Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Just got DirecTV installed today. Disappointed in picture quality. Other things....

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Just got DirecTV installed today. Disappointed in picture quality. Other things....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the picture quality on the HD channels is not up to par with what I was getting from Charter with just the basic cable (coax direct to TV, no box involved). Is this just something I have to get used to, or are there ways to tweak the DirecTV signal to improve picture quality?

Also - I have heard that there is a way to watch home video from my PC through the DTV box on the TV. Is there any documentation for this anywhere? I can't find it on the DTV website.

Thanks
Old 08-27-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Just got DirecTV installed today. Disappointed in picture quality. Other things

directv does compress the signal a bit, but so do all other providers. i don't know why you wouldn't be getting as good of picture, though. did you double check to make sure it's set to 1080i/720p in the settings menu?
Old 08-27-11, 05:57 PM
Banned

Re: Just got DirecTV installed today. Disappointed in picture quality. Other things

Yep, double checked all the screen resolution settings. It's definitely HD that's coming through. I'm not that blind.

But it's decidedly not as good as the cable. Guess you get what you pay for. For this much cheaper than cable (and the free NFL Sunday ticket), I'll take it.
Old 08-28-11, 10:57 AM

I went from Direct to Charter and was stunned that Charter's pic quality was so much better.
Old 08-28-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I was going to ask the same thing DefTones did...DirecTV set up my parents house a few years back and when I went to visit at Thanksgiving I found out everything was set to standard-def and not 1080.
Old 08-28-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the difference that huge?

Basically, if you were connected directly to the TV and I guess you have a good TV, that's the best picture you can get. Once you put a box in the middle quality starts to deteriorate.

You may want to check AVS to see if there's any recommended calibration for your TV with DirecTV.
Old 08-28-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I went from Charter to DTV a few years ago and don't remember that much of a difference. Maybe side-by-side I'd notice it more, but otherwise not. I do notice the drop-off compared to OTA HD, but that goes for compared to Charter as well.
Old 08-29-11, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raul3
Is the difference that huge?

Basically, if you were connected directly to the TV and I guess you have a good TV, that's the best picture you can get. Once you put a box in the middle quality starts to deteriorate.

You may want to check AVS to see if there's any recommended calibration for your TV with DirecTV.

Huge enough to go back to Charter prices (and no Sunday Ticket)? No.
Huge enough to really notice it and be disappointed by their "HD"? Yes.

To be sure, the benefits outweigh the poor quality. The whole home DVR service is awesome, and if I can ever figure out how to use this Media Share thing, that will be the icing on the cake. I can see my computers on the DTV receiver, but I can't figure out what file types the thing will actually play. I've tried several different ones already and havne't had any luck yet.

Another DVR question - is there a way to setup a series recording across channels? Or do you have to setup a separate recording for each channel?

Thanks!
Old 08-29-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This may be a YMMV issue. I have had Directv for 15 years. When I lived in St Louis, I had Charter for about 9 months. The picture and sound were definitely better on Directv and Charter's "customer service" really sucked!
Old 08-29-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

A friend has gone from TWC to DTV and I noticed a drop in picture quality. I also cant believe he cant get networks (NBC, Fox, etc) in HD.
Old 08-29-11, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Another DVR question - is there a way to setup a series recording across channels? Or do you have to setup a separate recording for each channel?
each channel which unfortunately suck because the DVR can hold up to 50 series in your manger and if you use 2 or 3 recording on 1 recording.
Old 08-29-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those who have Comcast; ditch them! I just dont want this thread to scare people from moving to DirectTV. They kill Comcast with standard HD channels with a huge hard-drive, worlds faster remote and set-top box... I can't think of and area where Comcast is better. I've got no idea if Charter beats DTV though, so I can't comment there.
Old 08-29-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
A friend has gone from TWC to DTV and I noticed a drop in picture quality. I also cant believe he cant get networks (NBC, Fox, etc) in HD.
Can your friend actually not get his local channels? When I upgraded to HD, the locals didn't show up, so I called customer service and they added them to my lineup.

As far as quality goes, the HD certainly looks better than SD did, but it's closer to upconverted DVD quality than blu-ray quality.
Old 08-30-11, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised to hear complaints about DTV's picture quality, I thought it was way less compressed compared to Brighthouse (TWC), then again it's been a while since I've had either, so maybe things have changed.
Old 08-30-11, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Can your friend actually not get his local channels? When I upgraded to HD, the locals didn't show up, so I called customer service and they added them to my lineup.

As far as quality goes, the HD certainly looks better than SD did, but it's closer to upconverted DVD quality than blu-ray quality.
He gets local, but they are in SD.
Old 08-30-11, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just switched yesterday from Comcast. Depending on the channel the HD quality ranges from slightly worse to much better.

The cost savings ($960 over the next 24 months) and the whole house DVR are completely worth the switch, even if there's a few HD channels we watched a lot that aren't available.
Old 08-30-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I found that DTV HD was much superior to Comcrap. SD, probably worse.
Old 08-30-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
He gets local, but they are in SD.
It depends on the area. I only switched to DirecTV when they added my area to the local HD channel lineup.
Old 08-30-11, 12:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

i like DirecTV. though i have nothing to compare it to as this was first and only HD provider, but i think the Yankee games are crisp and clean and most movies look real good.
Old 08-31-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really considering switching to D-TV from Comcast. However, a few people I've talked to said that the signal going out in rainstorms and snowstorms is still a big deal. Is it a common occurence? Should it still be happening? I like D-TV's prices and the whole room DVR thing but losing the signal is what is keeping me away right now.

Thanks
Old 08-31-11, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Rain fade is only common during storms. Here in AZ, we've had monsoon storms with 60 mph winds, pouring rain and the signal has remained strong. Then, I've had minor storms with hardly any rain and I wasn't getting a signal. It's a pretty rare occurrence.
Old 08-31-11, 09:04 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your signal will also go out more easily if the dish isn't perfectly aligned. My installer did a shitty job and it would go out any time there was a decent downpour. Then a friend re-aligned it for me, and it now only goes out if there's a very large storm, and then only for a few seconds usually. Snow buildup is easy to avoid - spray some Pam/cooking spray on it before winter.
Old 08-31-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Rain fade is only common during storms. Here in AZ, we've had monsoon storms with 60 mph winds, pouring rain and the signal has remained strong. Then, I've had minor storms with hardly any rain and I wasn't getting a signal. It's a pretty rare occurrence.
I've had this happen too. HOWEVER, I have to admit I was impressed that I managed to record the new DOCTOR WHO episode flawlessly on Saturday night right in the middle of hurricane Irene. I think it really does have to do with how well your dish was installed and focused honestly.
Old 08-31-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, we almost never lose signal during thunderstorms. It has to be REALLY bad to affect our picture these days. Snowstorms seem to be a little worse, but that's only if snow/ice build up on the dish. I'm definitely going to try that cooking spray trick this winter.
Old 08-31-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I've been very impressed at how well the reception has been when it rains. It doesn't snow where I live, so I can't comment on that. Have I lost reception in the rain? Yes, I have, but most of the time it's only for a few seconds. That only happens when it rains really hard, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.