Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone hardcore DVD collectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Anyone hardcore DVD collectors?

I'm wondering if there are people like me that collect DVD's, but only want the best of the best. With all the special features loaded onto the DVD. And if so, where do you find which DVD version is the best?
Old 09-12-11, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Anyone hardcore DVD collectors?

I get stuff based on price and how much I like it. If it's something I really like, I'd buy a box set. If it's something like an extra disc of bonus features for $10 more, I'll skip it. I don't usually watch bonus stuff since I usually don't care about it in the first place and I have enough movies I haven't seen yet. It's basically movie first and then anything else is going to be secondary, in most cases. I stopped caring about statues and other stuff a long time ago, since I don't have the room for them and they're usually overpriced things anyway. Never cared about steelbooks that'll get dented up and lithographs, which just seem pointless to me.

Online reviews for new stuff and www.dvdcompare.net for older stuff is where I go to see which version is better.
Old 09-12-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I get stuff based on price and how much I like it. If it's something I really like, I'd buy a box set. If it's something like an extra disc of bonus features for $10 more, I'll skip it. I don't usually watch bonus stuff since I usually don't care about it in the first place and I have enough movies I haven't seen yet. It's basically movie first and then anything else is going to be secondary, in most cases. I stopped caring about statues and other stuff a long time ago, since I don't have the room for them and they're usually overpriced things anyway. Never cared about steelbooks that'll get dented up and lithographs, which just seem pointless to me.
Same for me. I care about the movie, first and foremost. Disc art, slipcovers, even bonus features all take a backseat to the movie itself.
Old 09-12-11, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I try to get is the best transfer of the movie. After that, everything else is gravy.

If there's something I'm interested in buying, I read up on the reviews of all the releases and try to determine which is the best. What's surprising is just how often an older release is actually preferred.
Old 09-13-11, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Online reviews for new stuff and www.dvdcompare.net for older stuff is where I go to see which version is better.
Exactly, except I don't buy box sets unless there are various versions of the film included *or* it's the only way to get the version I truly want. I'm only interested in the film, nothing else.
Old 09-13-11, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just a big fan of interviews, making ofs, and if it's one of my fav movies, cool collector's things. And with some many "versions" of the movie out with some DVDs, it's impossible to find all of them out and see which is the best.
Old 09-13-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

No... no one on DVDtalk is a huge dvd collector
Old 09-13-11, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to be. In the early days of DVD, I bought a lot because "this is a good movie". 10 years gone by and a few DVDs still in shrink wrap, I just never watched a lot of these movies, good as they are (or watched more than once).

Now that I've gone blu-ray, only replacing the ones I actually do watch on a regular basis (or deserve to be seen on blu-ray
Old 09-13-11, 09:57 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

My Signature speaks for me!
Old 09-13-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Exactly, except I don't buy box sets unless there are various versions of the film included *or* it's the only way to get the version I truly want. I'm only interested in the film, nothing else.
Yeah, if it's one of those deals where it's the same stuff sold separately but put in a box, I'm skipping the box, unless it's cheaper.

What I hate are the box sets that have a theme to them, like cannibals, and then I have to decide how to sort it. Do I leave them in the box and then put it in based on the title of the box or do I just pull them out and do them separately? If I separate them, then I wonder if I should just toss the box since it's not useful. I'm in the middle of reorganizing my movies again, so this is the type of thing I hit each time. I worked on it over the weekend and only finished the Cs.
Old 09-13-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Regulus
My Signature speaks for me!
Damn, I thought my collection was insane lol. Almost 2k. Does that include any Blu-Ray? Or just DVDs? And do you usually get the insane box set or just settle with just owning a copy of the movie?

Yeah, if it's one of those deals where it's the same stuff sold separately but put in a box, I'm skipping the box, unless it's cheaper.

What I hate are the box sets that have a theme to them, like cannibals, and then I have to decide how to sort it. Do I leave them in the box and then put it in based on the title of the box or do I just pull them out and do them separately? If I separate them, then I wonder if I should just toss the box since it's not useful. I'm in the middle of reorganizing my movies again, so this is the type of thing I hit each time. I worked on it over the weekend and only finished the Cs.
Yeah, I'm the same way. Box set with everything I have, I'll stay away from. But with new added features, kind of hard to turn away. And I feel you with the sorting. Sometimes I'll get a box set of old horror films and I'll just cast them to the side and put it at the end of my collection because it would be impossible to find a way to do it otherwise.
Old 09-13-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Well, not superhardcore, but as I've gotten older and gone through buying sprees and selloffs of my collection, I'm getting to a point where I'd rather have fewer, really nice DVD sets than just a bunch of stuff.

