Charmed: The Complete Series $85.99 - Amazon DotD 10/13/11

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 10-13-11, 05:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$85.99

With all eight seasons on 48 discs, "Charmed" explores the relationship between three sisters, who after discovering that they possess magical powers, are reluctantly thrown into a world of supernatural evils. The Halliwell sisters must keep their secret identity as “the Charmed Ones” from the world, with only themselves to rely upon, as they protect the innocent and fight demons.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

Last edited by junglalien; 10-13-11 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-13-11, 07:46 AM

Re: Charmed: The Complete Series $85.99 - Amazon DotD 10/13/11

I've wanted this for a long time and now it goes on sale when I don't have the money...or do I? Bah!
Old 10-13-11, 08:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better be careful on this one. The picture above (and the high price listed on the graph) are for the Limited Deluxe Edition (which has the discs on spindles, I believe).

However, the Gold Box deal on the Amazon page (and the link clicked above) show the regular version, which has had horrendous scratching problems with the discs being crammed into pockets. That's in addition to the worse problem with glue from the packaging being stuck to the discs. From reading recent customer reviews, the problem hasn't been corrected. I had two sets and both had the problems mentioned in the reviews . Some discs had hardened glue that was nearly impossible to remove...it looked like somebody had dribbled Elmer's glue on them and let it dry...and that's not hyperbole.

The reviews do say that Paramount will swap out any damaged discs, but I'm not sure I want to go through the headache of doing that. If it was one or two discs, it might be different, but this was a pervasive problem.

Edit: Of course, you might want to risk it if you don't already own the sets & don't have access to cheap copies (the prices vary between $12-$16 right now on Amazon, with an average cost of $14.75). The set price comes out to about $10.50 per set plus the nice packaging.

Last edited by creekdipper; 10-14-11 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-13-11, 11:56 AM
Suspended

I took a chance on it, for my wife. If its crap, it will just go right back.
Old 10-13-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I want it, especially the nice limited edition (how limited is it really lol), but I still don't want to spend about 90 bucks on it. Hoping for 60 bucks somewhere, sometime for this.
Old 10-14-11, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Better be careful on this one. The picture above (and the high price listed on the graph) are for the Limited Deluxe Edition (which has the discs on spindles, I believe).

However, the Gold Box deal on the Amazon page (and the link clicked above) show the regular version, which has had horrendous scratching problems with the discs being crammed into pockets. That's in addition to the worse problem with glue from the packaging being stuck to the discs. From reading recent customer reviews, the problem hasn't been corrected. I had two sets and both had the problems mentioned in the reviews . Some discs had hardened glue that was nearly impossible to remove...it looked like somebody had dribbled Elmer's glue on them and let it dry...and that's not hyperbole.

The reviews do say that Paramount will swap out any damaged discs, but I'm not sure I want to go through the headache of doing that. If it was one or two discs, it might be different, but this was a pervasive problem.

Edit: Of course, you might want to risk it if you don't already own the sets & don't have access to cheap copies (the prices vary between $12.99-$16.99 right now on Amazon, with an average cost of $14.99). The set price comes out to about $10.50 per set plus the nice packaging.
Thanks! I think u just saved me a lot of aggravation - I was gonna order this for the wife's Xmas present... No way I can trust it after your warning and looking at the reviews in amazon.
Old 10-14-11, 04:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoN8282
Thanks! I think u just saved me a lot of aggravation - I was gonna order this for the wife's Xmas present... No way I can trust it after your warning and looking at the reviews in amazon.
I hate that the bad reviews spoiled a nice surprise for your wife but agree that it's not worth the risk. The gamblin' side of me actually thought about ordering one & trying again...but the sensible side won out. We MIGHT have gotten a decent copy (at least one without glue/residue caked onto the discs) where all the discs played fine...but it's likely that we would have gotten another problematic one. I swore I'd never buy another one (unless I saw a used one I could inspect first) and, although I know Amazon will accept returns & do exchanges, the results would most likely be the same.

The only reason I even considered trying again was the info. about Paramount exchanging discs...but I don't have time for that. I have cheap copies of the individual sets & thought about swapping out discs, but the pages of the book are very poorly-designed (pockets are WAY too tight). Even without the glue problem, sliding the discs out (no matter how carefully) scratches even mint-condition discs. You could always put the discs in paper sleeves or something, but the book/packaging (while very nice) is not worth $85 if it won't store the discs.

I know a guy who found a used copy for sale for pocket change (maybe the owner had the same problem with the discs). If I run across a deal like that, I'll pick up the collection just for the neat packaging.

There are plenty of other reasonably-priced, nice sets that your wife will like. If you were still thinking about getting Charmed, you'd probably be better off ordering the individual sets. At current Amazon prices, the ind. sets cost around $32 more than the Gold Box deal, but IMHO, it would be worth it.

Last edited by creekdipper; 10-14-11 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-18-11, 08:53 PM
Cool New Member

Just so you guys know, everyone who is complaining about the Glue/Scratches on the Disks is over reacting. However, they fail to mention that the disks play perfectly fine when the glue is taken off, which is what matters.

I bought this set years ago, opened it and there was glue on the disks. It was a bit hard to take some of the disks out of the pockets because of the glue, and they had VERY LIGHT scratches.
I was able to just roll off most of the glue with my finger and gently cleaned off the rest with an eyeglass cleaning cloth. The scratches were so light that they were hardly noticeable.

Every Single disk plays perfectly. No problems with "scratching" what so ever during the 2+ years that I've constantly taken out and put the disks back into the pockets.

It was a slight inconvenience, but having this incredible set was definitely worth it.

In my opinion this is visually, the best complete series set ever released for a TV Series. It's so unique to the show itself and the artwork of the Book Of Shadows pages is beautiful.

It just annoys me that all of those negative reviews are discouraging people from buying this.
Old 01-22-12, 01:38 AM

I know some of the reviews arent great for the Limited Deluxe Edition, but I think I will take my chances on it cause I have never seen anything that cool for limited edition tv episodes. So I will let everyone know what I think as soon as I can.
Old 01-22-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, this actually hit $71.49 at one point recently? Damn...