Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Evanescence

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Evanescence

Anyone as excited as I am about their new CD out 10/11??? They play in LA the day it comes out and I'm going to be there. Hope they sell a signed CD at the concert.
Old 10-05-11, 09:49 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Evanescence

I liked the new single, so I'm looking forward to hearing the rest.
Old 10-05-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Not really interested in their post-Moody stuff.
Old 10-05-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I'll be down for it on a $3.99 Amazon sale.
Old 10-05-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Not really interested in their post-Moody stuff.
I'm generally in the same boat (I've disliked everything they've done since he's left) but I gave this album a listen and I liked it a lot. The thing sounds less like The Open Door and overall seems more like a collaborative, band album instead of an Amy solo record with the band name slapped on it.

P.S. Ben Moody released his solo EP/album "You Can't Regret What You Don't Remember" on the net, for free, a week or so ago for 48hrs. If you're interested, you can probably still find it out there. I love it.
Old 10-05-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
I'm generally in the same boat (I've disliked everything they've done since he's left) but I gave this album a listen and I liked it a lot. The thing sounds less like The Open Door and overall seems more like a collaborative, band album instead of an Amy solo record with the band name slapped on it.

P.S. Ben Moody released his solo EP/album "You Can't Regret What You Don't Remember" on the net, for free, a week or so ago for 48hrs. If you're interested, you can probably still find it out there. I love it.
Thanks for the post. Do you know what's up with We Are the Fallen?
Old 10-05-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Thanks for the post. Do you know what's up with We Are the Fallen?
Last I heard, Universal Republic dropped them, and Ben said they are planning on sort of going back to their original game plan, which is releasing their music independently on digital music services like iTunes & Amazon until they get a new label deal (if they do). They are currently working on 2 EPs, one of 80's covers and one of 5 new songs.

They also filmed a live DVD/Blu-Ray, that since the split with the label has been stuck in limbo. Ben said he is looking for a distributor for it.
Old 10-09-11, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess you can buy the new CD on iTunes right now. Going to torrent it as I'm planning on buying the CD, just need to know how it sounds and the lyrics for when I see them in concert on Tuesday.
Old 10-11-11, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Love the band, and forgot about the new album until I heard a single yesterday on the radio. Picked up the deluxe on Amazon
Old 10-12-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I'm not impressed with the packaging.

I got the Deluxe Edition and it uses the cardboard sleeve style of packaging. However, to save space they only made two sleeves, so the DVD was in one and the CD & Booklet were both shoved into the other sleeve, right on top of each other. I had a hell of a time fighting to get them out and when I did, the CD was scratched up a bit. It seems to play fine, though.

Who the hell thinks up this stuff? What's wrong with having a 2 disc jewel case?
Old 10-12-11, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVANESCENCE's self-titled third major label album is likely to sell between 110,000 and 120,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to industry web site Hits Daily Double. The estimate was based on one-day sales reports compiled after the record arrived in stores on October 11 via Wind-Up Records.
Old 10-12-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sniper007
EVANESCENCE's self-titled third major label album is likely to sell between 110,000 and 120,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to industry web site Hits Daily Double. The estimate was based on one-day sales reports compiled after the record arrived in stores on October 11 via Wind-Up Records.
Is that good or bad lol. Saw them in concert last night and they were decent, but they were better with other lineups. Honestly, thought the CD was kind of weak and not as heavy as what it used to be. I know they were going different, but it's not something I would say I enjoyed except for a few songs.
Old 10-12-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Is that good or bad lol.
Seems pretty good considering they're pretty much a one-hit wonder from about eight years ago who haven't released an album in five years.
Old 10-12-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Seems pretty good considering they're pretty much a one-hit wonder from about eight years ago who haven't released an album in five years.
I wouldn't say one hit wonder. They had some good singles, sold out tours, and headlined with some big bands.
Old 10-13-11, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I don't agree with that. They had a handful of great singles and got plenty of radio play.

