Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Music Photography - Post Here

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am a music photographer. And we have a section on music here and a lot of people on here have a real love for music. But I avoid posting up my music photography as I think its a bit self-promotional, and just because people like music doesn't mean they care about photos from live shows. Should I be?

Would anyone have interest in seeing photos from shows I cover? Feel free to say no, and voice it. I don't want to be taking up space on the boards for no reason.

If there is an interest, how should I post?
- new thread for every show?
- monthly recurring thread?
- one big recurring thread?

Let me know. Or ignore the thread and I will get the idea.

I don't post in here as much as I used to. One reason being time.

If you do want to check out some of my work to see if it's worthy, go here:
www.irocktheshot.com

Recent Shows:
Foster the People
Anthrax
The Damned
G Love & Special Sauce
New Found Glory
Elvis Costello
Bush
Cyndi Lauper

Upcoming shows:
Evanescence
Fitz & The Tantrums
Chris Cornell
Old 11-01-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Music Photography - Post Here

Some nice pics. Like the Slash (Anthrax photos) one. He always seemed like a nice guy running into him around the city, like at the old (RIP) Scrap Bar.

Anyway - like the idea and would like to seem some others post pics as well.
Sorry - none from me.
Old 11-01-11, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I like the idea of ONE thread for Music Photos. I almost started one for Live Music Videos, since I shoot lots of concerts and do editing, etc...
Old 11-01-11, 05:36 PM
Banned

If they are like they used to show in ROLLING STONE magazine in the 70's that would be cool.
Or even those Milley Cyrus sexy ones.
Old 11-01-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a shot of Yo La Tengo playing the Sanctuary at the First Unitarian Church in Philadelphia, PA in 2007.

Old 11-01-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Strictly an audience shooter with a point and shoot (so far), but this is something I would love to do more often.

Geoff Tate of Queensryche

Buddy Guy
Old 11-02-11, 10:05 AM

okay, cool. if anyone wants some critiques, ask when you post. i am happy to give some pointers about concert shooting.

you can always hit me up on Facebook with questions as well...happy to help.

www.facebook.com/joepapeophotography

i'll post a few in a bit.
Old 11-02-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is a great idea for a thread, and look forward to what will be posted here. Nice way to highlight a visual aspect to what is sometimes only seen as an auditory thing.
Old 11-02-11, 10:38 AM

Ropes - where is NYC-ish?
Old 11-02-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My problem is I always used a camera just a level below "prosumer" (so a Canon G6 for example). Concerts are dark. Non-SLR digitals don't do well in dark places.

Would love to get to an SLR but that's a $1000+ purchase that's not in the cards for now.
Old 11-02-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never was too into concert photography. I just started to film every show I go to by small time bands in clubs though. Everyone in the bands was happy to get copies of what I filmed so it's pretty cool.
Old 11-02-11, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
My problem is I always used a camera just a level below "prosumer" (so a Canon G6 for example). Concerts are dark. Non-SLR digitals don't do well in dark places.

Would love to get to an SLR but that's a $1000+ purchase that's not in the cards for now.
Most modern SLRs will perform fine at concerts. Its the lenses that will get you, although there are some good budget lenses that work well in low-light.

There are some glorified point and shoot cameras that work well at concerts, like the Canon G12, S95/100 or Panasonic LX5. You won't be able to produce a photo set for an editor to publish, but you'll be able to get a few to post on Facebook that come out remarkably well.
Old 11-02-11, 03:34 PM

Here's a few highlights....

1 Soundgarden - full set: http://irocktheshot.com/2011/07/photos-soundgarden-at-prudential-center-7-8-11/

2 Anthrax - full set: http://irocktheshot.com/2011/09/photos-anthraxs-secret-show-at-the-best-buy-theater-9-12-11/

3 Bush - full set: http://irocktheshot.com/2011/10/phot...atre-10-13-11/

4 Dave - full set: http://irocktheshot.com/2011/09/photos-dave-matthews-band-at-the-carvan-on-governors-island-8-26-11/

5 Elvis Costello - full set: http://irocktheshot.com/2011/10/phot...eatre-10-6-11/

6 Flaming Lips - full set: http://irocktheshot.com/2011/08/phot...enter-7-28-11/

Last edited by SoSpacey; 11-02-11 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-02-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Oh, neat! I'm an amateur concert photographer. It's something I really enjoy doing, and my friends who accompany me to the shows love it. I need to learn more about lenses and all the different settings on my camera, though. I'm really lost when it comes to that sort of thing.

While I haven't been to any shows in more than a year, I might post some of my shots I like from past shows here as well. Feedback is welcome but at least be a little gentle.

Dave Navarro of Jane's Addiction, May 12, 2009

DSCN0272 by clckworang, on Flickr
Old 11-02-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess my question would be, how do you get the permission to shoot? It's like you have experience to get the work, yet you can't get the experience without having shot some bands.
Old 11-02-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I guess my question would be, how do you get the permission to shoot? It's like you have experience to get the work, yet you can't get the experience without having shot some bands.
this. I am actually taking photo classes and my main goal is to do concert photography. May I ask how you got started in the field. Great pics btw.
Old 11-02-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
Most modern SLRs will perform fine at concerts. Its the lenses that will get you, although there are some good budget lenses that work well in low-light.

