Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do you hate/dislike CBS sitcoms?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Why do you hate/dislike CBS sitcoms?
The Laugh Track
32.56%
Bad writing. Most of them just aren't funny to me.
34.88%
I hate the multi-cam studio sitcoms in general.
9.30%
The casts. They just don't cast good comedic actors.
12.79%
The concepts for all these sitcoms just don't click with me.
18.60%
All of the above.
22.09%
I like some of the CBS sitcoms.
44.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

There has been alot of rumblings here by people who either hate or dislike CBS sitcoms. Especially in regards to 2 Broke Girls, Two and a Half Men and even The Big Bang Theory.

Just wanted to know some thoughts as to why.
Old 09-27-11, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why do you hate/dislike CBS sitcoms?

Laugh. Track.
Old 09-27-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don't mind The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men is okay from time to time. Not shows I watch all the time but I think they can be funny (especially The Big Bang Theory). I don't really like the laugh track but it's not a huge issue for me.
Old 09-27-11, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dislike any sitcoms not on ABC on Wednesdays and NBC on Thursdays.
Old 09-27-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Laugh track or no laugh track...the writing is awful. How THE BIG BANG THEORY and TWO AND A HALF MEN have such huge audiences, I'll never know...wait, yes I do - it's the same reason Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey have such big audiences.
Old 09-27-11, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I like HIMYM, but it's pretty much just a remake of Friends. That's the only one I watch
Old 09-27-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HIMYM and The Big Bang Theory are the only two I like, but to be fair, I have never bothered watching any of the others except for 2 Broke Girls. Like I mentioned in that thread, I thought the first episode had promise, but the second was just terrible.

I don't really get the hate for Big Bang Theory though, I find it really quite funny and not at all on the same level as the previous comment of Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey stuff.
Old 09-27-11, 06:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

I think Rules of Engagement is a hidden gem.
Old 09-27-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All of the above.

They all look terrible, and what little bits I've seen have confirmed that.
Old 09-27-11, 08:35 PM
Banned

I hate them because they're all lower-common denominator garbage.
Old 09-27-11, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Laugh tracks. GO AWAY
Old 09-27-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Horrible writing. I don't need the jokes spoon fed to me like I'm a retard.
Old 09-27-11, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I like Big Bang Theory. I don't really see how it's "lowest common denominator" when a lot of it revolves around nerd jokes that most folks probably don't understand the reference to.
Old 09-27-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked Worst Week
Old 09-27-11, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I like Big Bang Theory. I don't really see how it's "lowest common denominator" when a lot of it revolves around nerd jokes that most folks probably don't understand the reference to.
Oh please, adding words like "entropy" to standard sitcom cliche bullshit does not make BBT any better than the rest of the Chuck Lorre garbage on CBS.
Old 09-27-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Oh please, adding words like "entropy" to standard sitcom cliche bullshit does not make BBT any better than the rest of the Chuck Lorre garbage on CBS.
I enjoy the humor around things like comic books, video games, and dorky movies.
Old 09-27-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You left out: "they get better ratings than my favorite shows."

I watch one CBS comedy (The Big Bang Theory) and I love it. I have no negative feeling towards the others since I've never watched most of them and the ones I have sampled and not continued to watch are so harmless that I don't see the point in getting so worked up about it.

I love The Big Bang Theory even though it's killing a sitcom I love even more (Community), but I don't hold that against the show itself.
Old 09-27-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I selected all of the above, but it's mainly due to the bad writing. The "jokes" are not funny. The laugh track doesn't help, but I love Seinfeld so I don't write off a show simply because of it.

These shows are huge in Europe too, I couldn't believe it when I was over there last summer talking to friends (used to live in Germany).

Most network TV (save The Office and Modern Family) sucks, I avoid it like the plague. I'm content with AMC, FX, HBO, and Showtime.
Old 09-27-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't start watching BBT until season 3. The pilot episode was so bad I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes. For me, it seems like the writing, acting, and chemistry between the show's characters have improved tremendously, to the point where BBT is now one of my favorites.

HIMYM is a show I can take or leave. I thought the pilot episode was weak as well. Not sure why I stuck with it, I've never gotten any good laughs out of it, most of the time I barely crack a smile. I do like Rules of Engagement. That show is more like Friends than HIMYM.

I thought TAAHM was decent, the earlier years anyways, mostly due to Conchata Ferrell and Holland Taylor. There's definitely a noticeable drop-off the last few seasons, they're recycling story ideas and it annoys me that the girlfriends are getting recycled as different characters as well.

Two Broke Girls is horrible so far. The acting, writing, and chemistry between the characters is just not working for me. Easily the worst of the freshman comedies this year.
Old 09-28-11, 12:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah pretty much ALL OF THE ABOVE also for me here. And the thing is i LOVE Seinfeld and Friends, but that was fine in the 90's. Personally those laugh track on set sitcoms just don't do it for me anymore. I enjoy stuff like 30 rock and The Office etc.

And plus like someone else said, i'm pissed off at the fact that America loves this shit and it kills of my serialized shows in the process because J6P isn't watching, but would rather be told when to laugh!
Old 09-28-11, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To me, CBS sitcoms are like the Henny Youngman of TV shows: paper-thin characters spouting one-liners. It just seems outdated.

Shows like Parks & Rec and Raising Hope give me genuine characters, and the comedy seems more natural.

(From what I've seen of How I Met Your Mother, though, it seems to be a cut above the other CBS shows).
Old 09-28-11, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Laugh track or no laugh track...the writing is awful. How THE BIG BANG THEORY and TWO AND A HALF MEN have such huge audiences, I'll never know...wait, yes I do - it's the same reason Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey have such big audiences.
Yeah, I don't get this comment either. I can't stand either of the two actors listed (Truman Show being the lone exception) but love Big Bang Theory. I also like HIMYM but not a fan of the rest. In fact the only other two comedies I record are the Office and Modern Family.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
And plus like someone else said, i'm pissed off at the fact that America loves this shit and it kills of my serialized shows in the process because J6P isn't watching, but would rather be told when to laugh!
I thought the consensus was that reality shows have caused the decline of serialized shows, not a paltry handful of bad comedies on a single network. I think you're over reaching on that one.
Old 09-28-11, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I cannot stand Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory causes me to almost physically tense up with rage. I like sitcoms that have JOKES in them. A reference to something scientific and smart, or something nerdy from pop culture in and of itself is NOT A JOKE. I've tried BBT a few times and was just left sitting slack jawed at the lack of humour and then I'd come onto the internet to see the episode being praised as 'One of the best of the series!' - I just don't get it. Not funny, no jokes, lazy writing. Two and a Half Men is basically the same thing, but sub in boner and fart references.
Old 09-28-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do enjoy the BBT, but either than that, I hate everything else on CBS... Yes I do hate that they get better ratings than anything else on TV, but its because I just dont understand why. I get people like what they like, but I just cant seem to figure out the allure of the shit on CBS.
Old 09-28-11, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I like Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. Those are the only two shows I watch on CBS.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.