Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mentalist -- Season 4 (Because Simon Baker is...The Mentalist) -- 9/22/11 (CBS)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Do you think Red John is really dead?
Yes
7.14%
Yes, but another person is involved.
0%
Nope...Jane screwed up. All a Red Herring
64.29%
Can this show please move on from Red John?
28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

The Mentalist -- Season 4 (Because Simon Baker is...The Mentalist) -- 9/22/11 (CBS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-22

Synopsis for "Scarlet Ribbons"

Spoiler:
"Scarlet Ribbons" - In prison for killing his nemesis, Patrick Jane must prove that the man he shot really was Red John. Meanwhile, Lisbon urges Van Pelt to seek counseling in the aftermath of the death of her fiance, Detective O'Laughlin, on the fourth season premiere of THE MENTALIST, Thursday, Sept. 22 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Read more: Listings - MENTALIST, THE on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1YiJRLvTD

Season 3 Recap:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EztV3VgXfYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yHbEo0g10Jo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-23-11, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Mentalist -- Season 4 (Because Simon Baker is...The Mentalist) -- 9/22/11 (CB

That was kind of cheesy. From winning the $1m playing poker in PRISON to the not-guilty verdict at the end. I mean, we knew he was going to walk away free, that was never in doubt. I just thought Bruno Heller would come up with something better than this cheeze-whiz of an episode.
Old 09-24-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Mentalist -- Season 4 (Because Simon Baker is...The Mentalist) -- 9/22/11 (CB

Yeah, kind of silly—the not guilty ending was a little too pat. Also, really?, Red John isn't dead? Bradley Whitford was great in that role and I think it was good to finally get some closure. Well, whatever.
Old 09-24-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind Red John not being dead. 1) It's almost like Ted finally meeting "the mother", the reason for the character ceases to exist. 2) I didn't think Red John would have been taken out so easily. This guy has been given almost god like power by the show after all.

What I didn't like was the quickie wrap-up. Jane bailing out should have been the back story for one episode. The trial should have been a standalone episode for another (with perhaps the reveal of Red John still being alive coming to light while investigating for the trial).
Old 09-24-11, 12:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

so if Red John kills again, does Jane automatically get arrested? or is it a case of double jeopardy?
Old 09-24-11, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
What I didn't like was the quickie wrap-up. Jane bailing out should have been the back story for one episode. The trial should have been a standalone episode for another (with perhaps the reveal of Red John still being alive coming to light while investigating for the trial).
True, but this show is a procedural and I don't think they want to spend several weeks on Red John episodes. They wanted to get the gang reinstated and Jane back on cases, which would not have happened without him legally clearing his name.
Old 09-25-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
so if Red John kills again, does Jane automatically get arrested? or is it a case of double jeopardy?
Why would Jane get arrested if Red John kills again?
Old 09-25-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The verdict was lame, liked the rest of the episode. Jane winning at the table was inserted for comedic purpose.
Old 11-05-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess there isn't a weekly thread for this. Jane single handedly proving Red John still exists while using him as a weapon to kill SJK (in a way, exactly the way his family was killed) was pretty awesome. I didn't think they were going that way, I assumed SJK would blow up on live TV and reveal himself.

Good to see so many Sheild alums getting work lately.
Old 11-05-11, 10:36 PM

Yes, I liked the end. Almost made up for the fact that they telegraphed the blogger really early on. The episode played out kind of too predictably for the first 3/4. If they would have made it feel like most other episodes the end would have been even more powerful. I do hope there are repercussions shown for arresting the other suspect -- his lawyer made it very obvious that a harassment suit would result.

I kept thinking either the blogger was a too-obvious red herring (which would have been simple and disappointing) or they better have a good twist at the end.

It may be the coldest thing Jane has ever done -- and it takes the show a bit closer to Dexter territory. Makes it a little harder to root for Jane, but for me it also makes the show more interesting. It does fit his concept of justice, and his seeming aversion to most hands-on violence (exception: he would probably kill Red John with a rusty potato peeler and not bat an eye).

Other show related stuff on my mind (I guess I'd like to see a weekly thread):

I am wondering when they will reveal that Bertram is in league with Red John? No way he quotes William Blake last season without being involved with RJ.

I miss LaRoche, hope he will be back. I think all the changes in leadership above Lisbon's team are less about Heller's show tweaking for cast chemistry and more about deliberate story setup -- Red John moving pieces around Jane. But even Red John can't control the whole thing so lots of people coming and going.

I still say the redheaded romantic interest from a couple years ago (played by Leslie Hope) is Red John.

Finally, I don't like Jane's car. There, I said it.
Old 11-06-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The ending was awesome.
It actually was not about justice. It was about saving innocent lives, the blogger was going about SJK would definitely kill more people, about how he is getting bolder etc, and thats when Jane decides to use the Red John weapon..he is shown mulling over this.
Old 11-06-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, great ending. Also agree with SG that the rest of the episode was, not bad but too by the numbers. Like once they had the twist they just filled in the rest to set it up. Although there were some good moments, like the father watching the dance video.