The new album sounds alright.
Old 10-13-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just listened to this on the way home from work. It's pretty good and I enjoyed it better than their 2nd CD. Only 2 lousy tracks. And the rest hit pretty hard!
Old 10-13-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
I just listened to this on the way home from work. It's pretty good and I enjoyed it better than their 2nd CD. Only 2 lousy tracks. And the rest hit pretty hard!
Really? Which tracks did you love and hate on the CD? I actually enjoyed the "2nd" cd (thought if we are talking about Open Door, it's kind of like their 3rd/4th cd). Really enjoyed Origins and Fallen (think that is what it was called), though.
Old 10-14-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Well, I'm not impressed with the packaging.
Yeah, it's pretty cheap, my cd had one of those cracks in the inner ring, but it plays fine. Really liking most of the songs so far.

This band really has a fascinating history, the revolving door of band members, pre-Daredevil leap to stardom, etc. Could probably make an interesting documentary on it one day, if they could get everyone to talk. The Living Sacrifice guys went back to...Living Sacrifice right?
Old 10-14-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
This band really has a fascinating history, the revolving door of band members, pre-Daredevil leap to stardom, etc. Could probably make an interesting documentary on it one day, if they could get everyone to talk. The Living Sacrifice guys went back to...Living Sacrifice right?
You're right, there is an interesting history in this band. From founding member David Hodges leaving the band right before they got famous, to Ben Moody quitting mid tour in 2003 and then Amy Lee firing drummer Rocky Gray and guitarist John LeCompt after recordng The Open Door. Apparently at this point, Amy Lee is the only band member who is actually under contract, and it specifies that Evanescence "is Amy Lee".

Also there was Ben popping up online last year out of the blue to explain why he left the band.

As for the Living Sacrifice members, there was only one, Rocky Gray (who plays guitar in Living Sacrifice). He is back in Living Sacrifice, and he plays drums in We Are The Fallen.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 10-14-11 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-14-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're right, there is an interesting history in this band. From founding member David Hodges leaving the band right before they got famous, to Ben Moody quitting mid tour in 2003 and then Amy Lee firing drummer Rocky Gray and guitarist John LeCompt after recordng The Open Door. Apparently at this point, Amy Lee is the only band member who is actually under contract, and it specifies that Evanescence "is Amy Lee".

Also there was Ben popping up online last year out of the blue to explain why he left the band.

As for the Living Sacrifice members, there was only one, Rocky Gray (who plays guitar in Living Sacrifice). He is back in Living Sacrifice, and he plays drums in We Are The Fallen.
Did not know Ben wrote that but I LOVE it. I can't tell HOW many people said WATF ripped off Amy even though I kept saying the band isn't even Evanescence anymore, it should be Amy Lee as Evanescence moved to basically We Are The Fallen. I mean, do they not understand that if the members of a band left, it's going to sound the same if they just replace the singer. People these days...
Old 10-16-11, 05:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
thought the CD was kind of weak and not as heavy as what it used to be. I know they were going different, but it's not something I would say I enjoyed except for a few songs.
This is probably their most heaviest album yet, imo. I enjoy the album and it's really growing on me but I still consider The Open Door as the best one out of the 3. I'm really disapointed with the lack of choirs and spookiness that made their past music so great. Only song I can't really get into is "Say You Will" from the deluxe.

Oh and their biggest hits are probably Bring me to life, My Immortal, and Call me when you're sober.
Old 10-16-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by alee62
This is probably their most heaviest album yet, imo. I enjoy the album and it's really growing on me but I still consider The Open Door as the best one out of the 3. I'm really disapointed with the lack of choirs and spookiness that made their past music so great. Only song I can't really get into is "Say You Will" from the deluxe.

Oh and their biggest hits are probably Bring me to life, My Immortal, and Call me when you're sober.
Maybe that's it. The spookness made it harder for me. I still don't consider it hard and I consider Origins as a CD they made. Seems like Origins and Fallen were harder than this CD.
Old 11-24-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Not deal of the day pricing, but Amazon has dropped the MP3 album to $6.99.

Plus:
$2 MP3 credit - Code: STUDYBRK

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-24-11 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-24-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
$2 MP3 credit - Code: STUDYBRK
Done ...

Not deal of the day pricing, but Amazon has dropped the MP3 album to $6.99.
... and done. Thanks for the heads-up.