Reload this Page >

AMAZON -- Warner Gangster Collection 2-4 ---> $12-$15 from 3rd Party

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 11-06-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warner Gangster Collection 2-4 cheap thru 3rd party and available for FSSS. Prices may change at any moment.

Warner Gangsters Collection, Vol. 2 (Bullets or Ballots / City for Conquest / Each Dawn I Die / G Men / San Quentin / A Slight Case of Murder) (2008) 14.54
http://www.amazon.com/Gangsters-Coll...0608770&sr=1-2

Warner Gangsters Collection: Vol. 3 (Smart Money / Picture Snatcher / The Mayor of Hell / Lady Killer / Black Legion / Brother Orchid) (2008) 12.60
http://www.amazon.com/Warner-Gangste...0608770&sr=1-3

Warner Gangsters Collection, Vol. 4 (The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse / Invisible Stripes / Kid Galahad / Larceny, Inc. / The Little Giant / Public Enemies: The Golden Age of the Gangster Film) (2008) 12.71
http://www.amazon.com/Gangsters-Coll...0608770&sr=1-1
Old 11-06-11, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: AMAZON -- Warner Gangster Collection 2-4 ---> $12-$15 from 3rd Party

Thanks for this - picked up Vols. 3 and 4.

I almost picked up Vol. 2 but realised that I already own it! I'd been wanting to buy it for a while (thinking I only had Vol. 1) so it was a pleasant surprise to find it in my collection! Probably a sign that my DVD buying has spiralled out of hand now that I am forgetting I already have things!

(Incidentally, to prevent anyone double-dipping for a different reason, Vol. 2 was originally released under the title 'The Tough Guys Collection', before being rebranded).
Old 11-06-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I may grab all three of these. Good deals and I already own the first set.
Old 11-06-11, 05:42 PM

Great prices. I thought I did good getting 2/4 for 15/18 last month. LARCENY INC on vol 4 is especially good but all these films are quality. I haven't watched them all, but G-MEN and EACH DAWN I DIE were also great. Loads of extras to boot.

These are the kind of films that would never get a pressed release nowadays. If not for these sets, these films (at best) would be bare bone, overpriced DVD-Rs via the Warner Archive. WA typically gets 15-20 bucks for a single release, yet you get 5-6 films for that price here.
Old 11-06-11, 06:12 PM

18 movies for less than $40 ... That's a deal! ... Thanks, OP
Old 11-07-11, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts

I grabbed #3, thank you. All i need now is #1.
Old 11-07-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great sets at great prices. I can't recommend these highly enough as they are some of the best DVD packages WB has ever released. As soon as these go OOP the individual titles will wind up in the Warner Archive and, as so concisely and accurately described by RDF above, be nothing but a pale imitation of this deluxe pressed treatment.
Old 11-07-11, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I grabbed #3, thank you. All i need now is #1.
It looks like #1 is available for $25.
And a couple of the equally fine Warner Film Noir sets are under $25. If you don't already have them, it may be worth keeping an eye on them to see if they drop.
Old 11-07-11, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hoping the Mitchum box set and the first two Bette Davis boxes go for this cheap one of these days. Maybe the WB Shop will do another $11.00 box set sale on Black Friday like they did last year.
Old 11-07-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Hoping the Mitchum box set and the first two Bette Davis boxes go for this cheap one of these days. Maybe the WB Shop will do another $11.00 box set sale on Black Friday like they did last year.
If memory serves, Target.com also had a sale on Warner sets last holiday season.
Old 11-07-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great sets at great prices. I can't recommend these highly enough as they are some of the best DVD packages WB has ever released. As soon as these go OOP the individual titles will wind up in the Warner Archive and, as so concisely and accurately described by RDF above, be nothing but a pale imitation of this deluxe pressed treatment.
I've been noticing that; they seem to be deleting classics (likely as current stock runs out) & moving them to burned WACS.

