Old 09-26-11, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Terra Nova -- 2 Hour Series Premiere -- "Genesis" -- 9/26/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-17

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
From executive producers Steven Spielberg and Peter Chernin comes an epic family adventure 85 million years in the making. TERRA NOVA follows an ordinary family on an incredible journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as part of a daring experiment to save the human race. The Shannon family joins the Tenth Pilgrimage of settlers to Terra Nova, the first colony established in this beautiful yet foreboding land. Jim Shannon, a devoted father with a checkered past, guides his family through this new world of limitless beauty, mystery and terror. Jim's wife, Elisabeth, is a trauma surgeon and the newest addition to Terra Nova's medical team. Josh is their 17-year-old son who is torn to leave life as he knows it behind; upon arriving at the settlement, he finds himself instantly drawn to the beautiful and rule-breaking Skye. Maddy, Josh's endearingly awkward 15-year-old sister, hopes Terra Nova will give her a chance to reinvent herself. Although Elisabeth's medical training secured the family a spot on the pilgrimage, a secret involving their five-year-old daughter, Zoe, soon endangers their place in this utopia. Upon the Shannons' arrival, they are introduced to Cmdr. Nathaniel Taylor, the charismatic and heroic first pioneer and leader of the settlement. Taylor warns the travelers that while Terra Nova is a place of new opportunities and fresh beginnings, all is not as idyllic as it initially appears. Along with blue skies, towering waterfalls and lush vegetation, the surrounding terrain is teeming with danger - and not just of the man-eating dinosaur variety. There is also a splinter colony of renegades led by the battle-hardened Mira, who is vehemently opposed to Taylor and his leadership. The "Genesis" two-hour series premiere episode of TERRA NOVA airsMonday, Sept. 26 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (TN-101/2) (TV-14 L, V)

Read more: Listings - TERRA NOVA on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1Z3Lr6S4w

13 episode season. After the 13 episodes wrap, Alcatraz (JJ Abrams new show) or Touch (Kiefer Sutherland's new show) will move here.

The premiere was written by Craig Silverstein (Nikita) and Kelly Marcel

Directed by Alex Graves (Fringe, Journeyman)

Showrunner is Rene Echevarria (Castle)

Executive Producer is Steven Spielberg

Lead Director for the show is Jon Cassar (24) who will start with directing episode 3.

I follow Cassar's Twitter feed and they are wrapping up shooting the season finale right now.

The Pilot reportedly cost $20M. Episodes 2-13 will reportedly cost $4M an episode.

Trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X6aNEIZwPFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looking forward to it. This was probably my most anticipated new drama of the Fall.

Starring:
Jason O'Mara (Life on Mars)
Stephen Lang (Avatar)
Old 09-26-11, 05:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Terra Nova -- 2 Hour Series Premiere -- "Genesis" -- 9/26/11

I hope it doesn't suck.
Old 09-26-11, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I hope it doesn't suck.
Yeah same here. It's one of the few new TV shows I'll be looking forward to this week.
Old 09-26-11, 08:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll tune in to see how this turned out. Seems like this show has been in the the works for a decade at least.
Old 09-26-11, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I’m really looking forward to this also but knowing the American public I really don’t think it’s going to get another season. FOX will probably run all 13 episodes only because it cost so much and to save face but I don’t see it being a hit. There will be some curious viewers tonight but it’ll plunge next week.

It’s not a singing or dancing competition nor a crime procedural and plus it’s sci fi, so yeah don’t blame me if I’m a little negative about the chances of this show.

It sucks because of LIVE for this type of stuff! I love serialized shows and love scifi shows so I'm really hoping for the best here!
Old 09-26-11, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks stupid beyond belief, but what the hell, I'll watch it tonight.
Old 09-26-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have high hopes for this show because I can easily see it being really bad. But I'm willing to give it a shot hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
I’m really looking forward to this also but knowing the American public I really don’t think it’s going to get another season. FOX will probably run all 13 episodes only because it cost so much and to save face but I don’t see it being a hit. There will be some curious viewers tonight but it’ll plunge next week.

It’s not a singing or dancing competition nor a crime procedural and plus it’s sci fi, so yeah don’t blame me if I’m a little negative about the chances of this show.

