Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

80's low budget dvd transfers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-11, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
80's low budget dvd transfers

I notice it a little on 70's low budget dvd transfers, but especially 80's low budget transfers: The picture has this kind of bland, peach or gray colored look. Not all low budget movies, but a lot of them.

Does anyone know what I'm talk about? If so, I wonder if you know why they look like that?
Old 09-16-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: 80's low budget dvd transfers

Can you please give us examples of specific films and DVD transfers? That way if we actually have those DVDs, we can check them to see if what you're describing is evident to us or not.
Old 09-16-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,851 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Peach and gray were very popular colors in the '80s. Problem solved.
Old 09-17-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airplane, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Chud, Alligator, Commando. To name a few.
Old 09-18-11, 12:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know THIEF has had about 3 different looking transfers.
It's not like the movies of this century where they are mostly teal colored.
Looks like the blue ray od SCARFACE doesn't look ;ole it did in 1983.
Depends on the dope who is doing the color correcting.
Old 09-18-11, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
Airplane, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Chud, Alligator, Commando. To name a few.
I saw one of those in a theater, one on cable, one on broadcast, one on VHS, and the other (CHUD) not at all, and absolutely none on DVD, so I'm afraid I can't help you out on this one. Sorry.
Old 09-18-11, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
I notice it a little on 70's low budget dvd transfers, but especially 80's low budget transfers: The picture has this kind of bland, peach or gray colored look. Not all low budget movies, but a lot of them.

Does anyone know what I'm talk about? If so, I wonder if you know why they look like that?
Quality of the film stock used for digitization purposes.
Old 09-19-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A number of things happened to make a lot (not all) of the films from the late 1970s and early 1980s look bad:

Much of the Eastman Kodak film stock from this period was poor, meaning the films never looked that great to start with, and were more susceptible to fading over time.

Movies started opening much wider (many more screens than before) so more wear and tear on the film elements to make more prints.

Cheaper lab processing was available for 35mm film (and became more popular because of having larger print runs), with resulting lowering of quality. Technicolor, for one, discontinued their top-of-the-line imbibition process in the late 1970s, which had always been expensive and had been being used by fewer and fewer films, but now it was gone completely.

Probably other reasons as well but these are a few I thought of. It isn't necessarily the transfers, the films themselves probably looked this way to start with, especially low budget ones.
Old 09-19-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
Peach and gray were very popular colors in the '80s. Problem solved.
Much like teal and orange are now. Was somewhat take aback recently as I watched bits of Fast and Furious and the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. Those colors were so ubiquitous, they were actually distracting, especially in Nightmare.

--THX
Old 09-19-11, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Much like teal and orange are now. Was somewhat take aback recently as I watched bits of Fast and Furious and the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. Those colors were so ubiquitous, they were actually distracting, especially in Nightmare.

--THX
I never heard of anyone in DVDTALK say they like teal & orange in their movies. Since DVDTALK members are mostly movie geeks one can assume that movie goers don't like it. So why does Hollywood continue for 11 years putting this out?
Only reason I can think of is that they have the guy on the desktop who does the color on the movie print with little time to work on the film.
So in order to finish the print quick he just leaves scenes in the 2 color shade.