Old 10-07-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Supernatural -- "The Girl Next Door" -- 10/07/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-22

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sam hunts a demon from his childhood who is killing thugs and eating their brains.

Episode 3 of 23
Old 10-07-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: Supernatural -- "The Girl Next Door" -- 10/07/11

Okay episode. A little dull. Nice to see Kaylee again. And I did laugh a bit at the Amy Pond reference.

Found it hard to believe that Sam trusted Dean to let her go.
Old 10-08-11, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither the flashback or present time story seemed fleshed out. A waste of Jewel Staite, younger Amy actually had better scenes. It would have been nice for her to have a scene displaying how difficult it was for her to kill for the first time. The final scene with Dean would have been a much better payoff if they had bought some sympathy for the present day character by not only showing how desperate she was but also that it was a moral crisis for her to take a life. The facts of her situation and her history with Sam suggested it, but they needed a scene to make it personal and set the hook in the audience. I'm sure Jewel could have done that.

I kept waiting for the twist in this episode and it never came. Dean cleaning up certainly wasn't a surprise.

PS. I will say I like the new mostly honest and open thing between Sam and Dean, even though Sam kind of got screwed for being honest about Amy.
Old 10-08-11, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dean just looked like a hypocrite for not knifing the kid too. And a moron for likely creating an even worse monster. And a jerk for betraying Sam's trust.
Old 10-08-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

It was decent. Definitely a change of pace. Good directing job by Ackels as well.
Old 10-08-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelWill
Dean just looked like a hypocrite for not knifing the kid too. And a moron for likely creating an even worse monster. And a jerk for betraying Sam's trust.
I did think it was dumb not to kill the kid. But from a reality standpoint i dont think people will be cool with the idea of "a kid" getting ganked on TV.

would have been a nice twist if bobby came by and offed the kid. Kinda everyone cleaning up someone else's mess, and showing the progressive rationalization that takes place among hunters at different stages of life and time in, being hunters.
Old 10-08-11, 03:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I loved this episode. Jewel Staite, calling herself Amy Pond? I'm sold! Although I must admit I kept expecting her to talk about starship engines.

I think Dean going after her on his own and the run-in with the son was a seriously dark and intense moment that could have serious repercussions for the characters in the long run.
Old 10-08-11, 08:35 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't like this episode, was dull
Old 10-08-11, 08:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't think the episode was bad but all the previews I saw made it seem like a completely different episode.
Old 10-09-11, 04:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Bobby cleans up well
Old 10-09-11, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't like this episode after loving the first two of the season. Leviathons dont seem as bad as regular demons.
Old 10-09-11, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Boring as all fuck. And can we please soon move on from the 'Sam is nut's and Dean doesn't trust him' crap?
Old 10-09-11, 10:42 AM

Loved seeing Jewel but yeah she was wasted. It could have been anyone. Very cold of Dean to kill the mother and leave the kid and it made it feel even more wrong. The leviathan thing needs to hurry up or just offer some better tidbits of their mythology. So far it's the obligatory big bad for the season but it hasn't been very compelling. Wasn't the greatest but I still love the show even if it's not a stellar episode. Little things like Amy Pond, Lars Ulrich calling, Dean having a broken leg finally that wasn't magically fixed in 5 minutes make it seem like everyone still is having fun writing and producing the show. Although his leg was broken right? What's up with I'll have the cast off in 5 days other than a wink to the audience that next episode it will be like it never happened? Didn't catch that Jensen directed. Good job as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-09-11, 11:27 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Dean didn't kill the kid because the kid hadn't killed anyone yet, while the mother did. Obviously without his mothers support, he is probably more likely to feed and kill, but hey...
Old 10-09-11, 12:23 PM

Dean used a half measure that likely created a worse situation that it solved. That's not necessarily out of character, but it was totally unnecessary, and a real dick move towards Sam. On the one hand I'm ready to just forget this episode ever happened, on the other if Dean's move doesn't come back and bite him the whole episode really was just pointless.
Old 10-10-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Of the Jensen directed episodes, I liked "Weekend at Bobby's" better. My excitement for this episode pretty much went to shit even with seeing Jewel (whom I hopefully get to meet at comicon) and the kid that normally plays young sam. It just seemed pointless overall.
Old 10-10-11, 03:31 PM

A very forgettable episode. Too bad because of a 'Kaylee' appearance
Old 10-10-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Disappointing episode. I liked the escape from the hospital and even the idea that Sam encounters a girl from when he was young, but the remainder of the episode didn't develop in an interesting way.
Old 10-10-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

The episode would have been better if Dean had at least attempted to kill the son. That smacked of network interference preventing the lead character from killing a child. The stuff with Sam was decent.
Old 10-13-11, 08:38 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, didn't care for Dean going and cleaning up "Sam's mess". If you're going to have him do it, at least have him go jerkass all the way and kill the kid too. Otherwise, what he did was basically what Sam did in 98: let a potential monster go. Seemed very hypocritical after his "you'll kill again in a year or 10 years" speech.

And agree with Geddlo, the previews made this seem like it was going to be all about the Winchesters in Sioux Falls hospital. Nice fake out.

It was nice to see Kaylee again, even though her character was basically pointless.
Old 10-13-11, 03:46 PM

Haven't watched as of yet but wanted to bring up a couple of things.

#1. Dean has never killed a kid. No matter who or what the child might become. Hell the kiddie antichrist from a couple of seasons ago was on the angels hit list and he refused to let them do it. The shapshifter baby from last season, same thing. Why would this be any different? Just because he offed the mom? Sorry Dean may be a lot of things but he doesn't go out and kill kids. Yes it may bite him later but for now it is what it is.

#2. I think Dean was concerned about Sam and the fact that once again he's willing to do what a cute demon wanted him to do. Ruby almost destroyed them both. He's no going to let that happen again even if it pisses Sam off at the time.

just my 2 cents.
Old 10-14-11, 07:59 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm not saying Dean should have killed the kid. I don't even think he should have killed the mom. But in the context of the episode, he made all kinds of noise about leaving a monster behind that was a killer by nature. And that Sam should have finished the job. Then he goes and kills the mom and leaves behind a monster that was a killer by nature. So it seemed very hypocritical to me. But maybe that's what they were going for.