Old 11-01-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Parenthood -- "Forced Family Fun" -- 11/01/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sensing her family growing apart , Kristina (Monica Potter) demands a family night that doesn't go as she had expected. Crosby (Dax Shepard) fears Jasmine's (Joy Byrant) new date will replace him as Jabbar's (Tyree Brown) father. Julia (Erika Christensen) oversteps her boundaries with Zoe (Rosa Salazar) and Zeek (Craig T. Nelson) continues to have mixed emotions about Sarah's (Lauren Graham) involvement with Seth (guest star John Corbett). Also starring: Bonnie Bedelia, Peter Krause, Mae Whitman, Savannah Paige Rae, Sarah Ramos and Max Burkholder.

Read more: Listings - PARENTHOOD on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1cUAlnqCe

Episode 7 of 18
Old 11-02-11, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Parenthood -- "Forced Family Fun" -- 11/01/11

Sarah's going to deserve the heartache that's inevitably coming to her because of all this.
Old 11-02-11, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think my DVR recorded this last night. Guess I'm watching on Hulu at lunch.
Old 11-02-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Julia's destined to put her foot in her mouth, even with the best of intentions.

Can't muster much sympathy for Crosby. What a whiner.

Kristina is a mess, fun to watch, hard to take in spots.

Sarah is going to get disappointed again, and lose the new guy.
Old 11-02-11, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people dislike the Crosby character. I think he was very immature when the show started but has come a long way since then. He tries hard to do the right things, but his emotions often get the best of him. He is a bit of a whiner, but he is just voicing his emotions. I thought his reaction to a new man in his son's life was very real. The way he handles things is not always good, but his feelings are often very understandable. Anyway, I find his character funny and interesting.

Zeke feeling completely helpless while watching his daughter go through these issues over and over is very real as well. He might not handle things well all the time, either, but he, too is very emotional even though he might not want to admit it.

Not sure where they are going to go with the Seth story. I can't imagine it is going to be a happy ending for anyone. Sarah's judgment is being clouded by the simple history, memories, and familiarity she has of Seth. Somehow, those things can make more recent bad things just fade to the back of your mind. Of course, because of it, she's missing out on a very good man.

As always, I really love this show.
Old 11-02-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Kristina is a mess, fun to watch, hard to take in spots.
I'm glad she left them. I would of killed someone in the van. Holy hell.

Sarah is going to get disappointed again, and lose the new guy.
Poor Sarah. I hope she doesn't.
Old 11-02-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My enjoyment of the show always comes back to small moments and little touches.

When Christina storms back in the house, and the moment of Adam having a look and taking that small breath out as if to steel himself before going upstairs, made me feel like i was married again.

While Crosby comes off a little whiny, i think they (writers and actor) are capturing how much it sucks when someone you love(d) is moving on and finding someone new. I was personally whiny too, and not able to say out loud that it was hard to see this going on in front of me.

Last edited by Ropes Pierre; 11-02-11 at 11:08 AM. Reason: speeling
Old 11-02-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Claytonian
A lot of people dislike the Crosby character. I think he was very immature when the show started but has come a long way since then.
Crosby is a saint compared to the original character in the movie.

This talking over each other technique they use on this show was really irritating last night. Yeah, it's supposed to be more true to life but all it does is grate on my nerves. Less (a lot less) of this would greatly improve the show. And the Asperger kid is an incredibly annoying character.

But the overall quality of this show is still much higher than average IMO.
Old 11-02-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Love how they do the Crosby situation on this show - I mean, its been forever since the incident and it still holds up strong........I want it to keep going (as weird as that sounds).

I've had to use that "It's cool that you can tell me you still have feelings for someone up front but just so you know....I will be gone soon if it continues" line before as well - I thought they did a good job with that too.

Yeah, she will get her heart broken again.
Old 11-03-11, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Claytonian
Not sure where they are going to go with the Seth story. I can't imagine it is going to be a happy ending for anyone. Sarah's judgment is being clouded by the simple history, memories, and familiarity she has of Seth. Somehow, those things can make more recent bad things just fade to the back of your mind. Of course, because of it, she's missing out on a very good man.
Well, the TV cliche says that he will get clean, then OD a few weeks later in a relapse. I hope they don't take this all-too-predictable route.

-jason