Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sanctuary -- The 4th Season Thread -- Premieres 10/07/11 (SyFy)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-10-07

Synopsis for "Tempus"

Spoiler:
Magnus goes to 1898 London to try to stop Adam Worth from saving his daughter, which would alter the current time line in the Season 4 premiere.

13 episode 4th season

I'm guessing that very few watch this in this forum. But, I figure this deserves at least 1 thread.
Old 10-07-11, 08:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Sanctuary -- The 4th Season Thread -- Premieres 10/07/11 (SyFy)

I watch!
Old 10-07-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Woohoo! Watching live right now. Loved Helen kicking Druitt's ass.
Old 10-09-11, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Women don't seem to last on this show. I like the girl who was there the first season. I stopped watching about the time of the giant tsunami-causing spider.
Old 10-10-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

so is Magnus immortal?
it's one thing for her to be 130 or so and look to be in her 40s
but now she's going to be 250
Old 10-10-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
so is Magnus immortal?
it's one thing for her to be 130 or so and look to be in her 40s
but now she's going to be 250
IIRC, the vampire blood gave her super-longevity, not immortality.
Old 10-11-11, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm guessing that very few watch this in this forum. But, I figure this deserves at least 1 thread.
I don't think it's a great show but I like Amanda (The Druitt smackdown was great! but that bulky leather coat was not) and it's the type of show I enjoy so I'll watch it until it's done. It does have it's moments and I was happy to see it return. The next episode I'm not so sure about. I don't know if it's because I find the idea of forced "camps" so abhorrent or what but that part of the storyline needs to move on and hopefully will after this next episode.
Old 10-15-11, 08:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Emilie Ullerup (Ashley) was in the latest episode of Supernatural and she looked absolutely stunning. Hotter than she ever looked when she was on Sanctuary. I wish they would bring her back.
Old 10-18-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Is Kate gone? I like this show but lost 8 of the 10 episodes last season when my DVR crapped out.

I'm a little behind and don't have time to catch up so I am just jumping back in this season.
Old 10-18-11, 04:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Kate is still around.
Old 10-18-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Emilie Ullerup (Ashley) was in the latest episode of Supernatural and she looked absolutely stunning. Hotter than she ever looked when she was on Sanctuary. I wish they would bring her back.
I kinda lost interest once she was gone for good. Kate sucks.
Old 10-19-11, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Kate is still around.
Okay, cool. I got confused when she wasn't in the promo pic and then someone said that the girls don't last long.
Old 11-07-11, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Okay, cool. I got confused when she wasn't in the promo pic and then someone said that the girls don't last long.
So did they write Kate off? I didn't see her in the opening credits this past Friday (I usually don't pay attention to the credits).
Old 11-07-11, 06:58 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

they keep mentioning her doing work elsewhere... but it is interesting that she's not in the opening photo
Old 11-07-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

they keep mentioning her doing work elsewhere... but it is interesting that she's not in the opening photo
I thought the opening photo changes based on who is actually in the episode. When Druid is in an episode he's usually in the picture (with Biggie out because it's the same actor.) When neither Biggie or Druid are in the espidoe neither on in the credit. I think it's the same for the other actors too.
Old 11-07-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.

I got the feeling they wrote her out, at least as a regular, when they said the character was going to hollow earth
Old 11-15-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

hey, I just withdrew a large amount of cash, I think I'll stop and help some random dude in the middle of a revolution

Will's not exactly the brightest bulb is he?
Old 11-26-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the few shows to have a new episode on Friday and it is a musical one.

Although it probably was the best time to burn that one off.
Old 11-26-11, 01:09 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't stand musical episodes. Fuck Buffy for starting the trend.
Old 11-26-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

oh god this sucks. I hate to do it but I might just have to skip this one
the bollywood shit a few years ago was the type of mistake I was hoping they wouldn't repeat
Old 11-27-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Minority report!

I liked the musical episode, especially the song between Will and his girlfriend. Maybe it was due to excess tryptophan from munching on leftover turkey all day.

Plus, it's always fun to see an alien (or abnormal) burst out of someone's abdomen.
Old 05-21-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://tvline.com/2012/05/21/syfy-sa...-four-seasons/

Probably very few care about this news, but SyFy pulled the plug today. Not surprised at all. The ratings for season 4 were down and there was zero buzz about a season 5 pickup. Amanda Tapping said recently that even if SyFy ordered another season right now, it wouldn't be ready for the Fall. Probably because of the extensive green screen special effects.

Well, at least Alphas, Haven, Warehouse 13, Being Human and for the time being Eureka are still on.
Old 05-21-12, 05:13 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

this actually makes me sad.

I enjoyed the show a lot, total guilty pleasure.
Old 05-22-12, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The show was once good, but this was a mercy killing.
Old 05-22-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

When I saw this a few days ago, I was hoping it might get renewed for another season.

http://www.cinemaspy.com/television-...tapping-13790/

Sanctuary isn’t dead. That is what star and co-executive producer Amanda Tapping told me when I sat down with her last week as she was preparing to direct an episode of the upcoming SPACE series Primeval: New World.

