Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th variations (Standard vs. Uncut?)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 09:11 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Just picked up a (I love the 80's) version of the original Friday the 13th, I'm wondering if this version has the interesting little tidbits in it that I remember from seeing it many years ago. I see there's a supposedly 'Uncut' version that adds a whopping 11 seconds back into the movie.

The scene I remember from having seen it years ago...
Spoiler:
is of a kid laying (on his back) on a bunk in a cabin waiting for his girlfriend, when Jason (who is apparently hiding under the bunk) pushes some sharp object through the mattress and through the kids neck. I specifically remember seeing the sharp object (don't remember exactly what it was) pushing up through the kids neck.

I compared movie lengths at DVD Empire, this version and the 'Uncut' version are both 95 minutes long (of course 11 seconds isn't going to change that). What I'd like to know is whether the scene that I remember seeing is in the standard version of this movie (vs. the 'Uncut' version)?

Does anyone know? Thanks in advance, -kd5-
Old 08-29-11, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday the 13th variations (Standard vs. Uncut?)

The kid is Kevin Bacon and that scene is in all versions of the film, it's just longer (gorier) in the uncut version.
Old 08-29-11, 02:51 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

So, is the extra 11 seconds worth of 'Uncut' actually worth paying extra for? -kd5-
Old 08-29-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
So, is the extra 11 seconds worth of 'Uncut' actually worth paying extra for? -kd5-
Some might say yes, some might say no. As as was already said, it's basically just the same scene a bit longer and gorier. Some people don't like the extended scene because they say it makes the scene look more fake. I'm sure you could find a clip on the extended sequence online.
Old 08-29-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The box set had it side by side with the original. It was either a bonus feature on the first movie itself or the bonus disc. It's been years since I watched it, so my memory is hazy.
Old 08-29-11, 04:12 PM

It's been a while since I've watched the dvd's, but I know there are at least three different cuts of the first movie on dvd. There's the single US DVD release, the region 3 'uncut' dvd, and the one that comes in the box set. Each of them have some scenes that are slightly different, though I don't have the comparison list in front of me.

Also... it was not Jason under the bed that killed Kevin Bacon....
Old 08-29-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also believe that the beheading at the end of the film was twice as long in the uncut version. I remember reading/watching something where they had to remove every other frame to speed the scene up.
Old 08-29-11, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I also believe that the beheading at the end of the film was twice as long in the uncut version. I remember reading/watching something where they had to remove every other frame to speed the scene up.
You are right CritterDVD.. there are some differences in the beheading scene as well. There is a site that compares all of the different versions, but I'd have to search for it from home (at work right now). --Rick
Old 08-29-11, 04:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RickWJ324
"Listen, it was Jason! I saw that movie 20 goddamn times!"
Old 08-29-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by RickWJ324
I thought about going there, but I didn't want to be accused of spoilers.

Originally Posted by critterdvd
You're right about that. I forgot about this scene.
Old 08-29-11, 06:39 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Comparison between R-rated and Unrated.
Old 08-29-11, 09:30 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I gotta tell you, the edition I picked up was $3.00 at Big Lots. I'm not so sure an extra 10 or 11 seconds of movie is worth paying twice that or (probably) more. I'm leaning toward just opening this DVD and calling it a day. I can't believe they not only cut 10 or 11 seconds out of an already gory movie (for what?!?), but that they put that 10 or 11 seconds of footage back into an 'Unrated' edition. Talk about milking it for all it's worth... -kd5-
Old 08-29-11, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by kd5
I can't believe they not only cut 10 or 11 seconds out of an already gory movie (for what?!?), but that they put that 10 or 11 seconds of footage back into an 'Unrated' edition. Talk about milking it for all it's worth... -kd5-
Well, it was the MPAA that forced the cuts in the first place over 30 years ago so that the film could get an R rating instead of an X. Ya, it's only 11 seconds, but Annie's throat slicing at the beginning is a cool Tom Savini effect that should be seen uncut. The Kevin Bacon scene is gorier and it's easy to see why the MPAA demanded a few seconds cut there as well. Fans of this film have been demanding an uncensored, pre-MPAA version of this film for decades, and Paramount has ignored and disregarded those demands for just as long, so I don't call the unrated DVD version "milking it for all its worth" at all. The studio finally gave in to the fans after 30 years of waiting, and finally gave them what they've always wanted.

Last edited by man*machine; 08-29-11 at 10:04 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-29-11, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The unrated version was released in the U.K. and Japan among other places at the time of the original release. So bootlegs and or legit home video releases featuring that version existed long before the R1 Paramount release. And it's really no surprise an unrated version of the first film was released since prints existed. Now if unrated editions of the sequels ever came out, that would be a huge surprise since no prints exist so far. But it is still nice the uncut first film finally got a U.S. release, but I wish a branching option were available at least since I'm not a fan of the uncut version.

I think the R rated version is the best version of the film because
Spoiler:
Kevin Bacon's death scene is far more effective in the R version. Since it cuts away before the birds eye view angle in the unrated version, which looks both fake and just takes the impact away by prolonging the scene. So the scene works much better in the R rated version and is a great shock jump moment. The other cuts to the film are so small I hardly notice them, and basically the scenes work in either version. But that one scene(Bacon's death) is ruined in the unrated version, thus the R version is my preferred version to watch.

