Reload this Page >

If I had a Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine...Demo now up

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-28-11, 01:58 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...talk about a demo actually working for once. I highly recommend downloading asap and giving it a try. First demo I ever played that had me actually shouting out in excitement... (when you fight your first mini boss..and get to do an execute with the B button..you will know what I am talking about)
Old 08-28-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts
Re: If I had a Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine...Demo now up

I thought it was fun. Kinda hard, but fun. It's a game I can certainly wait on until it drops 50% in a Steam sale (those Warhammer games do that like crazy -- Dawn of War II -Retribution came out March 1 for $30 and I got it for $12 last week). Looks pretty nice. Only tried the first demo level -- nice they give you two.
Old 08-28-11, 12:17 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by Decker
I thought it was fun. Kinda hard, but fun. It's a game I can certainly wait on until it drops 50% in a Steam sale (those Warhammer games do that like crazy -- Dawn of War II -Retribution came out March 1 for $30 and I got it for $12 last week). Looks pretty nice. Only tried the first demo level -- nice they give you two.
try the second demo level....its crazy..

as for difficulty...they key is you don't have rebounding health, so you need to do finish moves to get your health back...I played back as much as possible..running all the time...and used the grenade launcher to clear groups...and even take down the bosses...then when my health was half way down, I would stun an enemy with Y...then finish him with B (gets all your health back)...once you just keep doing that it seemed easy...also you build up your rage....click both analog sticks...and it goes into a sort of god mode for about 30 seconds that gives health back as well...
Old 08-29-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great demo. Seemed a decent mix between shooter and melee.

It's also nice to have a big action/adventure game from the Warhammer 40k universe. I love the 40k mythology, but I'm not a PC gamer and I don't have the time to paint a bunch of metal figures.
Old 09-02-11, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Guess I'll be the first to say it ; this kinda looks like gears of war. Mainly the chainsaw and look of the main character. But then again warhammer came before gears. So was gears of war inspired by Warhammer?
Old 09-02-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Guess I'll be the first to say it ; this kinda looks like gears of war. Mainly the chainsaw and look of the main character. But then again warhammer came before gears. So was gears of war inspired by Warhammer?
Absolutely.

This reviewer thought space marine was a rip-off of gears of war. Until he was raped in the comments section:
http://venturebeat.com/2011/05/25/ho...-gears-of-war/
Old 09-06-11, 02:27 PM
gamer for life

Eurogamer gave it a 6 out of 10....reviews are slow coming out...bad sign..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-marine-review
Old 09-06-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Joystiq gave it a 4 out of 5.
Space Marine is a terrific title, and proof that Relic's expertise can extend far past the RTS genre they've already conquered. The game is short, in terms of both length and features, but what's there, especially in the single-player campaign, is of the highest quality. Warhammer fans especially will love it, and hopefully even those who've never heard of Games Workshop's legendary setting will pick it up and learn just where the whole "space marine" idea came from in the first place.
PcGamer 82%
Space Marine is just endless war. Thanks to powerful weapons and excellent pacing, that war is pretty damn fun.
Old 09-25-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just about finished with this game and it's been a blast to play. It seems to strike a perfect balance between melee and shooting combat throughout, and it's been challenging for me without ever getting too frustrating (on Normal difficulty.) It really is pure fun in the way that I think video games are supposed to be. I'm sure it will price drop soon in the middle of all the huge releases coming up, so I highly recommend it when it does (if that's what you're waiting for - I feel satisfied having paid near full price).
Old 12-20-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,173 Likes on 4,202 Posts

It's $20 for a Steamworks download code on Amazon today. Thinking about it...