http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cf...ultsPerPage=48

DEAL IS DEAD

The new complete series sets of
King of Queens
Married with Children
Dawson's Creek

Bad packaging but they are cheap

Release date 9/27/2011

Last edited by Classic Films; 09-28-11 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-07-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: King of Queens Married w/ Children Complete $35.75 @ DD

Beats Amazon prices of $39.99
Old 09-07-11, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are these so cheap? The other King of Queens complete series box is over $100. The quality can't be that much worse, can it?
Old 09-07-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jewellrunner
Why are these so cheap? The other King of Queens complete series box is over $100. The quality can't be that much worse, can it?
Different packaging. These are a bunch of DVDs literally stacked on top of each other on a spindle. (Picture when you buy a pack of blank DVDs or CDs... sort of like that in a cheap box.)

Content is identical, so if you don't care about packaging, it's a great deal.
Old 09-07-11, 04:37 PM

I read somewhere that the Married with Children complete set is packaged so that all the discs are stacked on top of each other on a spindle/hub kind of holder...I guess it's cheaper to package...
Old 09-07-11, 04:59 PM
Zbu

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
I read somewhere that the Married with Children complete set is packaged so that all the discs are stacked on top of each other on a spindle/hub kind of holder...I guess it's cheaper to package...
Makes it lighter to ship since there's no real space issues. All you have is the packaging then the discs. No cases, no inserts, et cetera. It's not a bad way if you haven't gotten the series yet.
Old 09-07-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

What I find interesting is that these are pre-releases and the sale of which these are part ends 9/20/11 @ Noon CST, 7 days before the street date.

I have the Married... With Children set on pre-order from Amazon and don't know if I want to hassle with DD to save ~$4. Probably not as Amazon's return process is far superior and with these on spindle packs there could be issues. Hopefully Amazon will lower the price a bit more before release.
Old 09-07-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

KoQ works out to less than $4 a season while MwC would be not much more than $3/season...I'm thinking I might not care about the packaging issue.
Old 09-08-11, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

The MWC is a great price. I liked the show at the time, but doubt I'd find time to watch the entire series again (I already own a couple of the seasons), but since when has that ever stopped me before!
Old 09-12-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

So does those DVDs also include the special features, if any?
Old 09-12-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I heard the spindle packaging. I don't have a problem with that, while I like cool packaging, it's a PITA to store on a shelf.
Is there any potential damage from being on a spindle? I've been going through my computer supply shelf and I've got some spindles of CDs and DVDs and they seem like they're scratched up, though I don't know definitively what the cause was.
Old 09-14-11, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by jacob_b
So does those DVDs also include the special features, if any?
These should be the same discs as the season sets so the same (if any) special features should apply.

I know for my News Radio set like this it included features like a commentary track etc. I also have the full packaging Married with Children set which had some features for the first few seasons so I'd expect them to be on this set as well.
Old 09-14-11, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I've been going through my computer supply shelf and I've got some spindles of CDs and DVDs and they seem like they're scratched up, though I don't know definitively what the cause was.
For my previous sets like this (Sanford and Son/News Radio) I've disposed of that square spindle thing and put all the discs in those Case Logic type double sided DVD single sleeves and all have been fine for me like this.

You can usually find those single sleeves pretty cheap at dollar stores - just be sure to check to make sure it's the ones with the cloth lining and not the plan paper ones since on a quick glance they can look the same on the shelf.

Considering I'm working my way through a stockpile of them I got for $1 for a 50 pack I'd really prefer it if they used a thicker grade of cardboard on the outer box and put the discs in sleeves like this and just charge a buck or two more.
Old 09-14-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wz42
These should be the same discs as the season sets so the same (if any) special features should apply.

I know for my News Radio set like this it included features like a commentary track etc. I also have the full packaging Married with Children set which had some features for the first few seasons so I'd expect them to be on this set as well.
I think the King of Queens bonus disc that was only in the complete collection will be in this as well. Both have 27 total discs. I bought the individual releases so I didn't get the bonus disc, I haven't heard if the content is substantial on it.
Old 09-14-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
I think the King of Queens bonus disc that was only in the complete collection will be in this as well. Both have 27 total discs. I bought the individual releases so I didn't get the bonus disc, I haven't heard if the content is substantial on it.
Interesting. I'm def going to keep an eye on this website. Don't get about the whole nice packaging as much as I do for special features.
Old 09-14-11, 06:02 PM
Cool New Member

All my wish list items just went up a few dollars each, so I think they might be getting ready for another coupon sale. I'll wait a few weeks for this set.
Old 09-27-11, 11:18 AM

Just got my KoQ pre-order from Amazon.ca.

I would post pics but I'm on my crappy phone (home net is out). It is in spindle packaging however different than the Sanford and Son/News Radio sets.

It has an outer sleeve and a fold out disc holder with two spindles on each side when you unfold it. The cardboard is also reinforced compared to the previous complete value sets.

Can't do my sleeve thing mentioned earlier with this design but I do like the thicker cardboard quality.
Old 09-27-11, 11:23 AM

whenever you can please post pics. Im lookin to get that set aswell. Are these the same discs as beofre(do they include the same extras)
Old 09-27-11, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Shawerma
whenever you can please post pics. Im lookin to get that set aswell. Are these the same discs as beofre(do they include the same extras)
I haven't looked any the discs by season yet to see if there's bonus material incl with them but I did check to see if it had that bonus disc referenced earlier and, sure enough, the last disc in the second spindle is labelled "bonus disc" so I suspect this is the same set as the more expensive truck set in cheapo packaging.
Old 09-27-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So Target got KOQ's and Dawson's Creek series.. They are incredibly light, even lighter than you'd expect 27 discs to feel. Can't recall the price. It was either 39.99 or 49.99.
Old 09-27-11, 07:18 PM
Suspended

^44.99
Old 09-28-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Best Buy had Married w/ Children and Dawson with a regular selling price of $50 each.