TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fox executives: "season 24 of the Simpsons will probably be its last"

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fox executives: "season 24 of the Simpsons will probably be its last"

from the huffington post
Whether the stars take a salary cut or not, there won't be many more new adventures in the town of Springfield.

Fox executives told The Wrap on Wednesday that even if the voice actors behind the iconic animated show "The Simpsons" take a massive pay cut, the show is no longer profitable as a first-run series and will end after next season. If the actors don't agree to a cut, this season, the show's 23rd, will be its final batch of new episodes.

The Daily Beast reported Monday that the actors were facing a 45% cut from their $440,000 per episode salary, which would take them down from $8 million to just over $4 million; they countered with an offer of a 30% cut but with a small slice of the show's backend, which includes merchandise, syndication and DVD sales. The executive told The Wrap that any agreement would only be for one more season.

Producers for the show have already taken a pay cut to keep the show going. Fox released a statement about the show's tenuous financial situation on Monday.

23 seasons in, The Simpsons is as creatively vibrant as ever and beloved by millions around the world. We believe this brilliant series can and should continue, but we cannot produce future seasons under its current financial model. We are hopeful that we can reach an agreement with the voice cast that allows The Simpsons to go on entertaining audiences with original episodes for many years to come.
The stars re-upped their contracts in 2008, receiving significant raises; it was reported that they went from $360,000 to $500,000 an episode.

I think deep down, Fox will cave and let the show do a 25th season and then be done and over with
Old 10-06-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Fox executives: "season 24 of the Simpsons will probably be its last"

I'm surprised there's no talk of recasting the voices this time. Hopefully, they've realized what a bad idea that would be. Although, didn't they threaten that with Futurama recently?

This would suck because my kids have just gotten into The Simpsons in the past year and we all watch new episodes together now.
Old 10-06-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think 25 seasons would be a good point to stop. I love the show, and I still like to watch new episodes, but they're generally hit-or-miss. The glory days are behind it, and we've got an endless amount of good episodes that will air in syndication until doomsday.

I do, however, think Fox are a bunch of greedy pigs. The money they make on the show is outrageous, and the voice actors are 50% of that.
Old 10-06-11, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I do, however, think Fox are a bunch of greedy pigs. The money they make on the show is outrageous, and the voice actors are 50% of that.
So is Fox just bluffing about the financial situation to get the voice actors to agree to a pay cut?
Old 10-06-11, 11:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the money they make on an individual new episodes of The Simpsons may not be very much anymore, but the money they make on The Simpsons as an entity must still be massive.
Old 10-07-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

All the articles on this subject are hogwash, mostly fed directly to the press from the opposing camps on both sides. This is all about Fox taking a hardline on the show's voice actors to cut costs and increase profits. The show and brand is a virtual license to print money. I expect to see many more new seasons of Simpsons. These "leaks" to the press by Fox executives are negotiating hardball, nothing more.
Old 10-07-11, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah the first run episodes probably aren't the most profitable but who does Fox think they are kidding? The amount this show makes in syndication, DVD sales, toys, and whatever else has to be more than enough to line their pockets with money. I will agree that the show ending is probably for the best however it will be sad seeing it go. Hopefully they can go out with a grand finale as this show deserves it and is one of the shows that built Fox as a television network.
Old 10-07-11, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with KillerCannibal; 25 Seasons sounds like a good stopping point, although I doubt FOX will ever be able to let this show go
Old 10-07-11, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The Simpsons is actually worth more cancelled. Syndication rights are tied to local TV only-as long as it is on FOX. When it ends its broadcast run, that deal ends and the studio can do whatever it wants with the show... online, a Simpsons cable channel, etc.
Old 10-07-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I recently read it'll be worth $750m once its cancelled.
Old 10-07-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
The Simpsons is actually worth more cancelled. Syndication rights are tied to local TV only-as long as it is on FOX. When it ends its broadcast run, that deal ends and the studio can do whatever it wants with the show... online, a Simpsons cable channel, etc.
I've always kinda wondered why The Simpsons has never been on like FX or Adult Swim. i guess its been around so long that syndicating shows to basic cable wasn't the norm
Old 10-07-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"The Simpsons is as creatively vibrant as ever"

Old 10-07-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I think Fox must really want to start the Simpsons cable channel. That other thread from about a week ago said the Simpsons channel would only happen once the show is done making new episodes.
Old 10-07-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

It'll be a sad day when this show is canceled. It's been on TV since I was 9. It's a shell of it's former self, but it still has moments of greatness.
Old 10-07-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they need to keep it going until they have as many seasons in HD as they have in SD. How long would that be?
Old 10-07-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I think the money they make on an individual new episodes of The Simpsons may not be very much anymore, but the money they make on The Simpsons as an entity must still be massive.
Aren't they just arguing over the salaries to produce the new episodes though? I assume the voice actors already get a piece of the DVD sales + syndication money and that that isn't in question.
Old 10-07-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Aren't they just arguing over the salaries to produce the new episodes though? I assume the voice actors already get a piece of the DVD sales + syndication money and that that isn't in question.
Nope, the actors get NO backdoor cut from DVD sales or anything like that. They get the money for doing an episode and that's it. They agreed to take a pay cut IF they start getting the backdoor money, which Fox will never give them.
Old 10-07-11, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Nope, the actors get NO backdoor cut from DVD sales or anything like that. They get the money for doing an episode and that's it. They agreed to take a pay cut IF they start getting the backdoor money, which Fox will never give them.
maybe not DVDs, but they definitely get syndication money. it's the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 10-07-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
maybe not DVDs, but they definitely get syndication money. it's the gift that keeps on giving.
You know, I believe in their contracts, they give up that right so they can get that huge salary they got. Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe I read that.
Old 10-07-11, 07:27 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Their Facebook page is now stating they just renewed through Season 25
Old 10-07-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Deadline.com confirms it. http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/fox-...-more-seasons/

Now will viewership rise since there may only be 3 seasons left? I'm sure Bob's Burgers or Allen Gregory will be able to anchor the night for 20 years or so.
Old 10-07-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They should just go for broke and run it for 30 seasons.
Old 10-07-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk God

i'll get to watch this into my mid 30's.
Old 10-07-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
They do not get syndication money.
Old 10-07-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by awil1026
They do not get syndication money.
i was pretty sure i read that was a part of their last contract negotiations, but maybe I'm wrong. they have to get residuals, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.