Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Last Man Standing (moving to FOX) S: Tim Allen -- Series Thread

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-10-11

Series Synopsis"

You can't get manlier than Mike Baxter. He loves to have adventures while he's traveling for work and, of course, he drives a pick-up truck. But Mike is about to find out that it's not a man's world anymore. While he might be king of the hill at work at an iconic outdoor sporting goods store, he's the odd man out in a home dominated by his wife and three daughters. Today it's a woman's world, and this man's man is on a mission to get men back to their rightful place in society, on "Last Man Standing," premiering with a one-hour event, TUESDAY, OCTOBER 11 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Read more: Listings - LAST MAN STANDING on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1aW76htq2
Synopsis for 1 Hour Premiere tonight:

Spoiler:
In the first part of the premiere, "Pilot," Mike plays Cupid for Mandy by setting her up on a blind-date with Kyle, one of his employees who he thinks would be the perfect guy for her. But Mike's set-up gets off track when Kyle accidentally meets Kristin. Meanwhile at work, Mike's long-time boss and friend, Ed, announces that he's grounding Mike from their catalogue's international photo shoots and putting him in charge of the company's webpage. In this new role, Mike discovers that the Internet might actually provide him just the outlet he needs, a platform that gives him a voice to appeal to those who agree that manliness is under assault, and a pulpit for his opinions about feeling like the last real man in a woman's world.

In the second part, "Last Baby Proofing Standing," Mike is outnumbered by his wife and daughters when they all agree that baby proofing the house is a good idea. But soon Vanessa has second thoughts when she finds herself home by herself babysitting Boyd and can't release the toilet seat's complicated childproof latch. Meanwhile, Mike thinks it's time for Mandy to earn her own money and gets her a job delivering pizzas -- without first consulting Vanessa.

Read more: Listings - LAST MAN STANDING on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1aW6BvXGt

Is anyone going to try this tonight? It's gotten terrible reviews from the couple I have read. I don't know anyone who is really a fan of Tim Allen. Were any of you here Home Improvement fans? I kind of watched it during it's run, but I've never really been a fan of his.

I figure 1 thread should be enough for this one. I know most of you who do try it are going to hate it.
Old 10-11-11, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Last Man Standing -- New Comedy Series (Tim Allen returns to ABC) -- Debuts 10/11

15 mins in, basically Home Improvement part two. I can't see this one lasting very long at all.
Old 10-11-11, 08:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Last Man Standing -- New Comedy Series (Tim Allen returns to ABC) -- Debuts 10/11

most of the shows on now especially the comedies and reality junk are terrible in my opinion, at least on broadcast television but i found this show amusing
Old 10-11-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts

I liked it too.
Old 10-12-11, 01:30 AM

I liked it too. I do like Tim Allen. I also really identified with his character. Surrounded by women and really can't stand "girly" men. Hope it sticks around.
Old 10-12-11, 01:43 AM

Very much Home Improvement Pt2 and thats what made it so enjoyable. I do fear for its future though.
Old 10-12-11, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

This show is a relic. It's a 90s sitcom in just about every facet, only with a few modern references thrown in. That's not to say it's bad. But it really doesn't fit in with the modern idea of comedy shows.

So it's going to get a lot of bad reviews simply from the fact that it's not Modern Family, or modern in any sense. Many people just can't get past three cameras and a laugh track/studio audience.

But it's far better than that crap How To Be A Gentleman that CBS dumped, and even better than Whitney that NBC gave a full season to. Those shows, which also use the 3 camera/laugh track/audience format are bad regardless of format.

Much like Hot In Cleveland, this show knows exactly what it is and isn't trying to be anything else. And so far, they've done a pretty good job of it. I went in with low expectations and this show exceeded them. Here's hoping they can keep it up.

Now, we just have to wait a week to find out just how bad Man Up is.
Old 10-12-11, 11:30 AM

I've been re-watching Home Improvement, this time with my kids (was a teenager during its run), and appreciate it more now. If this is HI part 2, that would be fine with me. I hadn't heard about this, but will watch it next week.
Old 10-12-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

13M viewers and 3.5 in the demos. That's a very good start.

I may check it out on Hulu now.
Old 10-12-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was and still am a huge Home Improvement fan. I absolutely loved the show when it was originally on (along with double digit millions of others) and I love it now.

