Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It's more like Puss In Cement Boots. Ha! Get it?: Weekend Box Office 10/28 - 10/30

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It's more like Puss In Cement Boots. Ha! Get it?: Weekend Box Office 10/28 - 10/30

Old 10-29-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nikki Finke's Meatball Machine
FRIDAY PM 2ND UPDATE: Sources are giving me these North American box office numbers tonight. DreamWorks Animation’s 3D leader Puss In Boots distributed by Paramount is poised to break the Halloween weekend record. The Shrek spinoff’s opening is in line with 2011′s other non-summer animated 3D hits like Rio ($39M, also 3D) and Rango ($39M but only 2D). Audiences gave it an ‘A-’ CinemaScore. But one rival studio exec snarked to me tonight, “What will DWA think about an opening in the $30sM? Dunno, but it could be more like Puss In Cement Boots.”

Fox’s sci-fi thriller In Time with Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried is soft considering the wide release. It’s clear now that Justin, while talented on SNL, is no movie star. Audiences gave the film a ‘B-’ CinemaScore. FilmDistrict’s The Rum Diary with Johnny Depp also is performing ultralight as expected. Didn’t he make this movie before and wasn’t it called Fear And Loathing? (“Yes, with the same hungover result. Ouch,” one rival studio exec reminded me.) Audiences gave it only a “C’ CinemaScore. Sony Pictures’ Shakespeare backstory Anonymous earned $350K in 265 runs for an estimated $1.1M weekend opening. That’s an unremarkable per-screen average of $4,200 even though audiences gave it an ‘A-’ CinemaScore. The studio was right not topull it from wide release. Full analysis coming.
Here’s the Top 5 for now:

1. Puss In Boots 3D (Dreamworks Animation/Paramount) NEW [3,952 Theaters]
Friday $9.8M, Estimated Weekend $37M

2. Paranormal Activity 3 (Paramount) Week 2 [3,329 Theaters]
Friday $7.3M (-72%), Estimated Weekend $20M, Estimated Cume $80M

That’s a whopping drop from a whopping Friday last weekend. Expect a giant Monday.

3) In Time (Fox) NEW [3,001 Theaters]
Friday $4.5M, Estimated Weekend $13M

4) Footloose (Paramount) Week 3 [3,224 Theaters]
Friday $2M, Estimated Weekend $6M, Estimated Cume $39M

It’s not unanimous, but the majority of studios tonight have Footloose beating The Rum Diary.

5) The Rum Diary (FilmDistrict) NEW [2,272 Theaters] [2,272 Theaters]
Friday $1.7M, Estimated Weekend $5M

6. Real Steel (DreamWorks/Disney) Week 4 [2,914 Theaters]
Friday $1.6M, Estimated Weekend $5.7M, Estimated Cume $74.8M

7. Three Musketeers 3D (Summit) Week 2 [3,017 Theaters]
Friday $1.1M (-61%), Estimated Weekend $3.7M, Estimated Cume $15M

8. Ides Of March (Sony) Week 4 [1,572 Theaters]
Friday $925K, Estimated Weekend $3M, Estimated Cume $33.8M

9. Moneyball (Sony) Week 6 [1,631 Theaters]
Friday $750K, Estimated Weekend $2.5M, Estimated Cume $67.5M

10. Courageous (Sony) Week 5 [1,134 Theaters]
Friday $550K, Estimated Weekend $1.8M, Estimated Cume $27.6M
Puss In Boots' box office estimate seems low. DreamWorks Animation films usually tend to have low Fridays and massive Saturdays (38-50% more).
Old 10-29-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: It's more like Puss In Cement Boots. Ha! Get it?: Weekend Box Office 10/28 - 10/3

Why is Rum Diary bombing?
Old 10-29-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: It's more like Puss In Cement Boots. Ha! Get it?: Weekend Box Office 10/28 - 10/3

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Why is Rum Diary bombing?
Johnny Depp + Hunter S. Thompson + little-to-none marketing = bomb. Were people expecting a massive hit?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas only made $11 million domestically almost fifteen years ago with that same formula in place. Did we somehow forget about that?
Old 10-29-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Johnny Depp hasn't become a bigger draw since Fear and Loathing?
Old 10-29-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Since the release of the original Pirates of the Caribbean...

Secret Window: $48 million domestic
Finding Neverland: $52 million domestic
The Libertine: $5 million domestic
Sweeney Todd: $52 million domestic
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: $8 million domestic
The Tourist: $68 million domestic

While some were modest successes and others were straight up financial disasters, Depp isn't known to be box office dynamite every time he releases a movie. With the exception of Secret Window, each of the films I mentioned did far superior overseas. I'd argue that Depp's films usually preform better overseas than in America.
Old 10-29-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thread title made me laugh.
Old 10-29-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
yes, but the source material isn't.
Old 10-29-11, 03:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Puss In Boots' box office estimate seems low. DreamWorks Animation films usually tend to have low Fridays and massive Saturdays (38-50% more).
'How To Train Your Dragon's opening weekend wasn't a hit either - word of mouth though helped considerably.
Old 10-29-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the release of the original Pirates of the Caribbean...

Secret Window: $48 million domestic
Finding Neverland: $52 million domestic
The Libertine: $5 million domestic
Sweeney Todd: $52 million domestic
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: $8 million domestic
The Tourist: $68 million domestic

While some were modest successes and others were straight up financial disasters, Depp isn't known to be box office dynamite every time he releases a movie. With the exception of Secret Window, each of the films I mentioned did far superior overseas. I'd argue that Depp's films usually preform better overseas than in America.
That's pretty selective in the movies that you chose to list, leaving out quite a few of his movies that earned more......like three other pirates, public enemies, and alice in wonderland.
Old 10-29-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andy434343
That's pretty selective in the movies that you chose to list, leaving out quite a few of his movies that earned more......like three other pirates, public enemies, and alice in wonderland.
Do you even go here?

