Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Using Paypal on Steam

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Using Paypal on Steam

Thanks to the AMD/Deus Ex promo, I recently got Steam on my PC. I also scored a free copy of Dirt 3 thanks to the purchase of the same video card that got me Deus Ex. Afterward, thanks to a poster here, I got Portal for free on Steam as well.

Needless to say, my initial impresion of Steam has been great. However, I can't seem to make any purchases on Steam. I use PayPal whenever possible and I see that it's an available option on Steam. However, no matter what I try to purchase on Steam (DLC for Deus Ex, a digital copy of CoD4:MW, etc), I keep getting an error message when I try to use PayPal.

One thing I notice is that, unlike other sites and services, there isn't a link that takes me to PayPal to complete the transaction. Instead, Steam asks for my billing info and has me pick a payment option. I select PayPal and made sure that my info is exactly what's in my PayPal account (I even copy/pasted all my info to be sure). However, as it's processing the order, it keeps giving me an error.

Is there some other step I need to carry out (on PayPal's end, perhaps) which is why I keep getting an error?
Old 11-07-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Using Paypal on Steam

Just to tell you, TF2 is free to play now also.
Old 11-07-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Not sure. I always pay with Paypal at Steam, and I just double checked it. After the screen where I select the method of payment I hit continue, and it takes me to another screen where I have a button that says "Begin Paypal Purchase". When I click that button it opens another window that takes me to Paypal to login and authorize the purchase. This is the way it's always been, I never setup anything special on either end so I could use Paypal.
Old 11-07-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

btw, was it an "unexpected error?" I'd say to bring it up in or ceck in Steam forums for a solution, but they are down temporarily for maintenance.
Old 11-07-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyronin
Just to tell you, TF2 is free to play now also.
What is TF2?

Originally Posted by crazyronin
btw, was it an "unexpected error?" I'd say to bring it up in or ceck in Steam forums for a solution, but they are down temporarily for maintenance.
Yes. That's the message I keep getting in an orange rectangle.
Old 11-07-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Team Fortress 2

I use PayPal all the time on Steam with no problems.