With the mediocre discs they're using for the WACS, I'd like to see them move to a paid download model with a HUGE price drop. The few WACS I've bought I've reburned immediately upon receipt to superior media anyway.
Old 11-07-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moo if you truly discard your inferior WA discs, I'll gladly take the cast offs. I know first hand that your taste in vintage film is impeccable.
Old 11-07-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
If memory serves, Target.com also had a sale on Warner sets last holiday season.
I seem to remember this now that you mention it. Getting any of these Warner sets for relatively cheap prices is worth it. That studio often set the standard for quality packages of great films and polls showed them at the very top of favorite DVD manufacturer lists, even surpassing Criterion some years. It's a shame to see what their business model has become.
Old 11-07-11, 08:19 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

One problem is Gangster Box 2 and 3 were all appearing at Big Lots in singles in the last 6 months. So I bought half of them there already. I bought box 2, 3 and 4 anyway. But I bet Box 4 will show up there too in singles in the next 6 months.
I have some duplicates, but I didn't open the Big Lots ones yet thankfully. But they don't seem to go for much more than I paid at Big Lots currently.
Old 11-07-11, 08:33 PM

Thank you, OP. That's $40 I should be saving, but what's money but to spend on what we enjoy?
Old 11-08-11, 12:16 AM

Vol 3 is terrific. PICTURE SNATCHER, LADY KILLER, and MAYOR OF HELL are three great pre-code Cagney titles. MAYOR OF HELL was much better than I expected it to be. The plot doesn't sound like much, but it's a powerful little movie. BLACK LEGION, a Bogart entry, is a gripping social drama that's impossible not to be intrigued by. SMART MONEY and BROTHER ORCHID trail behind those four, but they're still worthwhile.
Old 11-08-11, 12:49 AM
g

I seem to remember this now that you mention it. Getting any of these Warner sets for relatively cheap prices is worth it. That studio often set the standard for quality packages of great films and polls showed them at the very top of favorite DVD manufacturer lists, even surpassing Criterion some years. It's a shame to see what their business model has become.
Way to go Warner. From best to worst. I agree with you. But, in some ways it has been good for me. As I have no need to buy any Warner Archive releases. They are completely counter to my collector tendencies. They are saving me a bundle of money with few good new releases. And helping me with my space issues. And, I can buy their overstock past triumphs cheap.
Old 11-08-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 568 Likes on 425 Posts

The Warner Archive has been the best thing to happen to home video — and true cinema junkies — in the past couple of years. DVDSavant's reviews of its many treasures is easily the next best thing. How many hundreds, eventually thousands, of these pictures would never have been seen at all were it not for the format? And how long would we have waited under any existing release strategies during the past ten years? Many of the Archive titles are very much worthy of release on "real" DVDs, but the market for those said otherwise. Sure, they're overpriced at $20 a pop, but who the hell pays full price for such discs anyways? Smarter to wait for the recurring sales, as I'm sure most people do. Or better yet, wait until Warner inevitably flips the switch and make the whole damned collection available for streaming. That day's coming.

Rest assured, all of these Gangster titles will end up in as Archive DVD-Rs soon enough—many previous DVD titles have already gone that route—so it's wise to grab the third-party cheapo bargain (liquidation?) deals while you can (much to Warner's chagrin, no doubt, though I'm sure people only buying their "past triumphs cheap" only further justifies their decision to create the Archive in the first place. )

Last edited by Brian T; 11-08-11 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
Rest assured, all of these Gangster titles will end up in as Archive DVD-Rs soon enough—many previous DVD titles have already gone that route—so it's wise to grab the third-party cheapo bargain (liquidation?) deals while you can (much to Warner's chagrin, no doubt, though I'm sure people only buying their "past triumphs cheap" only further justifies their decision to create the Archive in the first place. )
No chagrin, Warner are the ones initiating the liquidation prices at wholesale.
Old 11-08-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I grabbed Volumes 3 and 4. I may or may not already own Vol. 2, so I will check when I get home and might buy it or see if it goes below $15.
Old 11-08-11, 04:45 PM
g

