Old 11-11-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Fringe -- "And Those We've Left Behind" -- 11/11/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The FRINGE team must find the pattern between tragic time loop anomalies. As the investigation unfolds, Raymond (guest star Stephen Root), an electrical engineer, and his wife Kate (guest star Romy Rosemont), a professor of theoretical physics, enter the picture in the all-new "And Those We Left Behind" episode of FRINGE airing Friday, Nov. 11 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-406) (TV-14 D, L, V)

Read more: Listings - FRINGE on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1dSVwuIcC

Episode 6 of 22

Awesome new Fringe promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zkJI-JXd-bU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by DJariya; 11-11-11 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-12-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fringe -- "And Those We've Left Behind" -- 11/11/11

Another great episode. Too bad that next week is the fall season finale.
Old 11-12-11, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think this might have been one of my favorite episodes, I was hooked the whole time.
Old 11-12-11, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So Peter's in another universe? That means that there's four universes at least?

If this Peter fucks these Olivias, then I'm going to be really, really pissed.
Old 11-12-11, 07:13 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
I think this might have been one of my favorite episodes, I was hooked the whole time.
The epsiode was great.

This show is great.

Everything about Fringe is great.

Except next week being the Fall Finale... that's not so great!
Old 11-12-11, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
So Peter's in another universe? That means that there's four universes at least?

If this Peter fucks these Olivias, then I'm going to be really, really pissed.
There's an infinite number of universes. Some are far less different than others. The current universe was the same as the main universe until the observer didn't pull Peter out of the lake as a kid. That one change led to other changes taking place, hence why Astrid is an agent. This also means the alternate universe we've seen this season is a slightly different version than the previous one.

What we don't know at this point is whether the previous universes still exist at all. They could have been wiped out by Peter's death as a child. But with time travel now becoming part of the story, Peter's trip home will have to be to the past, perhaps by saving himself in the lake.

Just think about Doc Brown's explanation of alternate timelines in Back To The Future II. Fringe is a bit more complex, but the basics are similar. We just don't know how much of a role the observers play.
Old 11-12-11, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

"I need a computer battery. And a spool of copper wire. And a climbing harness. And some rubber cement. I think it's in my Spider-Man fanny pack."
Old 11-12-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The best part is that he called her Astrid! LOL!

Does anyone remembers the previous season finale? I think Peter traveled forward in time. Or was he in this universe? I think it was 2025 or something in the 20's. I wonder when we will know more about that.

What I love more about this show is that we can't have a lot theories, the writers have full control, is basically, sit, watch and enjoy the show.
Old 11-12-11, 02:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Awesome episode this week -- best of the season thus far
Old 11-12-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3
The best part is that he called her Astrid! LOL!

Does anyone remembers the previous season finale? I think Peter traveled forward in time. Or was he in this universe? I think it was 2025 or something in the 20's. I wonder when we will know more about that.

What I love more about this show is that we can't have a lot theories, the writers have full control, is basically, sit, watch and enjoy the show.
He went to the future of the first universe, where the alternate universe was destroyed and the first universe was on the verge of destruction as well. The whole reason why Peter was wiped out was to prevent that future from ever happening.

It's a moral dilemma for Peter. If he restores the original timeline, that future could still take place. In essence, he doesn't belong here, but his universes are doomed if he gets back to them. Peter's like the opposite of George Bailey from It's A Wonderful Life. He's seeing a world that is better off because he didn't live, but he also saw how bad his own universe gets if he lives by that trip to the future.

I think this is why the show is so compelling, because there are so many ways for the writers to take the show at this point. I can throw out all these theories and ideas, but any of them can be thrown away due to the Observers. It's like Lost before they painted themselves into a corner near the end.

We just gotta hope FOX allows them to finish this story.
Old 11-13-11, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha! So theory about him being in a third universe may be correct (Thanks orange credits!).

Now, the question is this: When Peter went into the machine and leaped to the future, was that the future that resulted from him bridging the two universes? Or was that a future based on the two universes staying separate, because he hadn't gone back yet?

So theoretically, he can return to his(our) universe where he set up the bridge so the 2 universes could work together, thus preventing the bleak future he jumped forward to.

*brain melts*
Old 11-13-11, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
What we don't know at this point is whether the previous universes still exist at all. They could have been wiped out by Peter's death as a child. But with time travel now becoming part of the story, Peter's trip home will have to be to the past, perhaps by saving himself in the lake.

Just think about Doc Brown's explanation of alternate timelines in Back To The Future II. Fringe is a bit more complex, but the basics are similar. We just don't know how much of a role the observers play.
That is really good speculation, I almost feel cheated now. Peter has to somehow time travel and save himself in the lake to exist.

