Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Scorpion Releasing: Katarina's Nightmare Theater (New/Upcoming DVDs)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't find any recent threads devoted to this. This DVD line has been active & has enough stored in the future to warrant its own thread, I think.

The official web site has an impressive line-up of upcoming & announced titles.

You can look here for New & Coming Soon releases.

As for Titles Announced:
American Nightmare (1983)
Day After Halloween (1978)
Double Exposure (1983)
Fantasist (1989)
Human Experiments (1980)
Incubus (1982)
Mark of Cain / Thrill Kill [Double Feature]
Satan's Slave (1976)
Survivor, The (1980)
Whispers

Each film has its own page which lists the purported bonus features. Since I'm particularly interested in The Survivor, an example:
DVD FEATURES:
- Watch this in "Katarina's Nightmare Theater" format with our Hostess Katarina Leigh Waters or Play Feature Only.
- Brand New 16x9 widescreen (2:35) of the longer 99minute cut!
- Audio commentary with Producer Anthony I. Ginnaine moderated by Katarina Leigh Waters
- Original Trailer

TECHNICAL INFO:
Color
2.35:1
Dolby Digital Mono
Region 0
Anyone, feel free to chime in when you learn of these films' release dates.

So, who's looking forward to what?
Scorpion's Katarina vs. Code Red's Maria: preferences?

I've only seen Maria's shtick on Haunted so far, but I find Katarina's accent much more pleasant to listen to.
Old 11-06-11, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Scorpion Releasing: Katarina's Nightmare Theater (New/Upcoming DVDs)

I've been picking these up. Initially, I'd started grabbing them to watch during the horror challenge. These and the Maria series. Of all the ones I bought, the only I one I actually got around to watching was Final Exam. I'm a sucker for horror flicks and both Katarina and Maria, so I'll probably just keep getting them as they're released.
Old 11-06-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I've been picking these up. Initially, I'd started grabbing them to watch during the horror challenge. These and the Maria series. Of all the ones I bought, the only I one I actually got around to watching was Final Exam.
Only Katarina I've bought so far is The Devil Within Her, but I've been curious about Nothing But The Night & can't find any reviews for that. The Pyx looks interesting but Karen Black bugs me for some reason. And I already have the Mondo Macabro pressing of Satan's Blood.

Only Maria title I've bought is Night of the Demon (2nd pressing with the hilarious reversible cover). I'm glad I only rented Haunted because... *phew* I usually champion the unearthing of obscure films, but sometimes a film comes along that makes me think "maybe this should've remained obscure".
Old 11-07-11, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Scorpion Rreleasing thread here
Old 12-07-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Announced release dates:

1/14/12
The Devil's Men/Terror
The House on Sorority Row
Revenge
LA Is My Home Town

2/21/12
Double Exposure (1983)
Pigeons
Mark of Cain / Thrill Kill [Double Feature]
Whispers

3/20/12
Puppet On A Chain
Satan's Slave (1976)

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 01-10-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-11-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

A release date for American Nightmare really needs to drop!
Old 12-11-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Cool...good to have some release dates finally.
Old 12-26-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Aficionado now has The Survivor listed as "Announced" with a release date of 4/17/12. No UPC or ASIN yet.
Old 12-27-11, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
DVD Aficionado now has The Survivor listed as "Announced" with a release date of 4/17/12. No UPC or ASIN yet.
Looking forward to that one! The more Aussie films the better.
Old 12-27-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Yeah, I've been itching to see some of the horror films featured in Not Quite Hollywood. Especially Next of Kin, though it seems unlikely that will ever get R1 distribution.

I saw that Synapse was supposed to release Dark Age at some point, but it seems to have fallen into indefinite delay.
Old 12-28-11, 12:05 AM

Agreed, hopefully they can release Max: A Cautionary Tale (2003).
Old 01-08-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

3/20 releases available for preorder:

Anyone seen Satan's Slave? I seem to be on a Michael Gough kick & am wondering how this compares with his other horror/genre work. (I'm also becoming a Patrick Magee fan, I love his oddball performances.)

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 01-10-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-11-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good news, my friend!

