Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, Coen Bros.) (S: Isaac, Mulligan, Timberlake, Goodman)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, Coen Bros.) (S: Isaac, Mulligan, Timberlake, Goodman)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always look forward to another Coen Bros. movie, maybe moreso than any other filmmakers out there.

"StudioCanal has come on board to co-finance and handle international sales for "Inside Llewyn Davis," an original script directed and produced by the Coen brothers.

Scott Rudin will also produce, while Robert Graf, who most recently exec produced "Paul" and the Coen brothers' "True Grit," will exec produce.

"Llewyn" centers around Llewyn Davis' struggles as a folk musician during the genre's 1960s heyday in New York City.

Pic would mark the third team-up for the quartet, all of whom collaborated on "True Grit" and "No Country for Old Men."

Last week, StudioCanal snapped up French distribution rights to Rudin's "Moonrise Kingdom" starring Ed Norton, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray and Tilda Swinton and directed by Wes Anderson.

"Llewyn" filmmakers have not yet set a distributor for the drama."

Variety

-------

Some more info below:

Now a clearer picture is emerging on the subject of that movie: the Greenwich Village folk scene seen through the eyes of its larger-than-life patriarch.

The Coen Bros. are working on a script that's loosely based on the life of Dave van Ronk, said a source who was briefed on the project but who declined to be identified because he was not authorized to speak on the filmmakers' behalf. Van Ronk is a legendary musician who presided over New York city's iconoclastic coffeehouse period of the mid-20th century,

The musician, who died in 2002, was known as the uncle of the coffeehouse scene, a big personality famed for his musical acumen, left-wing politics, general erudition and entertaining storytelling. On his watch, era-defining musicians such as Phil Ochs, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell were discovered and cultivated. Van Ronk also was a noted blues guitarist in his own right. A spokeswoman for the Coens did not immediately have a comment on her clients' behalf.

LA Times

-------

Ethan: That’s funny, I don’t remember playback being especially vexed in the USO scene. “O’ Brother Where Art Thou” had a lot of music in it, which was a mix of everything from live performance, I mean on camera performance and a lot of playback and it’s funny we said that.

Joel: I actually don’t remember saying that or why we may have said it. There are certain cumbersome aspects of production that you get used to. We used quite a bit of playback on ‘O’ Brother’.

Noah: And you’re working on a movie now that has quite a bit of music in it.

Joel: Yeah, but I don’t know that it will have any playback.

Ethan: Yeah, it will be mostly live I think.

Joel: We’re working on a movie now that has music in it but it’s pretty much all performed live, single instrument so it’s hard to tell.

indiewire.com
Old 08-31-11, 09:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
re: Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, Coen Bros.) (S: Isaac, Mulligan, Timberlake, Goodman)

Old 09-01-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts
re: Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, Coen Bros.) (S: Isaac, Mulligan, Timberlake, Goodman)

I read that name as "Llewelyn" and thought this was a prequel focusing on Josh Brolin's character from No Country For Old Men.
Old 09-01-11, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read Llewelyn as well..and I thought...Moss? lol...
Old 09-01-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm sure that is terribly disappointing for you Snake...a movie where somebody doesn't get killed? Bullshit!
Old 09-01-11, 02:25 PM
Banned

Deaths keep it real, motherfuckers...
Old 09-01-11, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This sounds infuriatingly boring on paper, but I will still see it.
Old 09-01-11, 08:56 PM
Banned

Staying on topic...yeah, reading the premise I'm bored by it...but I'm game for a Coens film.
Old 09-01-11, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I'm sure that is terribly disappointing for you Snake...a movie where somebody doesn't get killed? Bullshit!
Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Deaths keep it real, motherfuckers...
Some people might get killed, you never know with the Coen brothers. I wouldn't have thought there would be space ships in The Man Who Wasn't There either.

Seriously though, I am a fan and I'll give it a look.
Old 10-14-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Oscar Isaac has landed the coveted lead role in the next film to be directed by Joel and Ethan Coen. Inside Llewyn Davis, which is being made without a domestic distributor, focuses on the early folk music scene in Greenwich Village in the 60s.