Best episode of the season, can't wait to see how they solve this problem.
Old 11-13-11, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Ha! So theory about him being in a third universe may be correct (Thanks orange credits!).

Now, the question is this: When Peter went into the machine and leaped to the future, was that the future that resulted from him bridging the two universes? Or was that a future based on the two universes staying separate, because he hadn't gone back yet?

So theoretically, he can return to his(our) universe where he set up the bridge so the 2 universes could work together, thus preventing the bleak future he jumped forward to.

*brain melts*
The future that Peter saw was of the original two universes falling apart due to Walternate putting Peter and Fauxlivia's baby into the machine on his side. The baby's DNA was only 50% Peter, so it started destroying the alt. universe. The main Universe started falling apart as well, as it needed the other universe to survive. That's what Peter learned there and took back to the present.

What we haven't seen is what Peter's actual trip into the machine did. Did he stop himself from being saved from the lake by going into the machine, or did the observers manage to correct that themselves?

What we have seen is that in the two current universes have bonded, but we don't know how or why it worked. We also haven't seen how Walter managed to send the machine back in time yet. What if he could send more, such as the cure to Peter's childhood disease? What if he could save both Peters?

I don't bring these up as spoilers in any way, but just as an example to how many ways they could play this thing out, not just as cool science fiction stories, but as bigger moral and philosophical questions. That's what this episode actually foreshadowed. As the woman said "some things are just supposed to remain theories."

Now that I think about it more, not only was this a great episode, it was the most pivotal one this season. They still need to figure out why Peter is here at all, but once that happens, Peter is going to have to decide if getting back home is worth all the potential destruction it could cause.
Old 11-13-11, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

from TVLine.com:
Fringe‘s best episode of Season 4 to date sadly drew the Fox series’ lowest rating to date, dropping 15 percent week-to-week to a 1.1 ...
Old 11-13-11, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
We also haven't seen how Walter managed to send the machine back in time yet.
In the future there was a time wormhole that opened in Central Park(?). It was one of the fringe events destroying this universe. The other side of the wormhole was the Jurassic period, or some other prehistoric period. Walter, once he builds the machine, sends it back to prehistoric time through the wormhole. That's why everybody thinks the machine is ancient.
Old 11-13-11, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may very well have to watch all this again when the series is over.
Old 11-13-11, 10:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

interesting... so this is a 'third' universe?

I just assumed that this was the original universe, but somehow the machine or the observer changed the timeline where Peter was never saved as a boy?
Only assumed this because when Peter jumped in the future via the machine, it was still the same universe (just flashforward about 10-15years).

OR, are we to assume that because Peter changed things, that future universe never existed? (in which case the 'original' universe never existed when peter was never saved?)

Or is it just because of the orange credits, we're automatically suppose to assume it's a different universe?

I cant wait to see how they wrap this up... they just better not do what they did with Lost.
Old 11-13-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayre
from TVLine.com:
I'm not sure how much live ratings mean for Fox with this show anymore. It's till doing incredibly well in "Live Plus 7"
Old 11-13-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Good episode... It's LOST all over again.
Old 11-14-11, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Wow, great episode. I can't believe that the "Orange" universe is actually another universe and Peter is lost in time.

at Peter referring to Peter as "Subject" during his examination.

The case of the week in this episode was actually really cool and tied in pretty well to Peter's mess.
Old 11-14-11, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

um... Did anyone else get the "Faraday Cage" reference? The fact that Daniel Faraday exists in the Fringe universe gives me a nerd boner.
Old 11-14-11, 05:16 AM
Banned

Fantastic episode, my favorite of the season.

Loved the way Walter said "Yes I know what a Faraday Cage is, a baboon would."
Old 11-14-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLutter
um... Did anyone else get the "Faraday Cage" reference? The fact that Daniel Faraday exists in the Fringe universe gives me a nerd boner.
um...Lost's character was named after a real Scientist.

This season is definitely growing on me...

Last edited by JayDerek; 11-14-11 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-14-11, 10:05 AM

Maybe none of this is actually happening. This could all be Peter's mind wandering as a result of being in the machine and at some point he comes out of/is rescued from the machine and we return to just the 2 universes we had before he got into the machine.
Old 11-14-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JayDerek
um...Lost's character was named after a real Scientist.
Yeah.

Also, kinda funny reading some comments and thinking that some theories are crazy. Then after a few minutes thinking again and maybe they are true. That's why this is a great show!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.