Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The X Factor -- Top 17 Perform -- 10/25/11 (FOX)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-25-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

2 1/2 Hours tonight. The Top 17 Perform.

Profiles of the Top 17:

http://foxallaccess.blogs.fox.com/20...7-contestants/

5 will get cut
Old 10-25-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The X Factor -- Top 17 Perform -- 10/25/11 (FOX)

Uh, does it seem like Nicole's "mentoring" is completely pointless? She picks terrible songs, and has actually managed to make really good singers seem average. And does every single one of her singers really need to wear glitter clothes? Wow, really wish Simon had gotten the over 30's.
Old 10-25-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Shilex
Uh, does it seem like Nicole's "mentoring" is completely pointless? She picks terrible songs, and has actually managed to make really good singers seem average. And does every single one of her singers really need to wear glitter clothes? Wow, really wish Simon had gotten the over 30's.
Nicole is so fucking annoying on the live shows right out of the gate. Mainly for her holier than thou defensive comments to Simon. Who the fuck is she to challenge his comments and critiques? Honey, you're a B list singer (at best). And you need to thank your lucky stars you made it as far as you have. Simon knows the business. And it's because of people like him that you were even signed in the first place.
Old 10-25-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This show is way over-produced. Hurts my eyes and ears. Wish they would keep it simple with some of these contestants.
Old 10-25-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Shilex
This show is way over-produced. Hurts my eyes and ears. Wish they would keep it simple with some of these contestants.
Agree. The production is obnoxious.
Old 10-25-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2.5hrs? Wow.

#1, My recording will have missed it (cut off).
#2, Fox intentionally extended primetime for a non-sports event. Rare.

I hope the singers bring it. Strangely, I'm least worried about Rachel Crow. She has been consistent. I wasn't a big fan of Melanie Amaro doing that Michael Jackson song at the judges houses. She sang it well, but it was a poor song choice. Looking forward to a good show.
Old 10-25-11, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

they needed to cut Nicole and the host. Really that was horrible. Nicole didn't know what was going on and the host had to cut her off a lot. LA picked all rap/hip hop singers (Chris was painfully out of tune). How is it that Paula was the best mentor. PAULA! I know I am going to hate the rapper and Rachel. UGH.
This show needs a jedward type act to bring the entertainment but they cut them all.
Old 10-26-11, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't get the appeal of Drew. Blah.

Hope Lakota Rayne sticks around, though.

Overall, the remaining talent is so scatter-shot and uninteresting.
Old 10-26-11, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I enjoyed the 2 1/2 hours even though the show is way over-produced and too glitzy for these contestants 1st live performance.

The Girls:

Melanie Amaro was hands down the best performance of the night IMO. Yeah she sang a played out ballad that we've heard millions of times, but I think she brought alot of passion and heart to the song. She was vocally in tune and I thought she looked great.

Drew has a Sarah McLachlan/Alanis Morrissette type style to her singing and I think there is definitely a market for her.

Rachel Crow's performance was kind of corny.

Simone Battle: Glad the arrogant self promoting bitch is gone.

Tiah: Really? the Goth remix of Sweet Dreams for her 1st live performance.

Simon made a wise choice picking Melanie over Simone and Tiah.

The Groups:

Stereo Hogzz and Lakoda Rayne definitely deserved to go through.

Lakoda Rayne has 4 hotties who can sing and there is always a market for a black R&B group. One of the girls from Lakoda Rayne has amazing eyes.

Intensity IMO will not be a factor at all unless Simon wants to sell records to Disney Channel/Nickelodeon audience.

Over 30's:

Josh was my favorite tonight. I think he has the potential to be a Joe Cocker type singer.

I like LeRoy Bell and thought he sounded good tonight. I don't get the criticism that he's nervous.

Stacy was alright. She has to really bring it next week after seeing what Melanie did.

at Dexter with his Britney Spears/Katy Perry medley. Frankly I'm worried for his well being after this show. He sounded in interviews that this was it for him.

The Boys:

My least favorite tonight. Out of everyone, I thought Marcus was the best, but I hated the song choice. The Halloween/R&B remix of Do you really want to hurt me?

And fuck Astro Boy. It's 2011 and we don't need another Kriss/Kross or Another Bad Creation. How long did those groups last?

And I don't see why some of you have a problem with Steve Jones. I think he's fine as the host.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-26-11 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-26-11, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be out. I ended up fast forwarding through 3/4ths of most of the songs. I loved Simon on AI, but he is annoying as hell on this.
Old 10-26-11, 08:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one thing I like about Astro is that he does new lyrics for the verses, so it's more like he's sampling the originals rather than doing a straight up cover. That said, he still feels more like a novelty act here, and considering Chris Rene and Stereo Hogzz have both been able to incorporate rap into their acts but still offer singing as well, Astro as a gimmick seems a bit one dimensional. Still, all of L.A.'s acts were a bit underwhelming tonight.

Not sure I agree with Intensity going in over Brewer Boys. The problem is they overloaded that group and now there's no personality to the act. They could swap out all the kids next week and I probably wouldn't notice. Plus some were just downright terrible in their solos. Brewer Boys weren't perfect, but at least they made an impact.

Lakoda Rayne could be a dark horse. They're not perfect yet, but their harmonies are nice and their solos are the best of all the groups.

Big production and an uptempo number didn't play to Rachel's strengths and her performance came off like a cheesy pageant number to me. But I understand the problem... she's technically best as a little diva, but since Simon wants Melanie to fill that 'big ballad diva' role he's trying to find a different niche for Rachel.

I love Drew. She may not have the best pure voice in the competition, but her performances have a strange beauty to them. I am a bit worried that they will play out the "turn an uptempo pop song into a ballad" card with her... I don't want them to get gimmicky with it like Blake Lewis' 'remixes' or Siobhan Magnus' scream on Idol.
Old 10-26-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRG
Not sure I agree with Intensity going in over Brewer Boys. The problem is they overloaded that group and now there's no personality to the act. They could swap out all the kids next week and I probably wouldn't notice. Plus some were just downright terrible in their solos. Brewer Boys weren't perfect, but at least they made an impact.
Yeah, the blonde girl that soloed towards the beginning was really bad.
Old 10-26-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Melanie's vocals sounded sharp when she was trying to sing louder, but her long notes are solid.

Drew sounds like she's singing at 33 1/3 rpm when the record wants to be played at 45 rpm.

The songs were mostly terrible song choices, perhaps instead of handing out a $5 million prize, they should use some of that money to buy some song rights.
Old 10-26-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
The songs were mostly terrible song choices, perhaps instead of handing out a $5 million prize, they should use some of that money to buy some song rights.
Read (or listen, I suppose) to the fine print. It's NOT $5 million dollars. It's a record contract that's "potentially worth up to $5 million". In other words, it's pretty much the same thing American Idol winners get.
Old 10-26-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The amount is immaterial to my point: they chimped out on ponying up for good songs for these contestants, and practically led them to the slaughter with such crap songs.
Old 10-26-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Tiah: Really? the Goth remix of Sweet Dreams for her 1st live performance.

Simon made a wise choice picking Melanie over Simone and Tiah.
When she started acting, getting away from the creature dancers I cringed and knew that she was a goner it was horrible.