I was flip-flopping on watching this show. It interested me and then I saw the previews and they totally turned me off. However, I decided to give it a try. Nothing groundbreaking and if I miss an episode or two I won't be too hurt, but I will probably come back to this show. It was pretty good.
Old 10-18-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Don't forget. New episode of Home Improvement tonight

Synopsis:

"Grandparents Day"

Spoiler:
When Vanessa forces a reluctant Mike to attend Grandparents Day at their grandson Boyd's preschool, Mike manages to insult the daycare teacher and Boyd gets kicked out of school. Boyd's mom, Kristin, tells Mike that he now has to look after him, so Mike takes the two-year-old to work with him. Meanwhile, after an elderly looking grandmother at the Grandparents Day event thinks she and Vanessa are the same age, Vanessa goes out of her way to look more youthful -- hoping no one sees her buying clothes from a boutique her 17-year-old daughter, Mandy, shops at -- on "Last Man Standing," TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18 (8:00-8:30 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Read more: Listings - LAST MAN STANDING on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1bBWt6BD0
Old 10-18-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

This is the blurriest/fuzziest hd tv show on tv in years.is this even filmed in hd?
Old 10-19-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought it had its moments. Didn't make me laugh out loud, but a few chuckles were had. I'll be tuning in again this week.
Old 12-07-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else still in? I found only one other thread.

I just watched the Christmas episode and tout it was pretty decent.
I like Tim Allen and Nancy Tavis still looks great but I have noticed thAt they are sexying up the middle daughter a bunch.
An increase in cleavage and this ep she was in Fishnet stockings and a nice little elf outfit.

Also Natalie Distler was in this, former daughter on Rescue Me.
Old 12-07-11, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I DVR'd it from the beginning thinking I'd never watch it. A few weeks ago, I caught up and will continue to watch it. There's nothing special to it, but I've found it enjoyable.
Old 12-07-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Anyone else still in? I found only one other thread.

I just watched the Christmas episode and tout it was pretty decent.
I like Tim Allen and Nancy Tavis still looks great but I have noticed thAt they are sexying up the middle daughter a bunch.
An increase in cleavage and this ep she was in Fishnet stockings and a nice little elf outfit.

Also Natalie Distler was in this, former daughter on Rescue Me.
If it makes you feel better, the actress playing the middle daughter is 25. Now to make it weird, the actress playiong the eldest daughter is 21.
Old 12-07-11, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
If it makes you feel better, the actress playing the middle daughter is 25. Now to make it weird, the actress playiong the eldest daughter is 21.
How did you get that it made me feel bad or that I needed to feel better or just simply an expression of speech?
Old 12-07-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How did you get that it made me feel bad or that I needed to feel better or just simply an expression of speech?
I was just teasing. Lighten up.

ANd I very much appreciated the elf costume.
Old 12-07-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I was just teasing. Lighten up.

ANd I very much appreciated the elf costume.

Old 12-07-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well played.
Old 12-07-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Old school" laugh track sitcoms are a turnoff for me these days, but I gave it a chance and I like it. Nostalgic.
Old 11-02-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched the season premiere tonight.

I guess about 3 years have passed since the grandson looks about four. Oh, it also seems that the eldest daughter had major plastic surgery.

I miss the prior actress as the eldest daughter. After one episode, I wasn't big on the changes.

Nick Jonas also must have had plastic surgery since the grandson's father is also different in the form of a Masterson.
Old 11-03-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although it wasn't a great show, I did enjoy it when it was on. I wouldn't make a point of watching but would put it on if I was there.

I gave up about 10 minutes in. It sucked. I thought the new daughter was obnoxious. Will not be watching again
Old 11-03-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I really liked last season. It is Home Improvement 2 and I'm completely ok with that. I watch because of Tim Allen (he's the man) but I'm disappointed in the changes made. The oldest daughter wasn't a great actress but she was really cute and I'm not feeling the new one. I wonder if they dropped her or if she left voluntarily. Either way, I'll get used to it, it's still enjoyable.

Also not a fan of them trying to make the kid a bigger part of the show. I'm assuming that's why they went with an older kid. I'm also not a fan of the kids dad being around now. The show worked the way it was last season.

The only problem I have with this being Home Improvement 2 is that there is no Heidi 2.

Last edited by Goat3001; 11-03-12 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-03-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The oldest daughter wasn't a great actress but she was really cute and I'm not feeling the new one. I wonder if they dropped her or if she left voluntarily. Either way, I'll get used to it, it's still enjoyable.

Also not a fan of them trying to make the kid a bigger part of the show. I'm assuming that's why they went with an older kid. I'm also not a fan of the kids dad being around now. The show worked the way it was last season.

The only problem I have with this being Home Improvement 2 is that there is no Heidi 2.
Other than all that crap it's an OK show

I read they dropped the actress due to "creative differences". Which means she was dating a producers son and dumped him, or was just a wild pain in the ass to work with.

I haven't been this perpelexed since the 60's when I turned on Bewitched and Dick York had been replaced.

All those reasons listed above are exactly why I dislike the show now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.