Also that comparison link posted earlier does miss one addition to the unrated version. The discovery of Bills body on the door with arrows in him is about 1-2 seconds longer from what I recall.
Old 08-30-11, 05:40 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by man*machine
Well, it was the MPAA that forced the cuts in the first place over 30 years ago so that the film could get an R rating instead of an X. Ya, it's only 11 seconds, but Annie's throat slicing at the beginning is a cool Tom Savini effect that should be seen uncut. The Kevin Bacon scene is gorier and it's easy to see why the MPAA demanded a few seconds cut there as well. Fans of this film have been demanding an uncensored, pre-MPAA version of this film for decades, and Paramount has ignored and disregarded those demands for just as long, so I don't call the unrated DVD version "milking it for all its worth" at all. The studio finally gave in to the fans after 30 years of waiting, and finally gave them what they've always wanted.
Regarding the bolded parts, if the additional footage was only recently restored, it tells me that the 95 min. version I bought at Big Lots for $3 is probably the very version I saw when it first came out, the version of this movie that I care about, and the version that I should probably go ahead and add to my collection. Normally I'm all for getting the bestest version of any movie, but 11 seconds is not enough to convince me I need to pay extra for it, and that I need to trade this one in for an 'Uncut' version at 2 or 3 times the price. I'll save my 'going for the bestest version' for the next movie I buy.

Thanks everyone for your input, I very much appreciate it! -kd5-
Old 08-30-11, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by kd5
Regarding the bolded parts, if the additional footage was only recently restored, it tells me that the 95 min. version I bought at Big Lots for $3 is probably the very version I saw when it first came out, the version of this movie that I care about, and the version that I should probably go ahead and add to my collection.
Yep, you are exactly right. You have the original US theatrical version. :-)
Old 08-30-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I guess I'm in the minority, but I absolutely support getting the uncut version of this for the Savini sfx. To me, it's like saying there's no difference in the uncut Robocop, which is also a small amount of time restored, but serious payoff. To each his own, I guess.
Old 09-07-11, 03:34 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still pissed that the deluxe version of Jason Takes Manhattan does not include the scene showing the rocker chicks face after Jason smacks it with her guitar.
Old 09-07-11, 09:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Regarding the bolded parts, if the additional footage was only recently restored, it tells me that the 95 min. version I bought at Big Lots for $3 is probably the very version I saw when it first came out, the version of this movie that I care about, and the version that I should probably go ahead and add to my collection. Normally I'm all for getting the bestest version of any movie, but 11 seconds is not enough to convince me I need to pay extra for it, and that I need to trade this one in for an 'Uncut' version at 2 or 3 times the price. I'll save my 'going for the bestest version' for the next movie I buy.

Thanks everyone for your input, I very much appreciate it! -kd5-
it was never really "recently discovered" since Warner's held the international uncut version rights since they acquired the film for distribution. I assume Paramount just ponied up the right amount of cash and did the transfer themselves. Paramount has had a long standing love-hate relationship with the franchise - it's their cash cow, but the treatment of the series on home video has been a bit spotty. Of the films that received a number of MPAA cuts, II, V, - Paramount has pretty much thrown all the footage into the bin - never to be seen again - which is a real shame since horror fans (and F13 ones) really have wanted to see that excised gore for a long time.
Old 09-07-11, 05:21 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Yep, you are exactly right. You have the original US theatrical version. :-)
Au contraire, mon frere! The original US theatrical version was originally released in the box set, then later was issued as a stand-alone disc. The disc has both the 1st and 2nd films in the series on it. The "I Love the '80s" version is a repackaging of the first DVD issue, which is a weird hybrid version that has some of the death scenes (like Annie's, for instance) a bit longer than in the theatrical version, and some that are actually shorter than in the theatrical version (the death of the killer near the end) (yeah, I'm trying to avoid some spoilers here, just in case).

So, if you want the original theatrical version, you've gotta spring for the either the box set or the Parts I and II double-feature.
Old 09-07-11, 05:38 PM

^^

Thanks for the correction. I don't have the "I love the 80's" version, but just assumed it was the corrected original theatrical version as that did come out on the later box-set as you said. Ya, I do know of that weird hybrid version which was the very first DVD release (uncut Annie scene, but shorter end scene) and I still own that one as a curio, along with the box-set version. Plus the uncut standalone release. Geez, I own three copies of a movie I never watch...
Old 09-07-11, 06:50 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

^^

Geez, I own three copies of a movie I never watch...
I feel your pain, MM. I've got FOUR copies now: the first-released hybrid version; the stand-alone, single-disc double-feature (which was first issued only in the box set); the Japanese Region 2 disc of the uncut version; and, just this weekend, I picked up the domestic Blu-ray of the uncut version.

Old 09-07-11, 08:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, seems silly to me there are so many different variations of this movie out there. I have my one, I'm happy with that... -kd5-