Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

With the new release of Star Wars, are DVD folks making the switch to Blu-ray?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 01:08 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Irrespective of how good/bad the changes are and excluding the people who are boycotting this release. For the people who refused/held back from making the jump from DVD to Blu-ray, will you be taking the plunge now?
Old 09-13-11, 01:10 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: With the new release of Star Wars, are DVD folks making the switch to Blu-ray?

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the DVD section as I thought I'd get burned.
Old 09-13-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: With the new release of Star Wars, are DVD folks making the switch to Blu-ray?

They're not making this version available on DVD too? Interesting. It didn't even occur to me that this would be a blu ray-only release. Curious to see the number of people who buy in just for Star Wars.
Old 09-13-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,067 Posts

I personally think the quality of the Star Wars release is a clusterfuck enough to have little to no influence on going blu.

For me, the titles that were going to push me into blu were the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Jurassic Park, and Jaws. We've already got one of those, we're about to get the second, and we're still waiting for the third.

That said, I caved in when Blade Runner was released a few years ago. A truly epic release and still, IMO, the best Blu-ray release to date (which is actually kind of sad considering its been several years since its release).
Old 09-13-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I doubt it will make that much of an impact for people to jump over to blu.
Old 09-13-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Based upon what I've read about the spiffy new changes, and the gaggle of unfixed technical gaffes, I'm switching back to DVD....non-anamorphic DVD.
Old 09-13-11, 07:34 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I also think most of the people that are interested in this release have most likely already switched to Blu-ray.
Old 09-13-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Fok
Irrespective of how good/bad the changes are and excluding the people who are boycotting this release. For the people who refused/held back from making the jump from DVD to Blu-ray, will you be taking the plunge now?
Fok, yeah.
Old 09-13-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I could see a small segment of J6P that doesn't care about the changes/details making the jump
Old 09-13-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I could see a small segment of J6P that doesn't care about the changes/details making the jump
I think it's safe to assume the majority of the media buying public doesn't obsess over the details the way we do.

This will sell well at Christmas.
Old 09-13-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

I have the DVDs, but won't jump to Blu. I don't like to double dip, so I guess that's more of the reason.

and the Clone Wars cartoon kind of burned me out. Too much SW exposure for me these past couple of years.
Old 09-13-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More people in the UK would probably be making the Blu-Ray switch because of Star Wars, since Panasonic is giving the set away for free with select Blu-Ray players.
Old 09-13-11, 11:47 PM
Banned

I would jump on the Star Wars set in a second, if it had the real movies in it. I guess, as it's been said before, that I'm stuck with the 2 disc sets from a few years ago. They may be non anamorphic, but at least they're the true versions of the movies.
Old 09-14-11, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Haven't the Star Wars DVDs been slipping out of print?
Old 09-14-11, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
The Majority of the public doesnt care if Lucas alters these movies or not little.
To them 15 to 20 second changes in dialogue and modifications in FX spread through out 3 movies dont have that much of an impact.
despite what the small but very vocal obbsessed fans on the internet will lead you to believe.
Old 09-14-11, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yes, it looks that way. Thus far, there's been no word on a DVD re-release.
Old 09-14-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
The Majority of the public doesnt care if Lucas alters these movies or not little.
To them 15 to 20 second changes in dialogue and modifications in FX spread through out 3 movies dont have that much of an impact.
despite what the small but very vocal obbsessed fans on the internet will lead you to believe.
The majority of the public also doesn't care about lossless audio and proper aspect ratios. The majority of the public really don't notice much difference between DVD and BD because they don't have their system set up properly. The majority of the public are perfectly happy watching streaming video on their portable devices, no matter how small the screen or how crappy the video quality.

If the Star Wars set is given away free as is being done in the UK, then yes, it will bring in a lot of new folks. Otherwise, price is going to be the determining factor as to whether or not the majority of the public goes blu. But I think that boat has already sailed and the majority of the public is shifting away from physical media entirely.

(For the record, I don't care about lossless audio, either, and still don't have an HDTV hooked up to my PS3. )
Old 09-14-11, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I've noticed this. The DVD trilogies are selling for more than the blu-ray on Amazon, especially the 2006 editions with the UOT included. They're selling for around $130 right now. I'm glad I picked them up when they first came out.
Old 09-14-11, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by leem6453
I've noticed this. The DVD trilogies are selling for more than the blu-ray on Amazon, especially the 2006 editions with the UOT included. They're selling for around $130 right now. I'm glad I picked them up when they first came out.
Yeah, I got the sets with the originals included for $10 each at Costco. I think the box set of the three of them could be had for even less at times.
Old 09-14-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the Best Buy exclusive tin with the OT. I'm guessing the price on that will really go up on that soon.
Old 09-15-11, 03:15 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
I have the Best Buy exclusive tin with the OT. I'm guessing the price on that will really go up on that soon.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. Oh well another good reason to keep it around (since I'm a SW collector).
Old 09-15-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I have the DVDs, but won't jump to Blu. I don't like to double dip, so I guess that's more of the reason.
STAR WARS releases are NEVER a double dip...thanks to Mr. Lucas, they're a new movie every single time!
Old 09-15-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
I look at it a different way. A majority of people don't like the changes, but in the end it wont stop them from buying the movies. The vocal minority are the ones who also don't like the changes, and will boycott the movies. All of my friends HATE the changes, hated the changes in 2004 DVD's, but still bought them because they say the same exact thing to me, "These changes are terrible, but I put up with them because I love the OT movies so much."
Old 09-15-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

I made the switch to Blu-Ray because of "Screwballs". I won't be buying the latest Star Wars revision, but I will buy the real versions if they ever come out. Rafal Zielinski > George Lucas!
Old 09-16-11, 05:43 AM

I made the switch when BLU players became cheap and region free.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.