Old 10-18-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Parenthood -- "Tales from the Luncheonette" -- 10/18/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Kristina (Monica Potter) exhausts herself by diving back into supermom mode while Adam (Peter Krause) and Crosby (Dax Shepard) prepare their new music studio, in hopes of impressing their first potential client, Cee Lo Green. Meanwhile, Zeek (Craig T. Nelson) plants doubts in Julia (Erika Christensen) and Joel's (Sam Jaeger) adoption plan and Drew (Miles Heizer) takes advice from Amber (Mae Whitman) to move forward with Amy (Skyler Day). Meanwhile, Mark Cyr (guest-star Jason Ritter) continues to feel uneasy with Seth's (guest-star John Corbett) involvement in Sarah's (Lauren Graham) life. Also starring Savannah Paige Rae, Bonnie Bedelia and Sarah Ramos.

Read more: Listings - PARENTHOOD on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1bBOalBc1

Episode 6 of 18
Old 10-18-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Parenthood -- "Tales from the Luncheonette" -- 10/18/11

i was as happy for drew to kiss his chippee, as i would have been for my own son. I felt that zing that you feel when you kiss someone for the first time when they were in the kitchen, and even i was catching those hints she was dropping with the olde rub my neck routine.

Also love how everyone talks over everyone else, like in real life and what feels like natural spontaneous conversations between all the Bravermans.

i think this show really is getting better, as others have mentioned. is there even anything else like it on TV anymore?
Old 10-18-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i think this show really is getting better, as others have mentioned. is there even anything else like it on TV anymore?
No. IMO, it's always been good. Not every minute of every episode, or even every episode, but enough.
Old 10-18-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I agree as well, sure it had its problems but who the hell am I to nitpick? It's a great show.

Loved seeing Joel speak up -> I always thought he needed a bigger part on the show as well because I think he's a great actor. I also dig how they are making Crosby's character more mature.
Old 10-19-11, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How does Cee Lo Green have a career? The guy is a talentless hack who often sings off-key and is only famous because he named a song "Fuck You". Which he quickly changed to "Forget You" when he realized he could make more money by sanitizing the song once the shock value was over. Christ, the way he butchered Janis Joplin last night made me think I was watching a bad American Idle audition.

Other than that, great show.
Old 10-20-11, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not going to "dis" Cee Lo Green because he has fans for a reason. He released "Crazy" as a member of Gnarls Barkley before "Forget You". He was already famous well before F*You. Still, I'm late to the party. I only found out about him recently (maybe because of The Voice). After listening to Crazy for the first time, I was amazed it was considered Song of The Year material the year it was out. To me, he's actually an example of "X Factor" in that his singing voice isn't the greatest, but there's something entertaining about him (IMO of course). I also saw a VH-1 special he did... probably "Soundstage" and it was also good. He has a way of doing songs I think he couldn't possibly do. Like Don'tCha. (Yes, he actually did that on stage.)
Old 10-20-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
No. IMO, it's always been good. Not every minute of every episode, or even every episode, but enough.
I think there has been a huge jump in quality this season. Lots of tender moments that were missing in previous seasons. The dialog is more succinct with fewer pointless ramblings. Even the camera work has shifted to a more verite style. It is almost a different show.
Old 10-20-11, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rival11
Loved seeing Joel speak up -> I always thought he needed a bigger part on the show as well because I think he's a great actor.
Agreed. Joel doesn't speak up often, but when he does, he speaks the truth whether you'll like it or not. I thought that was a great moment, and I was even on Zeke's side earlier in the ep...just a little bit. If someone like that was in my life, I'd have a hard time after so many years and f-ups believing he could really change.
Old 10-20-11, 06:01 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

And even if he doesn't, which is altogether likely, Joel is still right.

Expected more out of Hattie in terms of being understanding and helpful with her mother. Maybe she's out of sorts since breaking up with Alex but the Hattie who ran for student council and was concerned with helping at a homeless shelter would have been much more understanding the first 48 hours of Nora being home. It was an interesting storytelling choice, one I don't necessarily agree with, though.
Old 10-20-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Flave
How does Cee Lo Green have a career?
Long before his solo career he was Producer,songwriter and member of 2 really good bands Gnarls Barkley and The Goodie Mob from a very young age.Both were able to have success commercially and critically without conforming there work to fit a particular genre niche to appeal to a mass audience .
Old 10-21-11, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogmatica
And even if he doesn't, which is altogether likely, Joel is still right.

Expected more out of Hattie in terms of being understanding and helpful with her mother. Maybe she's out of sorts since breaking up with Alex but the Hattie who ran for student council and was concerned with helping at a homeless shelter would have been much more understanding the first 48 hours of Nora being home. It was an interesting storytelling choice, one I don't necessarily agree with, though.
Agreed. But let's face it, teenagers are crazy so who knows how she would take this huge change to their lives.