Isaac is a fast rising actor who had a showy role in Drive and stars in the Madonna-directed W.E., is currently filming the Tony Gilroy-directed The Bourne Legacy with Jeremy Renner."

Deadline.com

I thought he was pretty cool in Drive with an interesting screen presence.
Old 10-14-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm game for anything Coen but especially excited because of the story. Sounds good and I like Isaac from Drive.
Old 10-14-11, 09:53 AM
Banned

Ditto on Isaac.
Old 10-21-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More casting news...

"On "Inside Llewyn Davis," [Carey] Mulligan will star opposite Oscar Isaac in the Scott Rudin-produced pic that the Coens are writing, directing and producing with Scott Rudin. Story follows a musician who tries to make it in the New York music scene in the 1960s.

It's not known whether Mulligan will be called upon to sing -- but she's certainly shown vocal chops with several strong performances in "Shame."

...the plan is to jump into "Inside Llewyn Davis" in February..."

Variety

A bit of a 'Drive' reunion we got going on here.
Old 10-21-11, 01:48 PM
Banned

yeah...I like Mulligan. So her joining is cool.
Old 10-31-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This week inside Inside Llewyn Davis....

On board!

Can't go wrong when Goodman meets the Coens.

Offered a role...

"Timberlake would play a folk musician named Jim, who, quite interestingly, is married to Carey Mulligan; in this summer's "Drive," Mulligan and Isaac played a married couple."

I like JT, but I don't know about this. I still haven't been able to buy into him as an actor, plus he looks too contemporary to me. But I have faith in the Coen Bros., if they think he's a good fit, who am I to argue?

Last edited by CharlieK; 10-31-11 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-31-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I declare him, from this day forth, to be an OUTLAAAAWWWWW!!!!!
Old 10-31-11, 02:18 PM
Banned

GOODMAN! Woooo!
Old 02-20-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't hear about this anywhere but JT took that role. Anyone who saw him on SNL may have noticed the beard. Honestly, I thought it was fake, looked fake to me, but apparently it's for the movie.

Some on-set news:

"Thursday, the shoot moved to the New Rochelle, NY (Dick Van Dyke Show!) City Hall where Justin and his co-star John Goodman were spotted filming in the rotunda.

And on Friday, they shot scenes at the East Village restaurant Zi’ Pep which was made to look like a ’60s folk club.

In addition to Justin and John, the film stars Oscar Isaac, Carey Mulligan, Garrett Hedlund, and F. Murray Abraham. Isaac plays the title role, a musician trying to make it in the 1960s Greenwich Village folk scene, which explains the elaborate vintage sets."

Didn't know about F. Murray, either. I bet he's going to look cool in a 60's setting. And for anyone not familiar with Garrett Hedlund, like me:

Old 02-20-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some on-set shots. Nothing revelatory.

The Local

Last edited by CharlieK; 02-20-12 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also came across this:

"As previously noted, East Second Street got a 1960s Greenwich Village makeover today, via metal garbage cans, wooden milk crates, and throwback rides, some of them courtesy of the Oldsmobile Club of America. A couple of the movie’s extras, done up in vintage garb, told The Local that Joel and Ethan Coen – both of whom were on hand, as our new photos (clearly!) show – were filming the very first scene of their “screwball comedy,” “Inside Llewyn Davis.” So exciting."

The Local

I didn't know what this movie was going to be like, but I wasn't expecting a screwball comedy. With this cast, I was thinking more of a music infused character piece. Maybe they got it wrong.
Old 02-20-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm ok with the casting, even Timberlake, but I thought that Garrett Hedlund was terrible in Tron Legacy.

I'm not too terribly excited about the premise but being that it's the Coen brothers there's a 98% chance that I''l love it.
Old 02-20-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, the Coen's have some brilliant work AND some real pieces of shit.

I'm not interested in this premise. It'll have to get really good reviews and have an awesome trailer for me to see it.
Old 02-24-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yay. Cast photos. Looking good, Mr. Timberlake.

Old 02-24-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Nice. I'm in for anything Coen.
Old 02-24-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't see this being a slapstick comedy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.