“I don’t think that Sanctuary is dead. If you look really closely you can see the chest rising and falling and I’m standing by with the paddles,” she said, smiling.

Fans have been wondering what has become of the Canadian sci-fi series since the fourth season ended last Christmas. CinemaSpy recently ran a poll asking our readers which of a number of science fiction series they would like to see return for another season: As of today Sanctuary has received over 100,000 votes.

Neither of the North American broadcasters—SPACE in Canada and Syfy in the U.S.—has said whether Sanctuary has been renewed. Neither, thankfully, has either said what fans don’t want to hear: That Sanctuary has been cancelled. That is because it hasn’t, officially. Instead, it seems like everyone involved is currently in TV limbo.

“It’s very complicated and I have just stopped trying to say, ‘We’re waiting to see.’ because that seems woefully unfair,” the Stargate alumnus told me. “The true situation is really multifaceted.”

Sanctuary started life as a web series five years ago this month and is different from most major science fiction and fantasy series because it is largely independently produced. That makes coordinating financing and international distribution deals a complicated process.

“Syfy was taken over by Comcast, which bought NBC, which owns Syfy, and they were not able to make a decision about whether or not they were going to pick us up for the fall season,” said Tapping. “They actually have till July to give us an answer, which takes us off the fall slate automatically. At the same time our financers—we’re a privately financed show [by] the Beedie Group, who have been fantastic and incredible supporters – they own the show, they have made it happen—got nervous: ‘Well what are we going to do without a pick up from Syfy? We can sell to the rest of the world but we need this pick up’.”

Those delays in tying up the deals needed to get the show on the air for a fifth season inevitably led to complications at the production end, Tapping explained.

“Without the pick up our studio came up for lease and [our financers] said, ‘We’re not going to pay for any more studio space. Why would we?’ I absolutely agree with them. The rent doubled and [the landlord] wanted three months in advance and a year-long lease. And thank God they didn’t go for it because we’d still be sitting here and they’d be spending all this money.”

When news came out that the studio lease had ended and some props had gone out for possible auction, some Sanctuary fans naturally feared the worst. Those who were also keen on another Vancouver-shot series that Syfy didn’t officially announce the cancellation of, Stargate Universe, might have remembered the poignant sell-off of props that signaled an end to their hopes of a return for that show. As Tapping pointed out, though, in the case of Sanctuary similar developments don’t inevitably signal the end.

“Anyone who has seen the end of Season 4 [knows] it’s not a big deal that we took down our standing sets,” she said. “Kinda makes sense. It’s okay. And all the assets have been put in storage, some of them have been sold and some of them are being held.”

Even so, getting the show back on the road means keeping the attention of certain people and getting them to talk to other people. That hasn’t been easy, Tapping explained.

“Basically the financers have kind of drifted off and lost a bit of interest and the network hasn’t had to make a decision because contractually they don’t have to. So they haven’t had to answer to their masters and our financers haven’t had to answer to the bank. We really tried to get them to connect and they did for a little while but because Syfy couldn’t make a decision our financers couldn’t make a decision. Nobody’s willing to make an announcement, which I find really fascinating. Syfy won’t announce and SPACE won’t announce.”

SPACE has been showing Sanctuary since its second season (the first aired on The Movie Network and Movie Central in Canada) and has always publically supported the show. The Bell Media-owned channel has earned the respect of Canada’s genre fans and people in the TV industry with its programming slate, which includes many imported series but also several homegrown sci-fi, fantasy and horror shows. The latter include Todd and the Book of Pure Evil, the upcoming Primeval spin-off and, of course, Sanctuary.

“SPACE in Canada was phenomenally supportive,” Tapping said. “They [said], ‘Come back, we want you back.’ So they were the first people on board to bring us back for a fifth season.”

Currently no-one seems particularly optimistic about getting another full season of Sanctuary. Yet, as I pointed out at the beginning of this piece, Tapping and her colleagues on the show haven’t written it off, either.

Dcotors Helen Magnus (Tapping; left) and Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne) share a relaxed moment in Sanctuary.
“I think at this point maybe a movie, maybe a miniseries,” Tapping said. “We’ve pitched a bunch of ideas. We’ll see what happens. I don’t think it’s dead but I think at this stage everyone very rightly, including Martin and Damian and myself and Robin [Dunne], Chris Heyerdahl, Ryan Robbins, everyone went off and got other jobs because you have to. They have mortgages to pay, families to support and careers to continue.”

Sanctuary‘s family, then, has faced the fate of many others and been split up by necessity. But this is a close knit group and its members would be happy to reunite under Sanctuary’s roof again given the chance, Tapping assured me.

“Everyone has been very patient for the last four years waiting for Sanctuary to get picked up again and this year it was like, ‘It’s going to take a little while longer kids’,” Tapping said. “But the fact that we’re scattered to the seven seas doesn’t mean that we’re not going to get back together. And we’re all still very much in touch, which is great.”

There’s still hope then for what has become affectionately known as ‘the little show that could.’ And five years since the series debuted online, that’s reason enough to say Happy Fifth Birthday, Sanctuary.

I enjoyed watching the series.

Thanks Comcast for ruining the Syfy network.
Now we'll be seeing more reality shows on Syfy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.