It sucks because of LIVE for this type of stuff! I love serialized shows and love scifi shows so I'm really hoping for the best here!
Ever heard or Lost or Fringe? This can be successful... but it needs to be good. The reasons shows like V and The Event didn't pan out was because they sucked.

But Fox does have a bad history for cancelling shows too quickly. We'll see how this pans out.
Old 09-26-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There just better be some dinosaur killing. I want to see some beasties shot to bits.
Old 09-26-11, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I don't have high hopes for this show because I can easily see it being really bad. But I'm willing to give it a shot hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Ever heard or Lost or Fringe? This can be successful... but it needs to be good. The reasons shows like V and The Event didn't pan out was because they sucked.

But Fox does have a bad history for cancelling shows too quickly. We'll see how this pans out.

Lost is pretty much the exception, while I LOVE Fringe to death it's kinda hard to call it a success. Being watched by a measly 4-5 million people a week on Fridays is a stretch calling it a hit, it's still on because of the JJ Abrams name and because FOX knows they have a loyal fanbase.
Old 09-26-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks terrible
Old 09-26-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Supposedly if the ratings are good and FOX orders a 2nd season, they are contractually obligated to pay for 22 instead of just 13.

I had a feeling that a science fiction show with CGI dinosaurs would bring about the pessimists.

All kidding aside, this show needs big numbers, especially with how heavily promoted it is. Problem is it's facing the CBS sitcoms and week 2 of Two and a half Men.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-26-11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I want to see somewhere in the story an explanation of why they would choose to go back in time to the age of dinosaurs to restart the human race when they know some catastrophic event will eventually wipe them out?
Old 09-26-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I want to see somewhere in the story an explanation of why they would choose to go back in time to the age of dinosaurs to restart the human race when they know some catastrophic event will eventually wipe them out?

I really hope that too. I mean, it's obvious they did a lot of research and they had to find the perfect time to try to save human kind, but they need to explain it.

This is the first new show I'm watching this fall, I was going to watch some others but wasn't in the mood last week. I may watch some others this week.
Old 09-26-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Goat3001
With approx $64M in production costs for the 13 episodes, not counting promotion costs and additional special effects. Also sending a crew to film on location in Australia. I wouldn't be surprised if these 13 episodes would cost closer to $100M. I can't see them not airing all 13 episodes no matter what the numbers from Nielsen say.
Old 09-26-11, 01:08 PM

I'm either assuming it's because that's the only time they've been able to figure out the "machine" will send them back to or because they still figure they've a couple million years before said event will wipe them out and are hoping to achieve technological advances to either get them off the planet beforehand or survive underground or whatnot.... /end run-on sentence.
Old 09-26-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

That was what I was wondering too. Who the fuck builds a time machine and chooses the Dinosaur age to go back to?
Old 09-26-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

The Precambrian era was booked solid?
Old 09-26-11, 01:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Please let me know if they answer this. I won't be able to watch this for a few days.
Old 09-26-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Their spin is that the colony is started 20 million years before that catastrophic event...
Spoiler:
Old 09-26-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The story is that humans find a naturally occurring time portal that leads there.
Old 09-26-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking forward to it
Old 09-26-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
I really hope that too. I mean, it's obvious they did a lot of research and they had to find the perfect time to try to save human kind, but they need to explain it.

This is the first new show I'm watching this fall, I was going to watch some others but wasn't in the mood last week. I may watch some others this week.
Originally Posted by dan30oly
I'm either assuming it's because that's the only time they've been able to figure out the "machine" will send them back to or because they still figure they've a couple million years before said event will wipe them out and are hoping to achieve technological advances to either get them off the planet beforehand or survive underground or whatnot.... /end run-on sentence.
Originally Posted by Red Dog
That was what I was wondering too. Who the fuck builds a time machine and chooses the Dinosaur age to go back to?
According to a review I looked at earlier today, it is explained by some sort of crack in time. So they apparently don't have control over what point in history they arrive. So it's all or nothing.
Old 09-26-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...-drama-lacking

Alan Sepinwall gave it a B. Skimming through his review, he says the special effects were good and Stephen Lang was solid as the supporting character, but the Shannons were the weak point.
Old 09-26-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck goes back with them
Old 09-26-11, 04:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

dinosaurs fuck yeah

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.