Also, I'd rather be more focused on genre's I truly enjoy. My first true love was Scifi, and over the years I tried to convince myself I should branch out to be more well rounded. Well, I'm accepting that I can rent the other stuff, and save the buying for the things I really want to own, like Star Trek, Star Wars and Doctor Who.
Old 09-13-11, 05:44 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

If it's a box set with the central theme of cannibals, I would be tempted to sort the box set under C for Cannibals. I would hate to separate the individual titles from the box set, and it would definitely help me to remember where it was in my collection. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 09-13-11 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-13-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

When I think of "hardcore collectors", I think of sheer numbers. Anyone remember pdjennings? Looks like he stopped updating his list over 4.5 years ago and it was close to 5,000 back then.
Old 09-13-11, 06:27 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Damn, I thought my collection was insane lol. Almost 2k. Does that include any Blu-Ray? Or just DVDs? And do you usually get the insane box set or just settle with just owning a copy of the movie?
No Blu-Ray, yet. Just DVDs (And some VHS - those can be had for as little as 10 Cents a Tape, hey, as long as my VCRs (yes, I have more than one) work I'll still purchase VHS Tapes, especially at Garage Sales). As for Movies, I usually get just the Movie only, but I'll get the Box Set for certain Series (Such as the Star Wars, Indiana Jones & the Planet of the Apes series. And where does all the money come from to purchase all these Tapes and DVDs? In January of 2007 I "Cut the Cord", discontinuing my Pay-TV Subscription because I got fed up with what they were showing. Too many Commercials, and what good are 150+ Channels when they seem to show THE SAME, STALE PROGRAMMING? I was paying around $65.00 a Month when I discontinued my Subscription, and my Signature bears witness to what that money can purchase. Video On-Demand, No Commercials, and after I finish watching a show, I GET TO KEEP IT!

Last edited by Regulus; 09-15-11 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-13-11, 06:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I think we have several people here in the 10k or more DVD territory.

I feel the organizational pains too. Right now, I keep boxsets in a separate area (and therefore alwYs forget what I own and buy individual film duplicates), except for boxsets where each film is in a separate case, and there is no bonus disc or book to make the boxset truly unique. For those, I separate the individual titles and file them alphabetically, so therefore I forget that I own the boxset and buy it again. I'm a mess.
Old 09-13-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think we have several people here in the 10k or more DVD territory.

I feel the organizational pains too. Right now, I keep boxsets in a separate area (and therefore alwYs forget what I own and buy individual film duplicates), except for boxsets where each film is in a separate case, and there is no bonus disc or book to make the boxset truly unique. For those, I separate the individual titles and file them alphabetically, so therefore I forget that I own the boxset and buy it again. I'm a mess.
I know that Mister Peepers is over 10,000 if I'm recalling correctly. As of my last update to my Google Docs, I was at 9,857. Next time I update, I'll probably hit the 10,000 mark.

As for organization and space issues, I gave up. Once I ran out of space, I started getting rid of the cases and going to dvd books. I knew there was no way in hell I could keep those alphabetized. I began a numbering system for each book and added that info to my Google Doc. It was a pain in the ass, but now I can search for a movie and immediately find what book its in.
Old 09-13-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in the upper 12k range in titles.

This is the sort of set that really makes me think if I should keep using the box or not. The box itself is made from similar material as you'd find the box of a deck of cards from a dollar store.
http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Horrors...5958938&sr=8-1
Old 09-13-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Next time I update, I'll probably hit the 10,000 mark.
Are you going to do something like get 10,000 BC? I thought about it but didn't. Then I saw the movie earlier this year and was glad I didn't.
Old 09-13-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you going to do something like get 10,000 BC? I thought about it but didn't. Then I saw the movie earlier this year and was glad I didn't.
Probably not. I was giving thought to doing something special, but laziness is probably just gonna get the best of me.
Old 09-13-11, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was, once upon a time - back in the golden age of DVD. With catalog titles a thing of the past, I actually have everything that was once on my wish-list, and what I don't have I rent, stream, or download. I haven't bought a DVD (other than the Corman sci-fi triple-feature) in over a year and don't plan to again, aside from a few potential MoC discs. I'm actually in the process of selling off a lot of stuff.
Old 09-13-11, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Probably not. I was giving thought to doing something special, but laziness is probably just gonna get the best of me.
But do you two, or anyone with a large collection like us, really know how many titles you own? I can't imagine ever being honestly sure of my total. There are too many variables in how to count, in what counts, in whether some stuff is staying or going, etc. Even finding all of my DVDs seems impossible. Between random places they turn up in my home and friends returning borrowed titles at random times, and the constant purchasing and returning, my collection is in constant flux.
Old 09-13-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
But do you two, or anyone with a large collection like us, really know how many titles you own?
My collection is very well organized, plus DVDAf gives me a total - breaking down box sets into individual films. I've got 2,469, with about 200 more sold or for sale over the last few weeks.
Old 09-13-11, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
My collection is very well organized, plus DVDAf gives me a total - breaking down box sets into individual films. I've got 2,469, with about 200 more sold or for sale over the last few weeks.
I said large collection, not weekend shopping spree.

Last edited by Trevor; 09-13-11 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-13-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

My collection is fairly consolidated--bookshelves and plastic crates--so I probably could make a rough count if I wanted to. I don't think I want to, however.

EDIT: My rough count would be a measurement of physical space so compact boxed sets would be misrepresented.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.