Old 10-21-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Supernatural -- "Shut Up, Dr. Phil" -- 10/21/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-22

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) meet Maggie Stark (guest star Charisma Carpenter), a witch who has unleashed her wrath on a small town, resulting in numerous deaths. Sam and Dean track down her husband, Donald (guest star James Marsters), to see if he can help. Donald tells the brothers that Maggie is mad at him for having an affair and is taking it out on the townspeople. Phil Sgriccia directed the episode written by Brad Buckner & Eugenie Ross-Leming (#705).

Read more: Listings - SUPERNATURAL on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1bTL7bTWv

Episode 5 of 23
Old 10-21-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Supernatural -- "Shut Up, Dr. Phil" -- 10/21/11

Looking forward to the reunion.
Old 10-22-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Leviathans have been complete duds as villains so far in the season. This show appears to be treading water until the ratings dip enough for cancellation.
Old 10-22-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Somewhat enjoyed the Cordelia-Spike reunion in this episode. Heh.
Old 10-23-11, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Spike's chin is the weirdest looking thing on tv
Old 10-25-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Leviathans have been complete duds as villains so far in the season. This show appears to be treading water until the ratings dip enough for cancellation.
Maybe that's their plan.

Jesus Christ! When did this show turn to complete shit?!?!?! Was it always doomed since the Season 5 story-arc closure? I wonder if Ben Edlund or Robert Singer would have been better suited as showrunners?

Other than "The French Mistake", I can't even remember Season 6 and I consider myself a hardcore SPN fan.

Even the damn threads here are sparse.
Old 10-25-11, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The new showrunner is clearly in over her head, the show has been declining in quality ever since Kripke left. My guess is that the move was mandated from above by the CW, who wanted to give her some experience being a showrunner on a show they really don't care about to prepare her for a new one at some point. It's quite odd a woman was put in charge of a show aimed at young men.
Old 10-25-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this show is aimed at young men. I know when it started out I thought of it as Buffy with eye candy for the ladies instead of strong female protagonists.
Old 10-25-11, 08:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I still enjoy it quite a bit...
Old 10-25-11, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really enjoyed the episode, and not just because of the reunion...

but that helped.
Old 10-25-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still enjoy the show a lot. I know that Kripke wanted it to end after five seasons, so I'm not surprised by it being different now. I feel like the story arcs are weaker, but I still enjoy the adventures week after week.
Old 10-26-11, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new showrunner is clearly in over her head, the show has been declining in quality ever since Kripke left. My guess is that the move was mandated from above by the CW, who wanted to give her some experience being a showrunner on a show they really don't care about to prepare her for a new one at some point. It's quite odd a woman was put in charge of a show aimed at young men.
If that's true, that would be pretty shitty on the CW's part.

Originally Posted by wmansir
I don't know if this show is aimed at young men. I know when it started out I thought of it as Buffy with eye candy for the ladies instead of strong female protagonists.

When the show first aired, I was excited that I found something to fill the void left by Angel and I was hooked. With the Impala, hard rock, guns, gore and girls.... I always felt that dudes where the target audience.
Old 10-26-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought this episode was one of the better ones in a while, with the scary/funny dynamic finally being back to where it usually is in the great episodes of Supernatural.
Old 10-26-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

So if Dean's to hardcore about stopping Supernatural threats, even when they're mostly benign (like he did a couple weeks ago), why did he so easily give up on these two witches?
Old 10-26-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
So if Dean's to hardcore about stopping Supernatural threats, even when they're mostly benign (like he did a couple weeks ago), why did he so easily give up on these two witches?
He ganked Amy Pond for killing, and these two certainly caused more than one death.

The lack of continuity in motivation is something i am not liking. I will always watch this show, but i would prefer to enjoy what i watch, rather than continue to tune in out of nostalgic loyalty.

I think there are the components of a really good season, but it isn't being put together in a way that gels or stands out. It is a mish mash of great ideas that don't pay off or go anywhere, like someone brainstormed some good stuff but did not know how to write it or present it.
Old 10-26-11, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
I went to verify this but according to Super-wiki ,the Boys ( or any hunter shown) have never killed a witch.
http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=Witches

They have killed each other or been killed by demons but Sam and Dean have never killed one.

Last edited by draven31; 10-26-11 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-26-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by draven31
I went to verify this but according to Super-wiki ,the Boys ( or any hunter shown) have never killed a witch.
http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=Witches

They have killer each other or been killed by demons but Sam and Dean have never killed one.
They gunned down that School Teacher Witch in the "Great Pumpkin" episode from S4. Although, he gets posessed later by Samhain.
Old 10-26-11, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
They gunned down that School Teacher Witch in the "Great Pumpkin" episode from S4. Although, he gets posessed later by Samhain.
"Sam and Dean interrupt Don sacrificing Tracy in his basement. Sam shoots him before he can hurt Tracy -- who reveals herself as a witch, and Don's sister. She incapacitates the boys and completes the spell. Sam smears Don's blood on his and Dean's face; they play dead while Samhain rises, possessing Don's corpse and killing Tracy."

He did shoot Don but did it to save Tracy, which is what Tracy wanted. She needed Dons body as a Vessel for Samhain.
Old 10-26-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

This show reminds me of Buffy in that regard. Woman takes over as showrunner, and the fans are mostly unhappy with the result. I hated that woman who took over on Buffy. The magic=crack plot was horrendous.

However, I did enjoy this episode.
Old 10-27-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
This show reminds me of Buffy in that regard. Woman takes over as showrunner, and the fans are mostly unhappy with the result. I hated that woman who took over on Buffy. The magic=crack plot was horrendous.
Marti Noxon is the name you are looking for. If you google her name, one of the google suggestions is "marti noxon ruined buffy." Though in retrospect, season 6 of Buffy ended up being a lot better than season 7.
Old 10-27-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

You guys who are complaining should know that Sera Gamble has been with the show since it 1st premiered on The WB. She's worked her way up from Story Editor to Showrunner.

It's not like they hired someone off the street to sabotage the show.
Old 10-28-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
You guys who are complaining should know that Sera Gamble has been with the show since it 1st premiered on The WB. She's worked her way up from Story Editor to Showrunner.

It's not like they hired someone off the street to sabotage the show.
Marti Noxon was with Buffy since season 2 so the reference to her is justified.

Having a woman run or write for a "guy's show" doesn't really mean anything, though. In this case it's a flimsy coincidence. The real issue is a subordinate becoming the one in charge and the show suffers without the creator at the forefront. Gender doesn't factor in.
Old 10-28-11, 04:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Marti Noxon was with Buffy since season 2 so the reference to her is justified.

Having a woman run or write for a "guy's show" doesn't really mean anything, though. In this case it's a flimsy coincidence. The real issue is a subordinate becoming the one in charge and the show suffers without the creator at the forefront. Gender doesn't factor in.
well, I did find it odd when Sam turned to Dean and asked if he ever had that "not so fresh" feeling.
Old 10-31-11, 08:28 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought it was pretty good except for a couple of things. First, while I liked the concept of the "reunion" and it was fun to see those actors together again, holy hell can Charisma Carpenter NOT act. I thought she was terrible. Marsters was pretty good though.

And I'm REAAAAAAAAAAALY tired of the Amy subtext. They have dragged that on WAY too long. Are we getting a "Are you hiding something? No I'm not. Okay fine." moment every fucking week now? Lame.

Interesting info that they've never been able to kill a witch. And that a witch's spell can affect the Leviathans. Wonder if that's foreshadowing a way they will fight them down the road...
Old 11-06-11, 04:15 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

man James Marsters aged a lot, hardly recognised him. Charisma still looks hot

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.