't afford one, and have found that I am most impressed with the Toshiba's and the Sony's. I do feel it is important for this tv to be HDTV ready since all broadcasts will be in HDTV in 2005. In my opinion it would be a waste of $4000 to be forced into buying another expensive tv in 2005. I also think it would be a good idea to go for a widescreen tv. My personal favorites are the Toshiba TW40X81 (40inch widescreen hd rp for $2000-2500) and the Toshiba TW65X81 (65inch widescreen hd rp for $4500-5000). The 65inch may be a little out of your friends price range, but it is a hell of an investment. It is also a great price for what you are getting.
Old 10-05-00, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget to check out the Pioneer SD-582 58" HDTV. It is a highly regarded HDTV (check audioreview.com and other forums) and outside of the screen, cabinet and a bit better line doubler it is the exact same HDTV as the Elites. If you get a Progressive scan DVD player then the DVD viewing will be identical to the Elites as you don't use the internal line doublers with a progressive scan input. I researched for months and decided to go with the Pioneer SD-582 for the reasons above and the fact that the SD and Elite HDTV's have identical pictures when viewing HD sources! I bought the SD-582 for $3800 locally and have not regretted it one bit!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 10-05-00, 11:51 PM

I too have the Mitsubishi 40" tube T.V. and it's working great! However I'm lusting for one of these HDTV's and have been checking them out.

I'm impressed with the quality of the Sony's and yes, the Mitsubishi's.

Go to www.audioreview.com and check out the report on the 45"-55" models. Both are getting great reviews!

Let me know what you settled on and tell me how it works... so that I can lust some more.

TT

[This message has been edited by TThiel (edited October 05, 2000).]
Old 10-06-00, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out http://www.hometheaterforum.com/ or http://www.avsforum.com/ubbcgi/Ultim...?action=intro.

Old 10-06-00, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank You all for the help