The Survivor now has a street date of 4/17. (UPC: 851740003581)

Not on Amazon yet, but as I type this it's listed for sale at CD Universe (and I'm sure more to come with this Google Shopping search link).
Old 01-12-12, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet! Definitely picking up The Survivor.

Also I'm not sure if you are Region-Free but (obviously) many of the films featured in the Not Quite Hollywood documentary are available in their country of origin.

I think Next of Kin was on a Double Feature in R4 with another film that was an Aussie-Horror biggie there. There is also a single release for the film as well.

Ordered Fair Game (1986) from EzyDVD a couple years ago and haven't regretted it since
Old 01-12-12, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Survivor makes for a nice triple-feature with Sole Survivor and From the Dead of Night.

I was really excited when Synapse announced Dark Age. I've had the VHS for years, and I was looking forward to seeing the beautiful scenery (Nikki Coghill included) in a properly framed transfer. It's my favorite of all the killer croc/gator films.

I haven't seen Not Quite Hollywood, but being a horror fan who bares an immense fascination with Australia, I've seeked out several Aussie horrors over the years. Long Weekend and Next of Kin are the cream of the crop. I originally came across the latter in HEB's video section of all places back in the early 90's. I'd love to see it get a nice Blu-ray release some day. I was disappointed that Severin didn't go the Blu route with their recent release of Nightmares, as I had the Umbrella disc and was hoping for such an upgrade.

Innocent Prey is my favorite Aussie slasher. I'd love to see it get a nice release, though my VHS looks surprisingly excellent. The same can be said for Out of the Body, which is incredibly fun and in need of a proper release as well. While I have Cassandra on VHS, I need to spring for the Umbrella DVD eventually.

On the topic of American Nightmare, I was a bit disappointed by it. I need to revisit it, but I think Stone Cold Dead is a superior film in a very similar vein.
Old 01-12-12, 10:34 AM

3/20 releases available for preorder:

Anyone seen Satan's Slave? I seem to be on a Michael Gough kick & am wondering how this compares with his other horror/genre work. (I'm also becoming a Patrick Magee fan, I love his oddball performances.)
I'm in for Puppet on a Chain; it's probably got the best boat chase I've ever seen other than the third Indy movie.
Old 01-14-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by J. Farley
I was really excited when Synapse announced Dark Age. I've had the VHS for years, and I was looking forward to seeing the beautiful scenery (Nikki Coghill included) in a properly framed transfer. It's my favorite of all the killer croc/gator films.
I wonder what ever happened to it. I know back in 2009, Don May Jr. had said they were still waiting on materials and other clearances for the film.

Also Dark Age finally got a R4 release last year!

http://mcbastardsmausoleum.blogspot....-age-1977.html

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/DVD/dark-age/dp/821030
Old 01-19-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by J. Farley
The Survivor makes for a nice triple-feature with Sole Survivor and From the Dead of Night.

I haven't seen Not Quite Hollywood, but being a horror fan who bares an immense fascination with Australia, I've seeked out several Aussie horrors over the years. Long Weekend and Next of Kin are the cream of the crop.
I'm relatively new to the genre, but so far Long Weekend is my favorite. I'm a big fan of mood/atmosphere, and films that fall into the grey area between arthouse & exploitation. Aside from Next of Kin & The Survivor, are there any others that would appeal to a fan of Long Weekend? (Even though they're considered more arthouse, I enjoyed the ambiguity of early Peter Weir films like Picnic At Hanging Rock & The Last Wave. I don't know why the ozploitation auteurs seem to have this reverse snobbery towards Peter Weir.)

Also Dark Age finally got a R4 release last year!
Even better, I just discovered it's NTSC Region Free! https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/p-3057-dark-age.aspx
The only international retailer (that is, outside Aus/NZ) I've found it at is DaaVeeDee's. Anyone ordered from them? Diabolik DVD doesn't have it.

