Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So I'm getting my first system...Xbox or PS3?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-08-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Wii but that's for the kids. Now it's my turn! Any recommendations? Best graphics? Best selection? etc...

Thanks
Old 11-08-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: So I'm getting my first system...Xbox or PS3?

Old 11-08-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh god here we go. This topic is going to be messy

Basically graphics are a non-issue, they are about the same on both for the most part

YOU need to look at the exclusives and decide from that depending on what kind of games YOU like. Aside from exclusives, the only other thing is whether you want blu-ray playback, if you do then ps3 is the only one with that. Aside from those 2 things there really is no difference honestly, but it's up to you what kind of games you want and the exclusives, only you can decide that, no one else can.
Old 11-08-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Some other key differentiators:
-- Online multiplayer is free on the PS3 and has an additional cost on the XBox 360.
-- For motion control gaming, Kinect for XBox and PS Move for PS3 are very different approaches with different game libraries.

If you care about either of those things, the differences might tip the scale in one direction or the other.
Old 11-08-11, 02:59 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously you don't have a group of friends you like to game with or you would already know. Therefore: PS3 -- unless you hate the controller which is understandable.
Old 11-08-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I prefer my Xbox 360 over my PS3 (by a lot). That said I usually recommend people get the PS3 for a couple reasons, the primary is the free online features.

I have no issue paying for Xbox Live Gold because I know I'll use it, but $50/year is a good bit for casual users that may go months without logging on. That said, I prefer the downloadable games, controller and online play on the 360 over the PS3 and tend to buy multi-platform titles on the 360 (LA Noire was an exception). I really don't like the PS3 gamepad, even though it's something of a standard nowadays.
Old 11-08-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ha. Not trying to start a debate but just wondering if one outshines the other. Don't necessarily need a blu-ray as I already have one but it doesn't hurt. Never played so online is almost a non-issue for now. As far as games, something along the lines of Call of Duty and maybe a racing game or two. kefrank brings up a good point re: motion control. Hmm...
Old 11-08-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the online is a sticking point. I have a ps3 and I personally have never had an issue with the free online although people who have both tend to say 360's is better, but having had one myself before I don't see how it's better personally. As for kinect and ps3, having played both, I'm going to have to give the edge to 360 on this one. Kinect seems to be more well done than the move honestly.

As per Racing games, both have a great racing game on it (I"m not a fan) but 360 has Forza and Ps3 has Gran Turismo. Both very highly regarded for their graphics and gameplay.
Old 11-08-11, 03:18 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Xbox 360. So what if Live is $50 bucks a year? It costs me $70 to fill up my truck with gas once...$50 year isn't alot of money. The controller is better(the ps3 controller is terrible), the exclusive games are better(most at least), and xbox live is better.

u mentioned Call of Duty....the 360 controller works MUCH better with FPS games. The PS3 controller feels awkward.

*ducks behind couch*
Old 11-08-11, 03:24 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I have no issue paying for Xbox Live Gold because I know I'll use it, but $50/year is a good bit for casual users that may go months without logging on. That said, I prefer the downloadable games, controller and online play on the 360 over the PS3 and tend to buy multi-platform titles on the 360 (LA Noire was an exception). I really don't like the PS3 gamepad, even though it's something of a standard nowadays.
I agree with all of this.

The 360 is my primary gaming machine. The PS3 is my primary media center. I'll only play a game on the PS3 if it isn't available on the 360. I really hate the PS3 controller compared to the awesomeness of the 360 controller.

But there's no bad decision here. You'll be happy with either one. They both have excellent games and media features.
Old 11-08-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

If you don't already have a blu-ray player, get a PS3 (2 birds, one stone, etc.), if you do, get the 360; slightly better overall selection, and multi-platform games tend to run better on the 360.
Old 11-08-11, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

One thing I forgot to pick up on was what kind of games the OP likes. The PS3, imo, has a broader selection of exclusive titles -- I just think some of them (Killzone, Resistance) pale in comparison to their 360 counterparts (Halo, Gears of War), or at the very least are on a mostly level playing field (GT5:Forza4) -- but the PS3 titles hit more genres: Heavy Rain (genre: Adventure, closest on the 360 is Alan Wake), Uncharted 1,2,3 (genre: action/adventure), Ico/Shadow Collection (genre: puzzle adventure/camera management), Infamous (genre: boring, closest here is Crackdown), several sport titles, etc;

So I think the OP basically needs to just look at what titles interest him most, if they're all multi-console, go with the 360 (imo), if there are more of interest on one than the other - go with the one that seems more interesting.
Old 11-08-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should consider things like:
- which controller feels better to you.
- do your friends already own PS3s or 360s? Can you borrow games from them?
- do you want to play online (free on PS3)?
- are you interested in Kinect (360) or Move (PS3)?

