Old 09-19-11, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Playboy Club -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/19/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
When new bunny Maureen (Amber Heard, "Zombieland," "Pineapple Express") begins working at the club, she quickly gets caught up in a dangerous situation with life altering consequences. Coming to her aid is Nick Dalton (Eddie Cibrian, "CSI: Miami," "Third Watch"), one of Chicago's top attorneys and a regular at the club -- despite the tension this situation creates with his girlfriend Carol-Lynne (Laura Benanti, "Take the Lead," "Eli Stone"). Meanwhile, the other bunnies, Janie (Jenna Dewan Tatum, "American Virgin," "Step Up"), Alice (Leah Renee, "True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet") and Brenda (Naturi Naughton, "Lottery Ticket," "Fame") each deal with their own personal issues and secrets while the club's General Manager Billy Rosen (David Krumholtz, "Numb3rs," "Superbad") tries his best to keep the club running without interference from the mob. Also starring Wes Ramsey ("CSI: Miami," "Dracula's Guest") and Jenifer Lewis ("Strong Medicine," "What's Love Got To Do With It").

Starring:
Amber Heard
Eddie Cibirian
David Krumholtz
Jenna Dewan-Tatum (Mrs. Channing Tatum)

Trailer:

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1327501" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I'm interested in this show, but this goes on the backburner behind H50 and Castle. It's pretty much a lock to finish 3rd in the timeslot.
Old 09-19-11, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: The Playboy Club -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/19/11

This is the fall show my wife and I have pegged to try out this year. But I'm not holding my breath.
Old 09-19-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll watch just to spite the lunatics at PTC.
Old 09-19-11, 08:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll check it out. Curious to see which 60s-era show fares better, this or Pan-Am.
Old 09-19-11, 08:23 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I'll stick with Mad Men, thanks.
Old 09-19-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

If this lasts more than 3 weeks, I'll be shocked. What a terrible timeslot, not only because of the standard ABC/CBS competition, but MNF too.

And putting this kind of show on regular TV is such a waste.
Old 09-19-11, 09:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Seems like there is no point in watching the network broadcast of this. If this gets good reviews I'll wait for the BD and watch the uncut version.
Old 09-19-11, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Hey look, - it's Lonestar 2!

Don't see this lasting past the initial 13 episodes (if it makes it that far). I'll still check it out.
Old 09-19-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I may watch for a few minutes, maybe longer. We'll see what my stamina's like.
Old 09-19-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho
Seems like there is no point in watching the network broadcast of this. If this gets good reviews I'll wait for the BD and watch the uncut version.
There is no extra nudity or language that was cut. The Pilot airing tonight is what was shot.
Old 09-19-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I'll check it out. Curious to see which 60s-era show fares better, this or Pan-Am.
This.
Old 09-19-11, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
There is no extra nudity or language that was cut. The Pilot airing tonight is what was shot.
I read some time ago that there would be nudity in the DVD/BD versions. If that's not the case no point in watching this at all.
Old 09-19-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

I read some time ago that there would be nudity in the DVD/BD versions. If that's not the case no point in watching this at all.
So you were only mildly intrigued because of the "Possibility" of more nudity? Dude, just turn on HBO late night if you need a nudity fix.

20th Century FOX had the actors sign a contract for them to do nudity to leave that option open for international/home video market. But, from what I read, the Pilot was shot for network television with no edits. This was from a few months ago, but I read the creators had no immediate plans to shoot longer episodes with more sex and nudity.

This is an excerpt from an interview with the creator of this show:

THR: So speculation that the DVD will include nudity is incorrect?

Chad Hodge: Tonally, it’s not really in the world of the show. If this was a show about Playboy magazine -- and the stories were driven by that -- you’d have scenes at centerfold shoots. If this took place at the Playboy magazine offices, for example, that would be a whole different show that should be on cable and there would have to be nudity otherwise you wouldn’t be telling the right story. This is about the Playboy Bunnies at the club, which was related to Playboy magazine because it was done under the umbrella of the same company, but other than that the rules that existed and the way of live as a Playboy Bunny had really nothing to do with nudity – in fact it explicitly didn’t have anything to do with nudity.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-19-11 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 01:03 PM
Cool New Member

Wanted to record this, but my Tivo only has 2 tuners. I'm already recording Hawaii 5-0 and Castle...
Old 09-19-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

THR: So speculation that the DVD will include nudity is incorrect?

Chad Hodge: Tonally, it’s not really in the world of the show. If this was a show about Playboy magazine -- and the stories were driven by that -- you’d have scenes at centerfold shoots. If this took place at the Playboy magazine offices, for example, that would be a whole different show that should be on cable and there would have to be nudity otherwise you wouldn’t be telling the right story. This is about the Playboy Bunnies at the club, which was related to Playboy magazine because it was done under the umbrella of the same company, but other than that the rules that existed and the way of live as a Playboy Bunny had really nothing to do with nudity – in fact it explicitly didn’t have anything to do with nudity.
There were no utensils in medieval times, hence there are no utensils at Medieval Times. Now, would you like a refill on that Pepsi?
Old 09-19-11, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
So you were only mildly intrigued because of the "Possibility" of more nudity? Dude, just turn on HBO late night if you need a nudity fix.
It's not the nudity in and of itself, it's the idea that they are holding back for network television. Something like this should be on HBO or Showtime...or FX/AMC at the very least.
Old 09-19-11, 01:32 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

It's not the nudity in and of itself, it's the idea that they are holding back for network television. Something like this should be on HBO or Showtime...or FX/AMC at the very least.
Yes, it's very telling that the only incentive I have to watch this show is because of Krumholz, and that is so very, very, very wrong.
Old 09-19-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to watch this and Pan-Am hoping that one of them might be the next Mad Men, and yet I'm thinking both will fail.
Old 09-19-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

As interested as I am I think this and Pan Am both would be a lot more interesting on a cable network. Regular network drama series typically don't do much for me and both seem like they just want to try and ride Mad Men's coattails. Not to mention the fact that cancellations are much higher for network shows. So pass on this for me.
Old 09-19-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the blonde. Maureen I think the character's name is
Old 09-20-11, 12:31 AM
Banned

Did anyone even watch this?
Old 09-20-11, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Did anyone even watch this?
Everyone is asleep in the East and this is still airing in the West. Chances are people will gradually get to it. There was alot of stuff on tonight.

I'm going to try to watch it late tonight or tomorrow.
Old 09-20-11, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I like the blonde. Maureen I think the character's name is
ie the hotter then hell Amber Heard
Old 09-20-11, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everytime I see the promos for this show I think of the good ol' days of USA "T&A without the T&A".
Old 09-20-11, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I decided to watch this live with my antenna while my DVR picked up Castle and Hawaii Five-O.

First things first, this is no Mad Men. Mad Men transports you back into its time from the opening shot of the pilot. They might miss a detail or two on that show at times (music being played a few months ahead of it being released, etc.), but the overall feel of the show is that you are back in the 60s.

The Playboy Club feels like a show about the 60s being told by someone in 2011. Much like the women that appear in Playboy these days, the show feels synthetic and unrealistic. They don't give the show any kind of structure to set the date other than the fact that there were Playboy Clubs in the 60s. Oh, and people smoke, because that's what people in the 60s did (lifted directly from Mad Men).

Beyond that, the rest of the show was bland. It's got chicks in bunny outfits and...well that's about it. There was a covered-up death, and something about gay rights, which felt more like the producers tacking something on to appease GLADD than anything else.

It wasn't bad as much as it felt lifeless and dull. Two things that The Playboy Club should never be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.