And Amazon has it subtitled "Blood Surf 2", but the only "Blood Surf" I find was produced in 2000. As Dark Age is subtitled on IMDB: "aka "Blood Surf 2" - Philippines (English title) (bootleg title)".
Old 01-20-12, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm relatively new to the genre, but so far Long Weekend is my favorite. I'm a big fan of mood/atmosphere, and films that fall into the grey area between arthouse & exploitation. Aside from Next of Kin & The Survivor, are there any others that would appeal to a fan of Long Weekend? (Even though they're considered more arthouse, I enjoyed the ambiguity of early Peter Weir films like Picnic At Hanging Rock & The Last Wave. I don't know why the ozploitation auteurs seem to have this reverse snobbery towards Peter Weir.)
I would suggest Encounter at Raven's Gate, which has the same air of unknowing to it, as well as The Dreaming and Frenchman's Farm. All three are very unique examples of the genre, both in story and execution. Colin Eggleston's Cassandra has a more typical story, but he brings an enigmatic mood to it that works in the film's favor. I'd also recommend Celia, which straddles genre lines like Picnic at Hanging Rock and The Last Wave.

While more recent, Lost Things has an atmosphere that is quite similar to Long Weekend. It struck me as an homage to that film, actually. Another recent one that is very strong on mood is Lake Mungo. It kept me on edge throughout, and one sequence late into the film really unsettled me.
Old 01-20-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ozploitation Re: Scorpion Releasing: Katarina's Nightmare Theater (New/Upcoming DVDs)

Thanks for the additional suggestions, Farley. I've tracked down most of them.

And I just realized Lost Things is one of those titles I added to my queue because it turned up in a search for "Lovecraftian", but I ended up forgetting it until now!

..Anywho, back to Scorpion. Not listed as a Katarina release, Scorpion's added this to their upcoming list:

http://scorpionreleasing.com/web-con...hship_syn.html
Old 01-27-12, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone heard of Mortuary (1983) w/ Bill Paxton? I discovered this:

STREET DATE: 5/15/2012
UPC: 851740003710
LABEL: Scorpion Releasing
LIST PRICE: 19.95

DESCRIPTION: BILL PAXTON, CHRISTOPHER GEORGE, and LYNDA DAY GEORGE star in this chilling tale of horror-filled nightmares that comes startlingly close to reality! Christie Parson (Mary McDonough - THE WALTONS) has been having terrifying nightmares ever since her father drowned in the family swimming pool. She knows his death was not an accident, but no one believes her. That is, until her boyfriend Greg (David Wallace, HUMONGOUS) sees a hooded figure, identical to the one that Christie has described as being in her nightmares, in the town's mortuary.
http://ada-music.com/release?id=adar...onfig194222353
Old 01-27-12, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Ozploitation Re: Scorpion Releasing: Katarina's Nightmare Theater (New/Upcoming D

And I just realized Lost Things is one of those titles I added to my queue because it turned up in a search for "Lovecraftian", but I ended up forgetting it until now!

..Anywho, back to Scorpion. Not listed as a Katarina release, Scorpion's added this to their upcoming list:

Nice! The UK has had a pretty nice SE of Death Ship for a while. Wonder if Scorpion will be porting over any of the extras that made it on the UK release.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Ship-D...7663396&sr=8-1
Old 01-27-12, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice. I never imported so I'll probably be picking this one up.

Anyone heard of Mortuary (1983) w/ Bill Paxton? I discovered this:

http://ada-music.com/release?id=adar...onfig194222353
If it is the same one I'm thinking of it's garbage in my opinion. It's heavy on trying to have that cheesy 80s charm but fails miserably. I reviewed it on my blog a while back if anyone is interested in reading it I can send you a link. Might help you decide before spending the $.
Old 02-08-12, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, I've noticed The Survivor is popping up for pre-order on a few more sites. DVD Planet & DD have it now. Not on Amazon yet, they're not as up to date on these Scorpion DVDs.
Old 02-08-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, I've noticed The Survivor is popping up for pre-order on a few more sites. DVD Planet & DD have it now. Not on Amazon yet, they're not as up to date on these Scorpion DVDs.
Hopefully Amazon gets a listing up for it soon, since I have Prime.

Where is the release date for American Nightmare!?!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.