Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount 25% Sale

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Deep Discount 25% Sale

Old 10-30-11, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deep Discount 25% Sale

The "Mothra" of of all sales (their joke, not mine).
Code is WINTER11.
Sale dates are 11/03/2011 - 11/20/2011.
Old 10-30-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Deep Discount 25% Sale

Originally Posted by 35MM
The "Mothra" of of all sales
I don't recall Mothra only destroying select buildings instead of the entire city and increasing the sizes of certain buildings so that their subsequent destruction would appear more impressive than they actually were.
Old 10-30-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

This would be great if it stacks with the Kino dvd/bd sale that is ongoing.
Old 10-30-11, 06:47 PM
Banned

DD = !!!
Old 10-30-11, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noirfan
i don't recall mothra only destroying select buildings instead of the entire city and increasing the sizes of certain buildings so that their subsequent destruction would appear more impressive than they actually were.
haw!!!!!!
Old 10-30-11, 07:34 PM

I can't seem to put anything into my wishlist. I've had this problem for months now. I contacted DD about it, and they said it's something about my cookies. Can anyone else add items to their wishlist?
Old 10-30-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, since they're using a coupon code this time, maybe it'll be a site-wide sale again instead of making us hunt for the five items that are discounted. But they'll have to have some decent prices for me to use them again.
Old 10-30-11, 09:15 PM

If this sale is Mothra, then the B&N Criterion sale is Godzilla.
Old 10-30-11, 09:30 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 367 Likes on 249 Posts

They've done 25% off sales before, 25% off Deep Discount's prices isn't that big of a sale, especially when you have to deal with Deep Discount. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 10-31-11 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-30-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts

While I'm still not a fan, in my experience, DD's CS has gotten much better with the new owners.

Is the 25% off the entire order, or just 1 item?
Old 10-30-11, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
While I'm still not a fan, in my experience, DD's CS has gotten much better with the new owners.
I never had a problem with them until the new owners. First time I have ever had to file a complaint with paypal to get something resolved from anyone.
Old 10-30-11, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts

I agree that I would NEVER use Pay Pal with DD, as they are all too often out of stock. With straight card payment, if they're out of something, the preauth just drops off. With pay Pal, that can really be a pain.

Their website's database desperately needs an upgrade.
Old 10-31-11, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
They've done 25% off sales before, 25% off Deep Discount's prices aren't that big of a sale
Depends on what you're looking at - a lot (probably most) of their discounted prices are going to be equal to, or higher than Amazon, but a few others are going to be significantly lower. Last time I picked up a few sets that were more than $15 cheaper than they were on Amazon or pretty much any other site, along with some individual DVDs that were $5 or $6 lower than Amazon prices. Mind you, the titles I picked up were pretty obscure (though ones that had been on my wishlist for a long time) - DD almost certainly isn't going to be the best place to pick up most mainstream titles from the major studios, and they're not even going to be the best place to pick up a lot of "arthouse" releases. It's not the all-purpose sale that it used to be, but it can still be a good chance to pick up some random wish list titles from labels that rarely ever go on sale.

This time around, assuming they go on sale and don't have a price increase, I'll probably be getting some Olive Films titles (specifically their two Fassbinder releases), some German films from First Run Features (specifically the second volume of "Anti-Nazi Classics"), and some other random titles like the "Chop Shop/Man Push Cart" combo, "12," and "Winter Soldier" - each of which should be several dollars cheaper than any other site.

So there are still good deals to be found, depending on what you're interested in (and I am well aware that most people wouldn't be interested in most of the titles that I listed.)

On the other hand, I'll never defend their customer service, which does suck - the only good thing I can say about it is that their shipping has significantly improved over the last few months. Heaven help anyone who needs to get an order changed or cancelled or who has some sort of problem with their payment.

I'll still order from them on occasion, but it really is sad to see how much DD has deteriorated in the last few years.
Old 10-31-11, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered a few books from them 3 months ago and had an interesting experience.

There were items that appeared to be available, but actually weren't. So every time I tried to add them to my Wish List or Cart it failed. There were some that I could add to my WL, but not my Cart. I eventually ordered three books that made it into my cart. One shipped soon after (though in a soft envelope with bubble wrap on only one side so it didn't make the trip too well). As for the other two items, they charged and then removed the charges from my debit card many times over the next several weeks, before eventually declaring that they were unable to get those two books. Meanwhile, both books are listed as available and in stock right now.
Old 10-31-11, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Is this going to be 25% off of everything, or another one of those bullshit sales where the discount is only available on a limited selection of random items?
Old 10-31-11, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Z-B
I can't seem to put anything into my wishlist. I've had this problem for months now. I contacted DD about it, and they said it's something about my cookies. Can anyone else add items to their wishlist?
When I'm using Firefox it keeps throwing me back to the account log in page whenever I try to add anything to my wishlist.

It works fine with IE, though.
Old 10-31-11, 09:29 AM
Cool New Member

Their list price on new single dvds is $30, so if they they basing it off that it will be a joke.
Old 10-31-11, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
When I'm using Firefox it keeps throwing me back to the account log in page whenever I try to add anything to my wishlist.It works fine with IE, though.
I solved the Firefox problem by allowing it to remember history.

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Is the 25% off the entire order, or just 1 item?
It's 25% off the entire order, however, it does appear that only select items will be eligible. I hope Criterions will be included as that will bring the prices down to near 50% off, very close to B & N sale. Since DD ships with DHL now, using the post office for the final leg, I've had no problem with the new owners and items have arrived promptly. The Nuggets disc was missing from its sleeve but that appears to be a manufacturing problem from Rhino and not DD's fault. I'm basically looking for some music this time around, such as the Beach Boys Smile Sessions and the surround version of Discipline by King Crimson.
Old 10-31-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, just a few years ago, this thread would have like a dozen pages already. No one cares anymore.
Old 10-31-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
I ordered a few books from them 3 months ago and had an interesting experience.

There were items that appeared to be available, but actually weren't. So every time I tried to add them to my Wish List or Cart it failed. There were some that I could add to my WL, but not my Cart. I eventually ordered three books that made it into my cart. One shipped soon after (though in a soft envelope with bubble wrap on only one side so it didn't make the trip too well). As for the other two items, they charged and then removed the charges from my debit card many times over the next several weeks, before eventually declaring that they were unable to get those two books. Meanwhile, both books are listed as available and in stock right now.
I had the exact same experience, except they never canceled the order -- it's still listed as open -- and the books are now out of print and unavailable everywhere except used.
Old 10-31-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

I've usually done pretty well ordering Rifftrax discs during these sales. I hope to get the latest batch pretty cheap with this.
Old 10-31-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone know if the Kino sale ends before or after the 25% off sale starts? I can't find an end date.
Old 10-31-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Anyone know if the Kino sale ends before or after the 25% off sale starts? I can't find an end date.
I couldn't either but I seriously doubt they are going to allow 25% off the already 50% off Kino's.
Old 10-31-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 438 Likes on 247 Posts

These sales hit the skids when they started discounting only certain select titles.

I may find a few items to order, but I'm not expecting much.
Old 10-31-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
I couldn't either but I seriously doubt they are going to allow 25% off the already 50% off Kino's.
You're right - I forgot that the 25% sale is now on selected titles. I haven't really bought anything from these sales since it was on all or nearly all titles years ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.