The point was to show that Depp has had flops in-between the Pirates/Verbinski/Burton collaborations.
Old 10-29-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having Puss in Boots open on Halloween weekend seems like a weird choice. Boxoffice.com is estimating $36 mil for the weekend. But it's a kids flick, so it could hold steady next weekend and end up with $150 mil.
Old 10-29-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you even go here?

The point was to show that Depp has had flops in-between the Pirates/Verbinski/Burton collaborations.
I have been known to go here, there, and sometimes even everywhere.
Old 10-29-11, 11:32 PM
Banned

PUSS was a very good movie and worth the 3d ticket.
Old 10-30-11, 03:21 AM

New estimate for Puss in Boots is between $32 and $35 million. - The snow of the East coast is being blamed for the lower estimates.

fitprod
Old 10-30-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is Box Office Mojo got Hacked this weekend?
Old 10-30-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

"is got Hacked"?
Old 10-30-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe BOM is currently undergoing maintenance as they mentioned on Wednesday.

Puss in Boots only made it to $34 million this weekend. I don't see the actual numbers being more than that total. Ouch. I'm sure it'll do gangbusters overseas a la Shrek Forever After, but it'll barely pass $100 million here in the states unless WOM picks up. Katzenberg must be throwing a fit right now, but seriously, who made the decision to release it on a weekend where all children are busy?

Paranormal Activity 3 will outgross the prior entry sometime before the end of this week (Thursday). It's got a shot of crossing the $100 million mark (which PA2 failed to do), but I wonder if it can sustain and blow pass the first entry at $108 million domestic.
Old 10-30-11, 11:35 PM

Puss in Boots only made it to $34 million this weekend. I don't see the actual numbers being more than that total. Ouch. I'm sure it'll do gangbusters overseas a la Shrek Forever After, but it'll barely pass $100 million here in the states unless WOM picks up. Katzenberg must be throwing a fit right now, but seriously, who made the decision to release it on a weekend where all children are busy?
See... but in Katzenburg's mind, Puss In Boots' failure isn't because they've run a franchise into the ground. It the continued release of inferior 3D product, by other studios, that has tarnished the reputation of 3D and is unfairly affecting his releases.

I wish them luck if they can't get a distribution deal with a studio in 2013, and try to do this all themselves. All you need to do is look at a company like the Wiensteins and see how that's gone.

fitprod
Old 10-31-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Spielberg's 'Tintin' off to a solid start at European box office

"The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn" doesn't open in U.S. theaters for nearly two months, but the Steven Spielberg-directed film already has the makings of a hit overseas.

This weekend, the animated 3-D film opened in 19 foreign markets and collected $55.8 million, according to an estimate from international distributors Sony Pictures and Paramount Pictures.

The studios decided to launch the Peter Jackson-produced film so far ahead of its U.S. debut on Dec. 21 in part to boost ticket sales in Europe, where the 82-year-old Belgian comic book series is a beloved part of the cultural history. If the film is successful abroad, the studios are hopeful that it will fare well domestically, where the cartoon character is foreign to most moviegoers.

This weekend, the film about a young reporter seeking hidden treasure was No. 1 in 17 of the 19 markets in which it opened. The movie had the strongest debut in France, where it grossed $21.5 million, marking the second biggest debut of the year behind the eighth and final "Harry Potter" film. It also did solid business in Britain, Spain and "Tintin's" native Belgium, where the movie grossed $2.1 million.

Despite its respectable start abroad, the movie still has a long way to go before it can be considered a success. The picture cost its financial backers between $150 million and $175 million after tax credits, according to people close to the production. The studios will also spend more than $100 million to market and release the movie worldwide, and about 30% of "Tintin" revenue will go directly to Spielberg and Jackson.
Old 10-31-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Johnny Depp + Hunter S. Thompson + little-to-none marketing = bomb. Were people expecting a massive hit?

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas only made $11 million domestically almost fifteen years ago with that same formula in place. Did we somehow forget about that?
I agree with you about everything (I wasn't expecting a hit) except for the marketing. Even though I tend to fast-forward past commercials, I felt like I couldn't escape ads for The Rum Diary. Maybe what really hurt was that the ads didn't make the film look very good.
Old 10-31-11, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Planet of the Apes now with a $453 million worldwide total.
Old 10-31-11, 06:12 PM
Banned

Of course it's going down. They should have made a movie about one of the Shrek characters that we actually wanted to see a movie about. Like Gingy, Pinocchio, or Donkey. Or, I don't know, Shrek. Something to make up for the horror that was Shrek The Third.
Old 10-31-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess what the difference between Rum Diary & Fear And Loathing is Depp didn't have Pirates fame back then.
Old 10-31-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
I guess what the difference between Rum Diary & Fear And Loathing is Depp didn't have Pirates fame back then.
Yea. Pirates is really the only thing that I think "BIG" for Depp.

The Rum Diary looks like Fear and Loathing, minus the LSD. Fear and Loathing was wacked out. Lots of crazy cool costumes and sets. It was paranoid and intense. Rum looks a lot more laid back.

I remember first hearing about Rum Diary back in 2001/2002. I was psyched to see it back then. Maybe it just took too long to come around.
Old 10-31-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Depp is flat and uninteresting whenever he's playing "normal" roles. A bore. He connects on quirky shit because that's where his talents lie and he can really make bank. Otherwise, anyone else with a scintilla of charisma wipes him off the screen. He was easily the LEAST interesting character in Donnie Brasco, for example.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.