Actually I bought many of Warners past triumphs as they were being released for near regular price over the past ten years. I have many warner sets in my display at home. I'm buying the ones I passed over or sold over the years from my collection. Hence, that is how I am saving money. As I primarily buy classics and Warners sets were a main attraction for a decade. Now they have few releases that I'm interested in.
Further, there is a place for the Warner Archive and a place for pressed sets like these. Warner's Archive invention has convinced many of the studios to follow their lead and wreck the chance for more triumphs like these. Warner has decided near everything belongs in the archive even the titles which have a market.

Last edited by g; 11-08-11 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 568 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by g
Further, there is a place for the Warner Archive and a place for pressed sets like these.
What place? Besides the place they occupy on our own shelves, it's certainly not the brick and mortar stores with their atrophying media sections that have little space for deep catalog stuff like this that just doesn't sell at retail anymore. Sure, there's the long tail of Amazon and other online retailers, and that's great, but for movies on disc from major studios (and maybe even minors some day), MOD is increasingly, and eventually financially, a better fit in the short term until they decide to move away from discs altogether and just stream everything.

Originally Posted by g
Warner's Archive invention has convinced many of the studios to follow their lead and wreck the chance for more triumphs like these.
The days of "triumphs" on real DVDs like that are numbered, as we've clearly seen now. As much as I'm amazed by the sheer quantity of interesting titles turning up in the Archives, I'm also squarely convinced that the potential sales for the majority of it would not have justified the expense involved in releasing it to pressed DVDs, even in themed box sets, especially this late in the game. All movie studios, then as now, churned out or acquired one hell of a lot of filler over the years—good and bad—and we're just now seeing the true extent of it through these MOD services. Small wonder they created the Archives—just get it all out there, sometimes remastered, for the people in the long tail who do want it, and eliminate the unprofitable cost of trying to get it into stores or online distribution warehouses where it won't move massive quantities anyway. On-Demand solves a lot of the problems of a dying marketplace and at least allows the vaults to be emptied of their riches, so to speak, since there's a niche audience out there for just about everything.

Originally Posted by g
Warner has decided near everything belongs in the archive
That's a bit premature, but it certainly appears to be headed that way, so we should stock up on the "real" stuff while we still can! I ordered two of these Gangster sets myself.

Originally Posted by g
even the titles which have a market.
Again, it ain't much of a market these days . . .

Last edited by Brian T; 11-09-11 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just realized I have all 6 films from set #1 on regular Warner dvd's already, so i guess I'm done with this series!
Old 11-09-11, 08:35 PM
g

Again, it ain't much of a market these days . . . [/QUOTE]

I do believe the studios have taken the Archive concept too far. I understand the beneficial Archive concept for little seen entertainment. However, lately, Sony has announced that their third Noir set is going to be a vault title at TCM. These are often pressed discs at beginning and often change to MOD. The first two sets appeared to have a popularity on Amazon based on reviews and when I checked sales ranks over the years. Or alternatively, there is the Jean Harlow archive set forthcoming that Warner had previously announced as a regular set.
This already has a good Amazon sales rank showing demand.
They are solely using the Archive concept to crunch out as much money as they can out of a title for zero expenditure through the archive concept. They want a 44.99 selling price for archive like product that is the same price for what they did as a pressed set. This is not the niche product that a lot of the content in the archive is. It is simply a numbers game to give us less for our money. The WB is taking relatively popular previously pressed titles like Unsinkable Molly brown and forcing people to pay for the MOD version based on amazon.com sales rank. It has 67 reviews on amazon and high sell rate as a MOD. This is not a niche product.
I don't give my thanks to warner for this. I think it is the opposite for me.

Last edited by g; 11-09-11 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The authoring sucks on the WACS also. Most of them don't show the time elapsed or left.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.