Game libraries are fairly similar, especially if you're someone new to both systems, so if you can answer those questions I'm sure you'll know which one to get.
Old 11-08-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I think you should go get an old nintendo system. Screw this modern day console business. It is only going to leave you alone on the couch with five day old beer and stale potato chips in your boxer shorts.

/sarcasm (or IS IT?!)

Seriously, even though I own an Xbox 360 and love it, the PS3 might be a better choice. Mainly cause of the two birds, (blu-ray and games) are killed with one stone. However, I am not sure if you are DVD and Blu-Ray guy or just dvd guy. If you already own a blu-ray player, then 360 would probably be your choice due to the wider selection of games to appease all types and tastes. Graphics and all that, I honestly think is a wash between the two formats.
Old 11-08-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the games don't make the decision for you, think about if you have any interest in Blu Ray. If so, PS3 for you. If the 360's lineup of games is more your speed than the PS3 and you don't care/already have Bluray, Xbox it is.
Old 11-08-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have both systems, and enjoy various features in both. For game selection, PS3 beats Xbox hands down. They offered more exclusives than Xbox, and PSN is really kicking off with exclusive titles. Also, PS3 will be getting the new Final Fantasy game next January. Xbox hardware is really starting to get dated. Games like Rage required numerous disks for a 10 hour experience. Also, rumors are the next Xbox debuts in 2013. If history repeats, Microsoft will drop support for 360 like a hot potato.

I do prefer Xbox for a lot of games as you don't have to mess with installing, and updating the firmware is infrequent and fast. It's also sweet to have instant access to new and old movie trailers.
Old 11-08-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both systems and enjoy the Xbox 360 much better. Mainly it's the controller. The Kinect sensor is better than Move and Wii combined. I th
Old 11-08-11, 04:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I have both, and no real preference, but people praising the "free online" for PS3 are conveniently forgetting the huge outage when Sony accidentally exposed everybody's personal data to hackers.
Old 11-08-11, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Xbox but those HD game collections on the PS3 are pretty cool. If I never had a system before, I would get a PS3 just for those collections.
Old 11-08-11, 05:10 PM

It doesn't matter. You'll always be questioning your decision no matter which you choose. The grass is always greener and whatnot.
Old 11-08-11, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have both systems and my PS3 gets used the most....for gaming and watching movies. If you're going to be doing alot of online gaming and don't mind paying for it then get the 360. If you're just looking for a console to game on and watch blu-rays or use as a media center then get a PS3. Also like others have said, check out both controllers and see which one you feel more comfortable using. Both are great systems.
Old 11-08-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
I have both, and no real preference, but people praising the "free online" for PS3 are conveniently forgetting the huge outage when Sony accidentally exposed everybody's personal data to hackers.
Geez, all holding on to the past.

You act like that happened less than a year ago.

Yeah, as said, if you want a media center out of it along with games then go with the ps3. The thing is a media center beast in a way that 360 just cant top.
Old 11-08-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

360 here. My PS3 is for watching Blu-rays.
Old 11-08-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Having been a big PS2 fan and never having owned the original Xbox, I bought a PS3 first and played several games on it. Then I got an Xbox 360 and never looked back. Sold nearly all my PS3 games, repurchased the ones that were multiplatform for Xbox, and the PS3 is now exclusively a BD player/dust collector. The online experience with Xbox is miles better, the controller is incomparably better, and Kinect has a lot more potential than Move. I also feel like my personal data is more secure on XBL than PSN, for obvious reasons.

Having said all that, the multi-disc releases can be a pain when you know that they're single-disc on PS3, except in the cases where the multiple discs have beneficial side effects (see: Dead Space 2's Hard core mode).
Old 11-08-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would try out both controllers if you can. That is a major issue, because you'll be using it for most games. I happen to actually prefer the PS3 controller (if I install Gioteck Real Triggers), but that's not the popular opinion.

Other than that, they seem pretty balanced. Look at the exclusives, but I would have a hard time deciding because both systems have nice ones. For racing, you could get Forza on the 360 or Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3 and not really go wrong with either, IMHO. One key exclusive to keep in mind, if you want a baseball game, is MLB The Show (PS3), which is generally considered much better than the MLB 2K game you're limited to on the 360.

BTW, if you end up getting the PS3, it's probably a good idea to not give them your credit card number. Stick to PSN cards for store currency.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.