Old 10-23-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Homeland -- "Semper 1" -- 10/23/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Political powers make big plans to promote Brody as a national hero, but erratic behavior on his part threatens his media image. Elsewhere, a desperate Carrie searches for evidence to link Brody with Abu Nazir, while Saul enjoins her to follow the terrorist financier's money trail.

Episode 4 of 12

Promo:

<param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1218702488001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1218702488001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 10-24-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Homeland -- "Semper 1" -- 10/23/11

Another great episode. They're doing a great job slowly building up the tension, and introducing us to people who may or may not be a bad guy. Could the middle eastern professors wholesome white wife really be a terrorist? Or are they intelligence agents for someplace else? Surprised the cops didn't show up after Brody fired the gun multiple times to kill the deer.
Old 10-24-11, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Yup, this show is firing on all cylinders. 4 for 4.

The official introduction to the Middle Eastern Professor and his White Wife was very interesting. I mean we're still not 100% clear of their objective yet. I did like how the wife received the phone call and frantically put the flag up as a signal to warn him while Carrie was tailing him.

Even though their objective isn't 100% clear, all indications are it's probably sinister if they have someone on the outside warning them.

There was also some good character development with Brody and Jessica.

David promising Danny a "Promotion" to spy on Carrie was an interesting little nugget.
Old 10-24-11, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

That terrorist living in the 'burbs wasn't Star Trek Deep Space Nine's Doctor Bashir, was it?

Sort of looked like him (if you put a beard and glasses on him), but I didn't see Alexander Siddig listed in the credits.
Old 10-24-11, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That terrorist living in the 'burbs wasn't Star Trek Deep Space Nine's Doctor Bashir, was it?

Sort of looked like him (if you put a beard and glasses on him), but I didn't see Alexander Siddig listed in the credits.
Nah, he's not from DS9, like someone from another thread said he was on Sleeper Cell and I've also seen him on NCIS and 24. Don't know his name off hand though.
Old 10-24-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Four eps in and as far as I can tell he hasn't had psychiatric help since coming back?
Wats the protocol on that? Wouldn't he at least have some sort of debriefing or unbriefing.

Also I think since the early promos this was the first episode that insinuates that there is someone else besides Brody who might be a bad guy or at least not what we expect them to be.

How could anyone know there was a tail on the Prof?

Ok he did mention a debrief when Danes bumped into him, so he did have one of those apparently.

Last edited by whotony; 10-24-11 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
Wouldn't he at least have some sort of debriefing or unbriefing.

Ok he did mention a debrief when Danes bumped into him, so he did have one of those apparently.
The debrief was shown in the pilot. If I recall correctly, Carrie harassed Saul to circumvent David and allow her to attend so she could tentatively provoke Brody about Abu Nazir.

How could anyone know there was a tail on the Prof?
I don't believe it was someone from the outside. I suspect it's someone from within the agency. Their introduction was just so telegraphed, that for the time being, I refuse to take it at face value that the Prof. and his Wife have a nefarious agenda. We'll see.
Old 10-24-11, 04:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Solid ep

Four eps in and as far as I can tell he hasn't had psychiatric help since coming back?
Wats the protocol on that? Wouldn't he at least have some sort of debriefing or unbriefing.
The VP's aide asked David about Brodie's psych eval at their meeting in David's office so he has had one.
Old 10-24-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

was that Newcastle in the garage fridge?

and Max is right, the wife is hot
Old 10-24-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by meritocracy
Their introduction was just so telegraphed, that for the time being, I refuse to take it at face value that the Prof. and his Wife have a nefarious agenda. We'll see.
yet they have a pre-planned signal for not coming home?
Old 10-25-11, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
yet they have a pre-planned signal for not coming home?
I didn't say it wasn't suspicious, just that their intro was so obvious, that I'm a bit skeptical. Perhaps I've just viewed Spooks or Sleeper Cell one too many times in that I'm expecting a twist of sorts.

The phone call to the wife obviously implies the couple is undercover in some way, but who knows, it could be that they're part of another government sanctioned agency, or would be terrorists. I doubt we'll be waiting long before their motives are revealed.
Old 10-25-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Exactly.
No way this guy wouldn't be 'very encouraged' to get counseling. I would think it would be mandatory.
I asked this question last week and someone suggested that he may no longer be a Marine so it may not be mandatory.
I think that theory has been debunked since we've been seeing him in uniform over and over representing the Marines.
So, yeah, why hasn't he been going to therapy?
I also think there is some sort of 'phasing back in' requirement. I don't think he would have returned to his home full time .. I think they would have phased him in. I read about this years ago in an old Vietnam book I read about returning POW's.. not sure if this is still protocol and I also realize that in the world of television it would be a time issue ..

As for the debriefing, didn't Carrie do that? Isn't that where he knows her from?
Old 10-25-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
and Max is right, the wife is hot
The fact that she's getting naked a lot definitely helps I was even a little surprised that she wasn't when Brody was having his little flashback in the garage.

Anyway I am really liking this show a lot...probably my favorite new show at the moment.
Old 10-26-11, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

man, lewis is so good, I can't figure it out... maybe he is, maybe he is not.....
Old 10-26-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Showtime has renewed this show for season 2. Wonder if the Brody story will go past season 1.

Showtime Renews ‘Homeland’ For Season 2
Old 10-26-11, 11:38 AM

The psych eval was in Ramstein Germany. It would have been perfunctory at best and would have been included with his medical exam. Once he returned to the States he should have been encouraged to attend long term counseling as there would be obvious psychological scars. The fact that he is fitting in so well should be a tell tale sign that something is wrong. A person doesn't undergo the type of imprisonment and torture that he supposedly did and still be able to function at a high level when they are back home. If nothing else he would have PTSD that would need to be addressed.
Old 10-26-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by windom
Showtime has renewed this show for season 2.
Excellent news and congratulations to all involved! This is easily the best new series currently airing.
Old 05-23-13, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I know I'm late to the party but I just started watching Homeland. Totally hooked...I watched episodes 1-4 yesterday and I'm sure I'll finish up the season during the long weekend. Without spoiling anything, does season 2 deliver as much as 1 is so far?
Old 05-23-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMO, Season 2 isn't as good, but it's still good. Season 1 was, for me, some of the most compelling TV I've experienced.
Old 05-23-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I know I'm late to the party but I just started watching Homeland. Totally hooked...I watched episodes 1-4 yesterday and I'm sure I'll finish up the season during the long weekend. Without spoiling anything, does season 2 deliver as much as 1 is so far?
Although highly entertaining and well worth watching, Season 2 is a step down from Season 1. Season 1 is far more plausible. Season 2 starts showing shades of 24 in terms of ridiculous events.

Speaking of Season 2, any word on a BD release?
Old 05-23-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

That's good to know. I'll lower my expectations for season 2.