There are some glorified point and shoot cameras that work well at concerts, like the Canon G12, S95/100 or Panasonic LX5. You won't be able to produce a photo set for an editor to publish, but you'll be able to get a few to post on Facebook that come out remarkably well.
The biggest problem I have with point and shoots is the lag after pressing the shutter. With the constantly changing lighting and performer movement, I miss a lot of shots.

There are a few p&s cameras that open up to around f2.0 these days, and most newer cameras (both p&S & DSLR) can shoot at higher ISOs without too much trouble. Some even shoot in RAW.
Old 11-02-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SoSpacey

I've gotten some OK shots with the G6:

Old 11-03-11, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang
Oh, neat! I'm an amateur concert photographer. It's something I really enjoy doing, and my friends who accompany me to the shows love it. I need to learn more about lenses and all the different settings on my camera, though. I'm really lost when it comes to that sort of thing.

While I haven't been to any shows in more than a year, I might post some of my shots I like from past shows here as well. Feedback is welcome but at least be a little gentle.

Dave Navarro of Jane's Addiction, May 12, 2009

DSCN0272 by clckworang, on Flickr
Its a good photo. I might just boost the contrast a bit. Be careful of the crop at the legs. It looks like you cropped Dave at his ankles. Go a little higher and a little tighter to the left to get him out of the center of the frame. Nit-picks, but good photo.

Isnt that the question in most every field I work for a few outlets at this point, including one the larger promoters in NYC. My first photo pass was a Dave Matthews show in AZ in like 2001 and I only got it because I traveled in to the arena with the opener, Soulive, and they wanted some shots to use and saw I had a professional camera. Digital killed me for a while as I couldnt afford the equipment. Once I could, I asked Blues Traveler for a pass (I have seen them around 45-50 times over the years, and know their now tour manager) and then marketed my work to some outlets.

Most people start by shooting smaller bands in smaller venues that allow people to photograph. Once you develop a portfolio and start meeting people it will open up some doors.

Originally Posted by hippie68
this. I am actually taking photo classes and my main goal is to do concert photography. May I ask how you got started in the field. Great pics btw.
Thanks. See above for this answer.

Originally Posted by Jason
The biggest problem I have with point and shoots is the lag after pressing the shutter. With the constantly changing lighting and performer movement, I miss a lot of shots.

There are a few p&s cameras that open up to around f2.0 these days, and most newer cameras (both p&S & DSLR) can shoot at higher ISOs without too much trouble. Some even shoot in RAW.
Yeah, thats why I say you will get a few good ones and not an entire set. The mroe you know the music you are shooting the easier it wwill be though. If you know when a song will build up and where the break is, you will be able to anticipate the musician doing something which will help, especially with a point and shoot.

All three cameras I mentioned have fast lenses and handle high ISO well.

Originally Posted by The Bus
I've gotten some OK shots with the G6:

Thats a good shot, especially from an older G6 that didnt handle high iso well. But you did the important thing right, you nailed the focus and you got the drummer's face and sticks in the air. The shutter speed is perfect because it allows some motion to the stick which is something you want.
Old 11-10-11, 04:23 PM

Evanescence

Whole set:
http://irocktheshot.com/2011/11/phot...nal-5-11-1-11/
Old 11-10-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I gotta pull my wife in on this thread... she loves her concert photography.
Old 11-10-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I always liked your shots in the Hot Chick thread, SoSpacey
Old 11-10-11, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Awesome pics SoSpacey. Ever have your photos run in mags?
Old 11-10-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A couple of mine...

Dave Alvin (Canon 350D with 50mm 1.4)

IMG_0430 by chrisedge, on Flickr

Cheap Trick (Panasonic ZS3)

P1000957 by chrisedge, on Flickr

The Edge (Sony DSC-M1)

DSC00255 by chrisedge, on Flickr

Bono (Canon S300)

IMG_4428 by chrisedge, on Flickr

I have some good lenses to use, 50mm 1.4 / 17-55mm 2.8 IS / 70-200mm 2.8 IS, but need a much better body since mine is really old. (350D) But I do more HD video stuff anyways so not too into it unless I could get a pit pass. Just realized all 4 pics are with different cameras...LOL
Old 11-15-11, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I gotta pull my wife in on this thread... she loves her concert photography.
do it

Originally Posted by davidh777
I always liked your shots in the Hot Chick thread, SoSpacey
thanks David.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Awesome pics SoSpacey. Ever have your photos run in mags?
There are so few print magazines anymore. I am a constributor at Spin but they only publish 6 live photos every month. I've been a contributor since January and have had 2 make the final cut. One from Band of Horses and one from Erasure, believe it or not.

I do a lot of work for an online magazine, The Waster.... www.thewaster.com

I've been published in Black Book Magazine (online) when I did a feature on actor Frank Vincent. I can show you those if you have interest.

One cool thing I have coming up is 2 of my photos were licensed for Chris Cornell's upcoming live CD (November 21st release date). Psyched about that.

A couple of mine...

I have some good lenses to use, 50mm 1.4 / 17-55mm 2.8 IS / 70-200mm 2.8 IS, but need a much better body since mine is really old. (350D) But I do more HD video stuff anyways so not too into it unless I could get a pit pass. Just realized all 4 pics are with different cameras...LOL
All good photos but that last one is exceptional. I love the motion is his arms.

Similar lenses to what I use but I shoot with a 24-70 instead of the 17-55. I actually like the 17-55 better but my 5D2 is my main body and it wont work.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.